I-Pace EV 2018 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about radiation/EMF with I-PACE electric battery?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2023, 08:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about radiation/EMF with I-PACE electric battery?

Love the idea of EVs particularly the I-PACE but have had an intense battle with cancer and become sensitive to potential risks.

Anyone have any helpful info? The industry says not a concern but they say the same things about cell phones and my first tumor was the exact spot in my pocket I had kept it.

Sorry I know this isn’t fun to think about and may not be the best place to ask so thanks for your patience and compassion.

Old 01-11-2023, 12:12 PM
Received 681 Likes on 490 Posts

I'm a tech analyst and cover both electric cars and smartphones. The issue with phones is they have a high-powered transceiver and placing that against your head often tends to cause the brain to mutate. It is interesting to note that other than theories, there is no hard evidence that this mutation does harm but mutating the brain does sound like something you wouldn't want. While the I-Pace and every modern car, electric or not, has similar technology, you don't hold the car to your head thus it hasn't been raised as a problem. So there is no unique exposure in the I-Pace for EMF as similar technology is in modern ICE (internal combustion engine) cars, and cars haven't been found to have excessive EMF health problems yet. (This could change when we go driverless as future cars will increasingly use internal wireless networks, but there are no unique issues with electric over gas.) The more significant health issue between the two car types is that ICE car emissions which can leak into the cab, constitute a significant health concern and can be deadly, making electric cars potentially far better for your health than ICE cars currently are, particularly if the car is in an enclosed area like a garage. So, with regard to health, electric is massively better than ICE cars because of the lack of emissions which constitute a far greater risk than EMF.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hs...alth-outcomes/

Old 01-12-2023, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 603 Likes on 413 Posts

phones is they have a high-powered transceiver and placing that against your head often tends to cause the brain to mutate.
My wife would tell you that if my brain were to mutate, it would only be an improvement.

That said, my skin has more old-age spots on my drivers side, because I have always liked to ride with the window down....

Old 01-14-2023, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

There is no scientific basis for harm from electric fields, or, for that matter, magnetic fields as in an MRI scan. There was a theory put forward many years ago that powerful electric fields as could be found near high voltage overhead cables, could attract and concentrate harmful or carcinogenic substances in the air, thus persons living nearby would possibly suffer harm from the substances, but not the electric field. Of course ionising radiation like emitted from radioactive elements and from X-rays is proved to cause cell damage and possible tumour formation. That is why staff working X-ray machines must always be shielded. The dose received by the patient is low and not frequent. Having said that, my wife underwent cancer treatment last year and had 28 sessions of radiotherapy. So far all is clear.