I-Pace EV 2018 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPace and 3G service issue ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 05:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Post iPace and 3G service issue ...

Okay like a lot of you in North America (US) i have been having problems with my connected car thru AT&T since they turned off 3G service ... Here so far is where I am at ... and what I have done ... from start to finish ...

When I bought the car - I had the free trial like everyone does at 4G service ...once I paid for it it went to 3G ... (Probably something with AT&T to keep bandwidth issues at bay) ... Replaced my SIM card ... still 3G ... I am fine with that worked for what i needed ...

Fast forward to Feb 27th 2022 ... AT&T turns off 3G service to US-North America area ... here is where the fun starts ... read thru all the sites about it both iPace and other cars ... and came up with a game plan to see if I can fix it...
(1) Call Jaguar 800-452-4827 select #9 - to verify that yes my car can take 4G ... this is important ... because it starts your case ... get your case number ...
(2) Find a friend that has T-Moblie ... verify that there card will work with your system ... if you show 4G and can browse on the car's browser at 4G (used Fast.com) to check the speed ... I got about 11mbs to 34mbs did it 4 or 5 times ... took pictures with my phone ... gave back my friends SIM ...
Now you can stop here if you have T-Moblie and just get a SIM for your car ... and your golden .... I do not have T-Moblie so like me Read-ON ...
(3) Contact ATT - Connected car ... first log into your online account get your Car Number from there makes things a lot easier ... check that your Vin there is the same as in the Jaguar App ... No issues for me but always best to check...
Go thru the level 1 & 2 tech checks ... at this time they will say there system shows you as a 3G customer ... and that you need to contact Jaguar ... let them know that you would like to try something out if they do not mind ... be pushy if you have too...
(A) have them delete your account - Give you a pro-rated credit back for the unused account amount ... which will completely kick your car out of there system Vin and all ...
(B) ask them to call you back 24 to 48 hours later ... mine called me 24 hours later on the dot ... to re-due the account with you online ... (I was a little un-patent and redid mine 24 hours later exactly) ... but once you do they should now see your car as a 4G LTE car ... and ask them to run the level 1 & 2 Tests again ... you should
still not be hooked to there system ... but this resets everything on the cellular side and may work ... (NOT) ... but leads to the next thing ... keep the new account open ... ask for a Level 3 person to call or email back at a later date ... so that you can get a ticket number if you have issues after the next step.... get your new car number and case number ...
(4) Call Jaguar USA or North America - at - 800-452-4827 select #9 ... give them the previous case number from (1) ... so you do not have to explain everything all over ... let them know that AT&T has reset your SIM and that you show as a 4G car on there system ... at this point it depends on the level of person you are dealing with ... (a) ask them to verify that they SIM number they have on file for your car is actually the one in the car ... once they verify it is correct ... (b) have them verify if your TCU is up-to-date ... mine was several versions behind ... i was at version 20.2 ... I think there are different versions for different batches of cars ... probably based on chip-set and controllers actually in your vehicle ...
(5) Take it to the deal to get the TCU upgrades and hopefully fix small bugs too... (I am at this step ... will let you all know if it gets fixed ... ) ... did not have clear direction and just hate to leave people hanging ...

Some things ... to think of ... I talked with the Jaguar Rep about the TCU updates ... they are usually done over the air ... with-out our knowledge ... but when they get too far behind the dealership has to do it ... depending on how far back you are... this could cause all sorts of problems ... range reading ... app functionality ... on-board cameras ... and she said the list goes on and on ...

Please chime in and let me know if this helps or I am barking up the wrong tree... Tony C.

The following 2 users liked this post by tc95:
dpiatt (04-21-2022), enderle (03-30-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 11:45 AM

Update - The Jaguar dealer took in my iPace on March 22nd 2022 ... they are are having issues giving loaner cars... But at this point they are doing diagnostic work ... I will keep this updated ... Tony C.

Old 04-20-2022, 07:07 PM

Okay - so as of April 20th 2022 - I received the iPace back and I have 4G and my camera's are good ... so the above info did work ... long process but gets it done ... !!!

I hope this helps someone ...

The following 2 users liked this post by tc95:
Carbuff2 (04-21-2022), dpiatt (04-21-2022)
Old 08-20-2022, 06:38 PM
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Jaguar XF-S 2017 3G SIM card RESOLVED solution

Originally Posted by tc95
Okay like a lot of you in North America (US) i have been having problems with my connected car thru AT&T since they turned off 3G service ... Here so far is where I am at ... and what I have done ... from start to finish ...

