I-Pace EV 2018 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anybody come up with a way to stop charging reliably based on charge percentage

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 04:19 PM
Received 119 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Has anybody come up with a way to stop charging reliably based on charge percentage

We plan to keep my wife's new I pace for 15-20 years until she retires at the very least so long term battery life is a major concern for me. All my friends with other electric makes say to keep charging for normal driving in that 20-80 percent range as going up to 100 percent isn't good on the batteries if they are gonna sit that way without being driven shortly after (well with Covid she is not exactly driving much). We thought the Wattcat app would be the ticket but the car doesn't want to listen to it when it tells it you've reached x percent unless my wife isn't doing it right. Thoughts on a way to accomplish this? Once she is back on a normal schedule I guess she can just tell it to start charging x number of hours before leaving in the morning but right now that isn't viable. Thanks.

Old 01-12-2021, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

When I was shown an I-Pace at our local Jaguar club meeting two years ago, as I remember, the salesman explained that the software on the car was designed so as to keep the battery within its longest life parameters. So whilst it might say 100% charged, this was as much as was prudent, and didn't necessarily mean the battery was fully charged and couldn't accept any more charging. There was quite a long warranty (UK) on the battery, but nothing like 20 years, of course !

The following users liked this post:
Arne (01-19-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
When I was shown an I-Pace at our local Jaguar club meeting two years ago, as I remember, the salesman explained that the software on the car was designed so as to keep the battery within its longest life parameters. So whilst it might say 100% charged, this was as much as was prudent, and didn't necessarily mean the battery was fully charged and couldn't accept any more charging. There was quite a long warranty (UK) on the battery, but nothing like 20 years, of course !
Yeah but this is the same Jaguar who insists fluids are lifetime even after the manufacturer of the tranny changes their mind and recommends fluid changes. Since every other ev manufacturer recommends that 80ish fill it would seem that if Jaguar stopped their percentage early they would be doing a disservice to their range availability in a world of range is king so I don't think that is the case. Again tonight wattcat said unable to stop at requested percentage.

enderle (01-12-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Originally Posted by TreVoRTasmin
Yeah but this is the same Jaguar who insists fluids are lifetime even after the manufacturer of the tranny changes their mind and recommends fluid changes. Since every other ev manufacturer recommends that 80ish fill it would seem that if Jaguar stopped their percentage early they would be doing a disservice to their range availability in a world of range is king so I don't think that is the case. Again tonight wattcat said unable to stop at requested percentage.
Well, of course, the salesman could have been talkling nonsence of course, but here in the UK there is an 8 year battery warranty that the battery will be able to accept an 8-0% charge at the end of the 8 years. Of course that's some time in the future, and we all know one can never know what lies ahead. Will Tesla be around then ? It looks like a bubble company to me

Old 01-17-2021, 09:49 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have also heard from Jaguar and read that a 100% indicated charge is approximately 94% of the capacity of the battery, and that the battery control software optimizes charging. I charge mine to 100% without concern.

I’ve got a ChargePoint connected charger at my house that allows for various charging parameters to be set. Something like that may give you some options if you choose to stop before 100%.

Arne (01-19-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I have also heard from Jaguar and read that a 100% indicated charge is approximately 94% of the capacity of the battery, and that the battery control software optimizes charging. I charge mine to 100% without concern.

I’ve got a ChargePoint connected charger at my house that allows for various charging parameters to be set. Something like that may give you some options if you choose to stop before 100%.
94 percent is well above what any other manufacture recommends for normal charging and with Jaguars cluelessness in the past I am quite certain they are serving koolaid instead of real data to support this just like they did for years (and continue to do so) on lifetime fluids. For most Jaguar EV owners they probably don't care about keeping batteries as long as possible on a "toy", however, for us that longevity is vital.

Marketing departments may try but the rules of physics are what make the 20-80 percent the ideal spot on these batteries and no amount of fairy dust will change that.

We also have a chargepoint and no their app doesn't include anything like that either but of course every other manufacturer's app lets you chose any charge percentage you want. The wattcat lets you but it doesn't work most of the time with our car for whatever reason. Still waiting to hear back from the designer regarding that bug. Hopefully they will come up with a bandaid that works more effectively.

Last edited by TreVoRTasmin; 01-20-2021 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:20 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Our I-Pace certainly isn't a toy; it's my wife's daily driver. That said, we typically keep cars for 6 or 7 years and then trade or sell them. I suspect that BEV technology will improve significantly over the next 6 or 7 years, and we'll trade up to something that's quite a bit different than today's technology. I guess I just don't get too worked up about this. I plug it in, drive it, and don't worry about it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dennis C:
Arne (01-30-2021), Chawumba (08-24-2021)
Old 05-02-2021, 02:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a Blink charger for our two EVs and when I plug in the I Pace I can delay the start of charge between 2 to 8 hours. I always delay the charge to start between 11 and 12 PM so that the car will have about a 75% to 95% charge when I get up the next morning to un plug it. Works OK but you have to remember to un plug in the morning. Jaguar should have included software to allow charging to a set percentage.