I-Pace EV 2018 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I-Pace Spare Tire or Mobility Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2022, 11:54 PM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts
Default I-Pace Spare Tire or Mobility Kit

Shortly after we got our 2019 I-Pace home from L.A., a few weeks ago, it had a nail in a tire, at home. 15 miles drive to Costco to get new tires installed (even at 29K miles original ones were nearly to the wear bars) so I used the can of sealant in the "mobility" kit. Sealed it up well enough to get there but now I have no sealant for any future flat. I'm anxious to head over the mountains to the Mendocino Coast but not with no spare, no sealant, and many places along that trip with no cell coverage.

So I thought I could just get another can of the sealant at any local auto parts store and soon learned otherwise. Yes, there are sealants but not ones to work with the compressor in the car. I figured I'd order more on-line but everything I found was very confusing. The can I used is labeled Continental (as in Conti tires). Trying to find a replacement via Google, the first suggestion coming up was from Griott's Garage. Looked the part but digging into Griott's website I found that that sealant is only to use with Griott's own compressor and probably won't work. I'd think a can of sealant for a kit for a Land Rover--or even a Ford--should work but even the Land Rover replacement bottles, once I read the fine print, say it won't work for the Jaguar (hard to believe). Jaguar dealers (on-line as I'm about 75 miles from the nearest) want a lot for a bottle of the sealant and I didn't exactly find definitive answers there, either, as to what to order (does a new bottle come with a new hose?).

Even if I can get our dubious mobility kit replenished, I would feel more comfortable having (also) a proper spare tire of some sort and a jack and lug wrench (our I-Pace didn't come with either of those tools). So I read all back through posts on this forum and several other I-Pace fora (probably most of the others in the UK). I found that the F-Pace spare fits (both front and rear) so might try to find a spare and tools from one of those (much more available). Interestingly, I saw posts of I-Pace owners whose cars actually came with full-size matching spares, which took up most of the trunk space, were covered in fitted canvas cases, and strapped down to the corner anchors. Unsurprisingly, most of those owners seemed to have removed those spares and kept them at home in the garage. Lot of good that will do for a flat far from home.

Even if I were to get the emergency space-saver "donut" spare that's intended for the I-Pace or the one from an F-Pace, I sort of got the message that it might not quite fit all the way down in the spare well and might make the cover panel stick up a bit from the floor. That would suck. What can those on this forum tell me about this? Anyone here have one of these actual space-saver spares in your I-Pace? Sources for the sealant bottles?

Thanks in advance,

Granville

Old 06-03-2022, 09:59 AM
GGG
Received 16,843 Likes on 12,184 Posts

Granville,

I'd expected some replies from I-Pace owners before now ........

The principle is the same across JLR models so I'll give you my thoughts.

The JLR 'mobility' kit in my XK is a rebadged standard 'ContiMobilityKit' product and I'd be surprised to find the I-Pace is any different. If I'm right, do a search on Continental sealant and you should find the same item at considerably less than a JLR Dealer will charge. It come in two pack sizes so be sure to check for the correct volume.

My F-Pace has a Temporary Spare and a set of wheel changing tools - my preferred option. On the one time I've had to use it, the full size wheel doesn't fit in the spare wheel well so factor in how and where to carry the flat if you go for full size temporary or a 'donut' spare.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
enderle (06-04-2022)
Old 06-04-2022, 05:24 PM

Thanks @GGG but even searching Contimobilitykit and everything else I can think of is no help. I can read all about it on Continental's website but find no way to actually order the stuff. Mine is the 450ml bottle but even that I cannot find any link that lets me order a bottle or two, at least not any link that is clear about it. Where did you get yours?

Old 06-04-2022, 05:57 PM
GGG
Received 16,843 Likes on 12,184 Posts

Originally Posted by 150FHC
...... Where did you get yours?
6000 miles away from you.

It's listed on Amazon UK. Did you check Amazon in the US?