When I bought the car - I had the free trial like everyone does at 4G service ...once I paid for it it went to 3G ... (Probably something with AT&T to keep bandwidth issues at bay) ... Replaced my SIM card ... still 3G ... I am fine with that worked for what i needed ...

Fast forward to Feb 27th 2022 ... AT&T turns off 3G service to US-North America area ... here is where the fun starts ... read thru all the sites about it both iPace and other cars ... and came up with a game plan to see if I can fix it...
(1) Call Jaguar 800-452-4827 select #9 - to verify that yes my car can take 4G ... this is important ... because it starts your case ... get your case number ...
(2) Find a friend that has T-Moblie ... verify that there card will work with your system ... if you show 4G and can browse on the car's browser at 4G (used Fast.com) to check the speed ... I got about 11mbs to 34mbs did it 4 or 5 times ... took pictures with my phone ... gave back my friends SIM ...
Now you can stop here if you have T-Moblie and just get a SIM for your car ... and your golden .... I do not have T-Moblie so like me Read-ON ...
(3) Contact ATT - Connected car ... first log into your online account get your Car Number from there makes things a lot easier ... check that your Vin there is the same as in the Jaguar App ... No issues for me but always best to check...
Go thru the level 1 & 2 tech checks ... at this time they will say there system shows you as a 3G customer ... and that you need to contact Jaguar ... let them know that you would like to try something out if they do not mind ... be pushy if you have too...
(A) have them delete your account - Give you a pro-rated credit back for the unused account amount ... which will completely kick your car out of there system Vin and all ...
(B) ask them to call you back 24 to 48 hours later ... mine called me 24 hours later on the dot ... to re-due the account with you online ... (I was a little un-patent and redid mine 24 hours later exactly) ... but once you do they should now see your car as a 4G LTE car ... and ask them to run the level 1 & 2 Tests again ... you should
still not be hooked to there system ... but this resets everything on the cellular side and may work ... (NOT) ... but leads to the next thing ... keep the new account open ... ask for a Level 3 person to call or email back at a later date ... so that you can get a ticket number if you have issues after the next step.... get your new car number and case number ...
(4) Call Jaguar USA or North America - at - 800-452-4827 select #9 ... give them the previous case number from (1) ... so you do not have to explain everything all over ... let them know that AT&T has reset your SIM and that you show as a 4G car on there system ... at this point it depends on the level of person you are dealing with ... (a) ask them to verify that they SIM number they have on file for your car is actually the one in the car ... once they verify it is correct ... (b) have them verify if your TCU is up-to-date ... mine was several versions behind ... i was at version 20.2 ... I think there are different versions for different batches of cars ... probably based on chip-set and controllers actually in your vehicle ...
(5) Take it to the deal to get the TCU upgrades and hopefully fix small bugs too... (I am at this step ... will let you all know if it gets fixed ... ) ... did not have clear direction and just hate to leave people hanging ...

Some things ... to think of ... I talked with the Jaguar Rep about the TCU updates ... they are usually done over the air ... with-out our knowledge ... but when they get too far behind the dealership has to do it ... depending on how far back you are... this could cause all sorts of problems ... range reading ... app functionality ... on-board cameras ... and she said the list goes on and on ...

Please chime in and let me know if this helps or I am barking up the wrong tree... Tony C.
I own a 2017 XF-S and I had the same problems with the AT&T 3 G SIM card. I live in Quebec, Canada but all Jaguar comes with an AT&T (USA) SIM card ? Guest the reasons???
with the 3G Sunset, I found that I didn’t received the traffic update via the SIM card. I checked with JLR has above to find out that it is all related with the TCU.
2015 and 2017 TCU are not upgradable for a 4G and the only answer my dealer gave me was to change my TCU for about the price of 957$ with 3 hour’s labor!

OK now comes the incredible saga. We pay annually for Incontrol Pro and maps update, witch includes traffic update but the 3G card doesn’t work anymore. So I did remove my SIM card from the reader:

Test 1- pressed the SOS JLR panic button - JLR respond over my call. So communication doesn’t use the SIM card !

Test 2 - I pressed the Mecanic emergency button - JLR respond over my call. Again communication doesn’t rely on the SIM card !!

Test 3- I connect via My cellular (wifi setting / connect / share my cell data) to the car before moving the car - connection is done and Traffic update work for the time your car is connect via wifi thrue your cell !!!

Test 4 - I took my wife cell phone SIM card (Bell card) place it in the Sim card reader, car connected by itself with Bell network and Traffic update works perfectly

So I went to Bell boutique to buy a Data plan with a SIM card for a connect car program. The technicien told me, because the car is already a « client » of ATT, I have to cancel my connection with AT&T then they could install and programs the new Bell SIM card. Sound normal but not with a Jaguar !!!!

