I-Pace EV 2018 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Addition - new (to me) 2020 I-PACE! (And some newbie questions)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 03:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Some questions from a newbie (new to me 2020 I-PACE)

Hi all,

after lurking on these forums for a little while and eying an I-PACE for several months, I Recently purchased my first Jag and my first EV, a 2020 I-PACE. It’s our family car / daily driver (small family - wife, baby, and dog). So far the wife and I absolutely love it, never looked forward to driving a daily as much as I do this one. A few questions I was hoping the community could help me with…

1) we are currently trickle charging but planning to get an electrician out to set up a level 2 charger soon. Any suggestions / recommendations or anything I should know about? I know nothing at all about this topic, so any help would be appreciated.

2) anything I need to know about DC fast charging? So far I have the electrify America app and signed up, but never actually used it nor do I know what I’m doing. We don’t do a ton of long road trips, but figured it doesn’t hurt to be prepared / know what to

3) is there anything I should be doing to prevent potential issues? Let me be clear - I don’t want to know all of this cars potential issues haha (hope that doesn’t come across rude … it’s just that With my last few cars, I read about a bunch of scary issues online that only caused me to worry, none of which ever materialized). So - Sometimes ignorance is bliss I guess, but if there’s anything preventative that folks can recommend, that’s much appreciated.

4) any cool / not obvious features or benefits that you didn’t know about til after you had owned it for a while? Or any improvements you’d suggest to make the experience better?

Thanks all, look forward to being part of this community

Last edited by Phil2006; 11-30-2022 at 04:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Phil2006:
Carbuff2 (12-01-2022), enderle (12-01-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 12:09 PM
Received 681 Likes on 490 Posts

Welcome to the Forum! I’ve had my car since 2019, and most issues (due to software updates) were in the first two months of owning it.

1. Chargers: hard-wired chargers (no plug) look better on the wall and reduce the trip hazard, but they also are a far bigger pain to upgrade. I recommend the ChargePoint Flex charger because it is more future-proof.
2. On fast-charging, do it a couple of times before you take a trip, there is a bit of a learning curve to using the chargers, and there are several providers, each a bit different, and you'll want to already have the apps for the chargers you are likely to see on your trip.
3. Following this and other forums on the car, the most common problem is the 12-volt accessory battery going out. If it fails, the car won’t run. They appear to fail around 3 years. This older thread may be useful as well: 5 Things The Next I-Pace Should Fix - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
4. I changed my wheels and did the promoted turn signal mod a few years back. It isn't a car that lends itself to a lot of mods.

The following users liked this post:
Phil2006 (12-01-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 12:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by enderle
Welcome to the Forum! I’ve had my car since 2019, and most issues (due to software updates) were in the first two months of owning it.

1. Chargers: hard-wired chargers (no plug) look better on the wall and reduce the trip hazard, but they also are a far bigger pain to upgrade. I recommend the ChargePoint Flex charger because it is more future-proof.
2. On fast-charging, do it a couple of times before you take a trip, there is a bit of a learning curve to using the chargers, and there are several providers, each a bit different, and you'll want to already have the apps for the chargers you are likely to see on your trip.
3. Following this and other forums on the car, the most common problem is the 12-volt accessory battery going out. If it fails, the car won’t run. They appear to fail around 3 years. This older thread may be useful as well: 5 Things The Next I-Pace Should Fix - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
4. I changed my wheels and did the promoted turn signal mod a few years back. It isn't a car that lends itself to a lot of mods.
thanks for the info! What did the turn signal mod entail?

Old 12-01-2022, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,464 Likes on 1,958 Posts

1) we are currently trickle charging but planning to get an electrician out to set up a level 2 charger soon. Any suggestions / recommendations or anything I should know about? I know nothing at all about this topic, so any help would be appreciated.
A faster charger (Level 2), will need a 60 amp 240v supply, but a 100 amp supply is preferable. My own house here in the UK built in 1988 is 60 amp, but my daughter's house built in 2000 is 100 amp. If possible you would be better upgrading the supply to 100 amp, if you don't already have it. Here in the UK it costs about £1000-2000 for purchase and installation depending on what you already have in your home. Needless to say, the assumption is that your car will be off-street standing on or in your property.
https://complete-electricians.co.uk/...allation-cost/

Phil2006 (12-01-2022)
Old 12-04-2022, 10:25 PM
Received 681 Likes on 490 Posts

Replaced the turn signals in the rearview mirrors with sequential lights. They were on special a year or so ago. I think they cost around $75. Pretty easy mod. You can get them a number of places, here they are on Amazon (apparently they got a lot cheaper):
Amazon Amazon

Phil2006 (12-04-2022)