I-Pace EV 2018 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Electrical fault detected - click OK to clear" message

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2022, 10:21 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Question "Electrical fault detected - click OK to clear" message

Our 2022 I-Pace is now six months old and has been doing quite well since being fixed up after someone sideswiped me several months back. This morning, we unplugged the car from it's overnight charge, hopped in and started it, and then received the warning message noted in the title of this thread. We didn't click to clear, but turned the vehicle off and restarted it. The message did not return. We took the car out for an errand and did not see it return.

This error is not listed in the owner's manual with the other warning and informational messages. I searched the Web to see if others have experienced this and I did come across one 2022 I-Pace owner on the i-paceforum.com site who mentioned he had seen these warnings several times, but they were easily cleared. He attributed them to a software defect. I worry that the warning may be a prelude to a major failure that could come at a very inconvenient time. Does anyone else see these warnings or know anything about them? I just emailed my dealer service department and will report back on anything they have to say. Thanks!

Old 09-10-2022, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Normally with fault messages, a fault code is stored and can then be read to see what the problem is. If you could still run the car, then it doesn't sound serious, but best to get it checked out, I think.

The following users liked this post:
dpiatt (09-10-2022)
Old 09-11-2022, 03:29 PM
Received 681 Likes on 490 Posts

On an older car like mine, it might be the smaller 12-volt batteries are failing (I'm sweating that with my car at the moment), but that shouldn't be an issue yet with your car. Though that battery could be faulty in your car and if it fails, you'll be stuck (and it is a pain to replace that battery if you follow the recommended procedure, which includes also disconnecting the drive battery). I'd have it checked to be sure were it my car. But, it could also be a software problem that may self-clear. Given I'm not a fan of getting stuck and having to call a tow truck,, were it my car, I'd schedule a time to have my local Jaguar dealer check It out.

The following 2 users liked this post by enderle:
dpiatt (09-11-2022), GGG (09-13-2022)
Old 08-22-2024, 07:16 AM

I did reach out to the dealer and the Service manager said it was probably just a glitch. All was well until 2-1/2 years later, when I had just fully charged the vehicle and drove five miles. We left the car for 30 minutes and came back to start it. I first received "Stop Safely - Electrical Fault Detected" and the car would not even move. The AC was in low power mode, power steering was not working, etc.

I left it that way for 30 minutes waiting for Jaguar Road Assistance and restarted the car. This time, I got an "OK to drive with caution - Traction battery fault detected." The car would now move, power steering worked, but the AC was not cooling at all (heat pump off). I put the car in an easier place to tow and the tow truck was there shortly afterward.

Jaguar Service told me that the 12V battery was low and that, after they charged it, the errors went away. The battery check showed that the battery was fine and did not need replacing. He suggested I drive it more, but I told him I drive it 15 miles a day on average. They did update a lot of modules and one of the fixes reduces the time that the battery drains after turning the car off. I always take the OTA updates the same day they are available, so that's up to date. Since then, I've been driving for two weeks without issues, but I do now carry a small jump starter in the frunk to be on the safe side.

Other than this, the car has been a dream.

Last edited by dpiatt; 08-23-2024 at 07:00 AM.
enderle (08-23-2024)
Old 08-23-2024, 08:15 AM

Glad it has all worked out, the use of these 12-volt redundant electric systems is because most cars are ICE and they too are 12-volt. It is expected that the industry will eventually pivot from this redundant system and fully power the car from the main battery,. Jaguar should make this pivot with the new generation of cars. We'll see, but the car is awesome, glad it is working well for you again.

dpiatt (08-23-2024)
Old 08-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Angry My experience

I would like to add my experience to this thread. After a recall software update in June of 2023, I started seeing the traction battery fault. I booked an appointment with my dealer, but the car failed to start before my appointment date, so I had to have the car towed in. Between software and hardware updates, my car was with the dealership for 10 months! I got it back in May 2024, but after a fast charge, the fault came back, and my car started limiting it's charging to 72%. I again called the dealership. They informed me that, while this was a problem, they wanted to come up with a plan before I brought the car in. They let me know that the car was safe to drive until then, so kept it for another few weeks. At that time, I had a major electrical fault that shut down a bunch of systems, including power steering. We again had the car towed to the dealership. They have had it for about 2 more months now. I'm hoping to get it back in the next couple of weeks.

It's been a tough year

The following 2 users liked this post by hotpinkturban:
dpiatt (08-27-2024), enderle (08-27-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 07:03 AM

Sorry to hear this. It really sucks to get into your car to go somewhere and wonder if it will get you there.

Old 08-27-2024, 02:31 PM

I am so sorry you are going through this, here is hoping it eventually works out.