I-Pace EV 2018 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crashing An I-Pace

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2024, 05:03 PM
Received 681 Likes on 490 Posts
Default Crashing An I-Pace

I totaled my latest I-Pace in November of 2023, and I just found the dashcam video of the crash. This was a pandemic car, and even though it was an HSE, it was missing some features like collision protection, which I wasn't aware was missing on the car. This was the first evening of the time change; Bend (where I live) is a light abatement city, so the streets tend to be dark when the moon isn't yet up and the sun has just gone down. I couldn't see right very well nor could I see left very well, it was one of the worst intersections in the city, and I'd just been nearly killed at this same intersection 2 days before this by a speeding car that almost T-Boned me so I was a bit freaked out. I looked right, and it was clear, but then I hesitated a moment, looking left because I couldn't tell how far the approaching cars were from me (and this was the same direction, from the left, I'd been nearly hit from before). So I was leaning forward when the car I didn't see from my right moved in front of me, on hitting it the airbag fired hitting me in my temple and knocking me out cold. My foot went to the floor, accelerating the car sharply until it hit the curb and launched up, fracturing my L1 (my back) and then ramming into a hill of heavy rocks, totaling the car. A gas car likely would have stalled at the initial collision, and the damage would have been relatively minor, but electric cars still have full power and that massive amount of torque, which destroyed the car after I passed out. The city added two more stop signs after several similar accidents, both before and after mine. Now, that intersection is relatively safe (it is slated to become a traffic circle).

So, if it looks like you will crash, take your foot off the gas pedal if you can (I was knocked out before I saw the danger). I should add had I not hit that wall of rocks, I'd have gone down the street full throttle, out cold, and likely wouldn't be here today. And I should point out that while the outside of the car was destroyed, the inside, other than the dashcam falling off the windshield, was pristine; the car protected me from further harm.

I picked up a 1218 Audi TTS as a temporary car until I could find another electric and just bought a 2022 Audi E-Tron GT, which is the closest thing I could find to my I-Pace, which I still think was the best car I've ever owned. I pick up the E-Tron GT next week.

Here is the dashcam video of the crash:

Old 06-10-2024, 05:30 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, I'm glad to hear you are doing ok after this. Thank you for sharing.

The following users liked this post:
enderle (06-11-2024)