Graham

Old 06-04-2022, 07:15 PM

Yes, @GGG I checked. Like you I found it listed on Amazon in the UK but not so in the US. Super annoying. Also tried Conti's website. Tells all about the refills except how and where to get them. I asked Conti via its help link but of course it's unlikely I'll get a reply on the weekend.

My XK8 coupe has a temp/donut spare. I wonder if it will fit my I-Pace. If so I could carry it (and its tools) for out-of-town jaunts in the I-Pace until I get this situation sorted out. I'm not likely after all to be using both cars at once.

Last edited by 150FHC; 06-04-2022 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-05-2022, 03:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

If it's possible to fit a spare wheel, plus wheel removal tools, (jack and wheelbrace), then I would always go for that option. My XE came with the blow-up kit, and I managed to buy an unused spare wheel and tyre and also the toolkit and its storage moulding off the internet. I had to buy a new boot floor, because the one for a spare wheel fitment is wider, (it sits higher). I have kept the blow-up pump and use it for when I need to put air in the tyres of any of my cars.
Here is the "puncture" I recently suffered on my MG TF. A pump-up ain't going to sort that out !! Fortunately these cars always came with a spare wheel.

Old 06-06-2022, 07:04 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Our 2022 I-Pace came with self-sealing tires, which my local tire dealer speaks favorably of. They are more expensive and can't survive a truly big puncture, but can handle most of the nails/screws/etc. that drivers face on the roads. They can also be repaired in some cases. Our other car also has no spare and came with run-flat tires, which are dangerous to repair since it's hard to tell how much internal structural damage has occurred.

Old 06-07-2022, 11:46 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

First accessory I ordered for mine was a sealant/pump combo. Won’t help with a serious blowout but will with 75% of flats. Nice self-contained bag fits easily in the net inside the frunk.

Old 06-14-2022, 11:18 PM

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I have yet to find a source for a replacement can of goop.

I had initially supposed that I could remove the foam tray that contains the "mobility kit" to reveal an actual spare tire well. Ha! I had that wrong! There is no such well. When I saw the pictures in the manual of the spare, taking up nearly the entire luggage space, I foolishly supposed that that was a full sized spare. Ha! Fooled me twice; shame on me.

I will certainly not acquire one of those spares, although if the one for my XK8 would serve, I might carry it on trips to the Mendocino Coast as the route there has many sections with no cell phone coverage.

Old 07-14-2022, 11:42 AM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Did you ever find replacement sealant? I went looking for a new bottle due to the expiration date on mine was way out of date. I found Airman tire sealant on Amazon for $20. Its 450 ml like the original, fits perfectly in the hole in my styrofoam carrier by the battery and as a bonus, does not ruin the pump when you use it. Your pump connects to the inlet of the bottle and forces the goop out thru its own dedicated hose. I have not tested it for effectiveness and frankly hope I never do but I think it should be OK. According to the date on the bottle it is good for 5 years.

The following users liked this post:
Docrwm (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 05:55 PM

Thanks @Jberry20 for your reply. No I still have no sealant for my mobility kit. When I searched online the Airman sealant showed up. I was going to order it but the company appears to claim that its sealant works only with its proprietary inflation system. I didn't necessarily believe that but was chicken to take a chance. Of course I'm taking a bigger chance as it is, driving around with NO sealant!

Granville

Old 07-14-2022, 07:08 PM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Look for the one they call Unibottle. It is supposed to be used with "any" inflation system and from my hands on inspection that seems right.

Old 07-14-2022, 10:30 PM

Thanks @Jberry20. I ordered it. Unlike in my previous attempts, here it says this works with the OEM compressors that came with various cars. At $20 from Amazon I figure it's worth a try.

Granville

Old 07-18-2022, 09:29 PM

Replacement can of goop arrived today and I stuffed it into the cubby where the original Continental bottle rested. Fit in fine. I'm glad for the feeling of security with that back there as we took a drive over the mountains yesterday without it, through many areas of little or no cell reception. No problems but one never knows what can happen, even with new tires.