I went over the web and you have a site from AT&T regarding « https://myvehicle.att.com/#/landing?country=US&language=en ». So I log in too my account and you have the possibility to cancel the connection and remove your car (Sim card) from AT&T supplier. This is non reversible but because it doesn’t work I had nothing to lose.

I was ready now to go and buy an annual plan of data with Bell for about 200 $ / year but…..I said why not doing a final TEST, TEST 5…..

TEST 5: i placed my AT&T SIM card in the SIM card reader (witch is unregistered with AT&T, so as you should know like me, the data should not work anymore with AT&T or with any others networks).

BINGO the car did connect (to Rodgers network supplier) and since then I do have a 3G connection and, Traffic update work as it was working before the AT&T 3G sunset.

if you don’t believe me try it before spending time and money with Jaguar dealers or buying any data plan or any SIM card.

See the pictures with the connection, 3G and trafic update working fine.

I have attached the JLR official technical topics about this and they don’t even know how to fix this themselves.

Mobil data activated

I am not a Rodgers customer but this is the network connected to the ex-AT&T SIM card

3G signal connection in the upper far right corner

Trafic updated

Trafic activated

JLR Technical Topics 3G AT&T Sunset

Last edited by Ledmi; 08-20-2022 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-20-2022, 07:55 PM
Default Just a few more ideas ...

Originally Posted by Ledmi
I own a 2017 XF-S and I had the same problems with the AT&T 3 G SIM card. I live in Quebec, Canada but all Jaguar comes with an AT&T (USA) SIM card ? Guest the reasons???
with the 3G Sunset, I found that I didn’t received the traffic update via the SIM card. I checked with JLR has above to find out that it is all related with the TCU.
2016 and 2017 TCU are not upgradable for a 4G and the only answer my dealer gave me was to change my TCU for about the price of 957$ with 3 hour’s labor!

OK now comes the incredible saga. We pay annually for Incontrol Pro and maps update, witch includes traffic update but the 3G card doesn’t work anymore. So I did remove my SIM card from the reader:

Test 1- pressed the SOS JLR panic button - JLR respond over my call. So communication doesn’t use the SIM card !

Test 2 - I pressed the Mecanic emergency button - JLR respond over my call. Again communication doesn’t rely on the SIM card !!

Test 3- I connect via My cellular (wifi setting / connect / share my cell data) the car before moving the car - connection is done and Traffic update work for the time your car is connect via wifi thrue your cell !!!

Test 4 - I took my wife cell phone SIM card (Bell card) place it in the swim card reader, car connected by itself with Bell network and Traffic update works perfectly

So I went to Bell boutique to buy a Data plan with a SIM card for a connect car program. The technicien told me, because the car is already a « client » of ATT, I have to cancel my connection with AT&T then they could install and programs the new Bell SIM card. Sound normal but not with a Jaguar !!!!

i went over the web and you have a site from AT&T regarding « myconnectedcar » but I don’t have the exact www site. So I log in too my account and you have the possibility to cancel the connection and remove your car f(Sim card) rom AT&T supplier. This is non reversible but because it doesn’t work I had nothing to lose.

I was ready now to go and buy an annual plan of data with Bell for about 200 $ / year but…..I said why not doing a final TEST 5…..

TEST 5: i placed my AT&T SIM card in the SIM card reader (witch is unregistered with AT&T, so as you should know like me, doesn’t work anymore with AT&T or any others networks). BINGO the car did connect (to I don’t know what network supplier) and since then I do have a 3G connection and Traffic update work as it was working before the AT&T 3G sunset.

if you don’t believe me try it before spending time and money with Jaguar dealers or buying any data plan or any SIM card.

If needed I can provided pictures of the screens (incontrol panel).

I have attached the JLR official technical topics about this and they don’t even know how to fix this themselves.

Mobil data activated

I am not a Rodgers customer but this is the network connected to the ex-AT&T SIM card

3G signal connection in the upper far right corner

Trafic updated

Trafic activated

JLR Technical Topics 3G AT&T Sunset

Well I am glad I'm not the only one that had to look outside the box ... Now I have a friend that has a 2017 Jag ... He just went to one of those prepaid cellular companies that took over the ATT 3g signal ....

My wife's Audi was given by Audi free a Bluetooth 4g upgrade for her car which has worked flawless since the update ... I looked on eBay and Amazon they sell the Bluetooth boxes for cars for a few hundred USD .... That might be a way to do it too ... Tony C