I-Pace EV 2018 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar Could become an all electric brand

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 01:13 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts
Default Jaguar Could become an all electric brand

This has been floating around for a while but there is a chance Jaguar will discontinue its ICE cars and become a stronger European counter to Tesla: https://www.iol.co.za/motoring/indus...b-d31458b1ee7c

Old 08-24-2020, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Lets hope not !

Old 09-01-2020, 03:04 AM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

I don't think this is in the cards. Part of the UK government bailout plan requirements was to accelerate deprecation of diesel engines and accelerate electrification, but JLR did not agree and the talks faltered.
The I-Pace was not exactly a success for them, so I can understand the cold feet.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:11 AM
Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

Just responded in the F-Type forum about the Jag EV news. See my thoughts there. As I mention, always thought JLR to be a company that embraces new technology. I am planning to keep my XKR for a long time and hope I do not have to refine my own fuel to drive it in the near future. Shopping for EV daily driver this year. Lots of choices and prices are coming down. Polling EV owner friends about the #1 benefit of EV ownership and it is zero maintenance, hands down. For the daily driver this is perfect. My first will likely be a crossover/SUV for the wife. Imagine a trouble free, low 0-60 time Jag!
Kinda got a nice ring to it.

Old 02-19-2021, 09:26 AM

I love my I-Pace, granted being one of the first to buy one came with the typical first-generation problems but since then it has been incredibly reliable and surprisingly good in the snow. Another advantage is charging at home and never having to go to a gas station. The car is a ton of fun and corners surprisingly well. It has become one of my favorite cars of all time.

Old 02-19-2021, 09:39 AM

Thanks Rob, I have the i-pace on the list. I hope to do some shopping and test driving with my wife one the weather gets nice. It will all come down to a good lease price and comfort level my wife has with the vehicle. Being a new technology, it may take getting used to. We'll do quite a bit of test driving to cure that. The only real requirements are 4 or all wheel drive, crossover/suv, heated seats and steering wheel. We were both spoiled with the XKR convertible heated seats and steering wheel. It comes in handy in cold weather and when driving at night with the top down. I'd like Android Auto. Range does not matter too much as it will be a DD for around town. I have other trucks for towing and the XKR for touring. I guess styling plays a great part, Jaguar has no problem in this area.

Does the i-pace have a preferred level 2 charger or are there any other recommendations on the topic. I see that as the only real accessory I will ned to buy to support charging at home. I already wired 6 gauge wire from my sub-panel to the back wall of each bay in my garage. Just looking for any gotchas that may exist.

Old 02-19-2021, 11:56 AM

Yes, they recommend ChargePoint and I recommend the ChargePoint Flex which has some headroom for future cars. ChargePoint Home Flex | ChargePoint Be aware you need twin 70 AMP breakers to get it to full power. But this is what I'm using and it worked great.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:13 PM

I've got a 100 amp sub-panel, so I should be able to accommodate. Probably not in too much of a hurry for charging times as most will be overnight. Did notice Amazon Alexa compatibility. I have been adding devices and appliances that are smart and compatible with Smartthings but focusing on the Google assistant vs. Alexa. Would be nice to be able to check status by voice. We are controlling temperature, lights and plans for other by voice.

Old 12-10-2021, 03:07 PM
Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

We will figure the grid out, think about how far and fast we have come with the grid since 1882. The whole world isn't going to go electric at once it will be a drawn out and challenging process. The EV charging business will be/is a growth business, the prospect of profit and growth will power the evolution.