Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Charger Installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Charger Installed

Hi everyone, new on here. Just got my 2019 new ipace today

Wanted to see which is the best charger out there in the market for the east coast. I see there is a chargepoint 50 amps and juicebox 32 amps (from the threads). Any recommendations?
I have a 2 door garage but the power outlet is on the opposite side of the slot where the car will be parked.

Thanks so much of your help.

Old 09-25-2019, 03:57 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi, congrats on the new ride. I purchased my Juicebox 40 from Costco, it goes on sale for $499 often. Even though the iPace is only 7kW and thus 32amps, the 40 amps gets me future proof. I have the panel on the opposite side of the garage as well, so I had an electrician wire in a Nema 50amp receptacle on the inside garage wall. Then I purchased a 50amp RV extension cable on Amazon and used this to cross over from the one side over the header of the garage door and install the Juicebox on the side where the vehicle is parked. This was much cheaper than asking the electrician to run conduit and install the receptacle on the other side. Been working fine ever since. BTW, you will need to make sure your panel has room for the appropriate breaker needed, both size and current rating. This may dictate if your able to go to a 40amp (needed for a 32amp charger) or 50amp breaker (needed for a 40amp charger). The electrician install was $250 with the breaker.

Old 09-25-2019, 10:07 PM
Received 681 Likes on 490 Posts
Default Like minds...

I did nearly the same thing including the Amazon cable. Went ChargePoint but now wish I had your headroom. We're I to do it today I'd get the new ChargePoint for even more headroom because, like you, I know I'll eventually need it. Installation cost me more but that was because I wired for a second charger in case I get a second electric.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much! got the 50A circuit installed into my garage, was a long process for the electrician, took him about 5 hours to run the chords from the basement to the garage , one corner of the house to the other and a different level. I get about 20 mi of charge per hour. Is that what you guys see? I have no Fast chargers near home as well, painful!

Old 10-31-2019, 11:53 AM

On the Fast Chargers, it is like I live in a Fast Charger exclusion zone, they ring me about 150 miles out. Nothing local. 20 miles per hour, give or take, is about what I'm seeing too. It is about 11 hours for a full charge when I'm on electrical fumes.

Old 04-02-2022, 04:47 PM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Amazon--a cautionary tale

I was trying to order a ChargePoint electric vehicle charger and found that Amazon's price was about $950-975, depending upon plug type. I was trying to decipher the difference between the two types so dug back though the I-Pace forums here and found this elpful thread from a couple years ago, for intelligence on the matter. One poster mentioned connecting directly with ChargePoint because its price for either plug was identical.

So I found Chargepoint's website and found that indeed the prices for the two were identical. More to the point of my story, buying directly from ChargePoint was WAY CHEAPER. I paid just $700! As to which one: Didn't matter. One has a three-prong plug; the other has a four-prong plug. I'm planning to hard-wire mine so will be removing the plug.

A further interesting tidbit is that the first time i looked on Amazon the price difference between the two was a whopping $150! When I looked again, for composing this thread, it was just $25! Sneaky predators out there in that consumer jungle.

The following users liked this post:
enderle (04-03-2022)
Old 04-03-2022, 11:22 AM

Nicely done! Right now shopping around makes sense, the shortages have vendors doing crazy things.

Old 04-17-2022, 09:31 PM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

Not only was it cheaper to buy the charger directly from ChargePoint but while I expected to have to wait a month to receive the package, it arrived the day we brought the car home from L.A.

Electrician son offered to install the charger that day but when I headed to Home Depot for a few electrical parts we required my I-Pace had a tire start rapidly losing air. I hightailed it back home, after several stops to air up. Ordered new tires because the original tires (after 28,000 miles were almost worn to the tread bars. Now have new Michelins, 235/65r18 all-season tires. We installed the charger the next evening after dinner.

Other than that flat-tire setback and a hair-raising marathon straight-through trip home from Santa Barbara to UKiah, the car is a joy. It's fairly lightly optioned and that suits us. I certainly did not want 20" or larger wheels. Hard to find one with all the juicy options that's not riding on 20" or 22" rims.

Good news for me is that my wife--after that scary trip--no longer thinks the I-Pace will replace our Land Rover LR3 as our family car, realizing that we will continue to need the Land Rover for longer treks. I really didn't want to give up the Rover.

Old 04-18-2022, 12:47 PM

Glad it all worked out, yes sadly, for most of us, we still need a n ICE car for long distances. We have a Volve XC60 Recharge plug in Hybrid which mostly lives on electricity but when we have to go distance, it has a 500 mile + range on gas. Keeping the RR is a wise move!