I-Pace EV 2018 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Protect Your Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2023, 05:46 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts
Default Protect Your Windshield

Recommend getting windshield protection. I was on the Oregon Festival Of Cars drive on Sunday, chasing a bunch of exotics and being chased by some classics. A really fun drive until a rock hit the edge of my windshield, and crack crept across my field of view. USAA is covering with a $500 deductible the $2,500 cost to replace the windshield and the as yet unknown cost to recalibrate the lane-keeping camera. There are no windshields in the US that are self-heating (I have the heated windshield and external heated mirror option). So, an additional $350 to expedite something out of Europe, but there is no ETA as there are no windshields. As soon as I get a new windshield, I'm getting windshield protection because these cars are at the end of life, and if there aren't parts now, there will be even more significant issues after 2025 after the car is end-of-life. So, learn from my pain and consider getting windshield protection if you have a self-heating windshield because they aren't making many of them. I'll post what I end up doing once the new windshield is installed oh, and then I have to drive 200 miles to get the cameras calibrated, which adds insult to injury. I'll post what product I end up using, but suggest you protect your windshields because replacing them is one huge pain.

Old 09-19-2023, 06:43 PM
Received 269 Likes on 206 Posts

I agree. I copped a rock on the freeway less than six months after buying my XES. I have had three Jaguar-branded Pilkington windscreens and one non-Jaguar-branded Pilkington screen fitted, all have had severe distortion and rippling that have made the car almost undriveable.. original windscreen had no issues. The windscreen place has found an aftermarket FUYAO screen and hopefully after that goes in I'll be able to see well enough to drive the car. The incident happened in November last year.

I'd love to know what can protect a windscreen from a rock strike. A layer of PPF might protect against tiny stones and small stuff, but the stone I copped was probably 2 inches across. If you find something please do post it up.

Good luck.

Old 09-20-2023, 09:52 AM

Agreed a big stone is likely a problem regardless but the stone that hit me was small and had the windshield not cracked I could have done the repair. I found this video on YouTube and it showcases that with light film the damage looks to be more repairable, but with the heavier film, it does a better job of protecting the glass:

Old 11-02-2023, 12:53 PM

Finally got the new Windshield in and got it protected. The cost to me was $500 deductible, $350 for the expedite, and $600 for the protective film (which is hard to see on the car). The windshield looks fine with none of the waviness others have reported when replacing it, so they may have fixed the production problem.

Old 11-02-2023, 03:55 PM
Received 269 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by enderle
Finally got the new Windshield in and got it protected. The cost to me was $500 deductible, $350 for the expedite, and $600 for the protective film (which is hard to see on the car). The windshield looks fine with none of the waviness others have reported when replacing it, so they may have fixed the production problem.
I'm on my fifth Pilkington (3x Jag branded, 2x Pilkington with no Jag branding) with the same waviness The glass place has found a FUYAO that fits, that goes in next week and hopefully that fixes the problem however a bunch of googling turned up people having this same problem with all glass manufacturers. Is yours a Pilkington? If so, could you take a photo of the logo and the numbers etc around it (bottom passenger side, usually)? There are codes in the logo that refer to the batches (little dots), I'd be curious to know the batch yours came from for comparison.

Might look into PPFing my windscreen if I can find one I can see through! 😂

Old 11-03-2023, 12:28 PM
Default Windshield Tag

Looks like mine is from Jaguar:

Old 12-03-2023, 10:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a rock strike on my windshield about a year ago, and didn't notice until it was "too late" to fix and the windshield had to be replaced. The dealer said there were no Jaguar windshields available anywhere in the U.S. and probably would be more a few months wait based on what they knew. The crack on windshield had spread all the way across so for safety reasons I ended up with replacing with an aftermarket windshield and have been regretting not waiting ever since. The windshield seems fine (no distortion, etc) but noisier at higher speeds. This is the aftermarket brand, which was the only windshield available in all of the U.S., apparently, at the time:

Old 12-10-2023, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,467 Likes on 816 Posts

^

If it’s noisier I would highly suspect the installation rather than the actual glass.

Old 12-22-2023, 01:34 AM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

Wow, these are scary stories!

Just got our I-Pace back today, after 2.5 months at the dealer, to get its faulty charge controller replaced. Delay was of course parts availability so must take care of my windscreen! It so happens that on the 100+ mile drive home today from the dealer, a small rock flew into its windscreen and chipped it, close to my driver's line of view, despite the nearest car being about 100 yards ahead and not trucks around.

I've had plenty of chips in various windscreens over the years but this one was unusual in that it had half a dozen tiny fracture lines radiating, perhaps 1/4" or so, out from the chip. I'm going to try to get it patched first thing tomorrow! Would have done today but by the time we were close to the shop, it was closing time.