I-Pace EV 2018 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I stay or should I go?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2023, 12:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Should I stay or should I go?

Looking for advice /thoughts on whether I should buy out my 2019 IPACE HSE after leasing for 3.5 years. Overall, it has been a pleasure having this car but as all the owners know there were definitely some hiccups during the early years whenever something didn't function properly. My car has 28K miles, has been garage kept and is in excellent condition. BUT, there have been some issues during this time, which fortunately the warranty covered. Based on what I have read from other owners, it seemed like I had one of the cars with only minor issues. That was until last December when I was backing out of a driveway and all of a sudden the car stopped functioning! I couldn't restart it, couldn't move it and it was now blocking most of the residential road. I called the Jaguar assistance since it was a Sunday and my dealer wasn't open. Several tow truck companies were called and only one seemed to have the right equipment to handle this car (weight?). It took several weeks for the car to get analyzed and ultimately fixed but it took replacing BOTH batteries. I was given a loaner car for that time. Thank goodness for the warranty coverage as I can't imagine how expensive that could have been. FYI - Jaguar doesn't extend the warranty on the batteries even when replaced. Tell me about your experiences after your warranty runs out. Has anyone chosen to lease a second IPACE when their original lease was up? Besides the batteries, what else should I be concerned with possibly having an expensive replacement cost that might sway my decision?

Old 03-29-2023, 04:28 PM
Received 681 Likes on 490 Posts

I bought mine out; the buyout was far less than the car was worth, and I like nothing else currently on the market. While I have to drive 180 miles to the dealer, I still love my car and don't regret buying out the lease. Even if you turn around and sell the car, if your retail price is like mine, you'll make around $10K. Best of luck, but buying out the lease worked very well for me (and I still love driving the car). I haven't had any issues since the first set when the car was new (that'll teach me to buy one of the first made), but if you have had recurring issues that should be considered in your decision.

Old 03-30-2023, 10:16 AM

I appreciate your response. I also would have the benefit of the low buyout price, but I am concerned with the fact that the advantage could get wiped out (and more) if the battery were to need to be replaced again. I could target re-selling it before the 8 year warranty is up. Would someone actually buy an IPACE with the battery warranty almost up? I know I wouldn't.

Old 03-31-2023, 04:32 PM

The battery warranty is eight years or 100K miles. So far, the testing has indicated that the batteries aren't degrading very quickly unless you are doing a lot of Level-3 charging. However, yesterday my car was bricked; I don't know if it was the known wiring loom issue or if one of the 12-volt batteries failed (which seems more likely given this failure happened when I left the car at the airport for three days). The car had to be towed 180 miles to the dealer, and my car warranty expires in December; I think it might be prudent to extend that warranty if you haven't had the wiring loom problem yet (I'm told that in the early cars, the wiring was too tight, and will break under acceleration which disables the car). Audi had a similar problem in the early 2000s in their first-generation TT (we had one of those, too), and eventually, they did a recall and reimbursed us for the $3,600 to fix that. It's not a cheap fix, and so far, all the breaks have been covered by warranty, but I'll bet not all cars have yet broken. So, if you haven't had the loom problem yet, it might be wise to have it checked and get that extended warranty. (My warranty on the drivetrain hasn't expired yet; I'll try to remember to post once I hear back on the actual problem.

Old 03-31-2023, 05:37 PM

Wow! Thanks for sharing. I have not had any wiring loom problems yet. If I choose to keep the car, I'll definitely extend the warranty. I hope you remember to post once you hear of the confirmed issue on your car this time, but I have to say that I got that pit in my stomach when I read yours bricked. It just made me remember the sickening feeling I got when it happened to me. Luckily (I say that gingerly), your experience was not on the open road but I'm sure it was a huge inconvenience.

Old 03-31-2023, 08:39 PM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

@jlainie when you say `took replacing BOTH batteries` you mean both 12V batteries? AFAIK that is fairly common. I did not get the car bricked, just a 'brake pedal warning', but the fix was replace both 12V batteries as well as power distribution box. Dealer also did 5-6 module software updates.

The 'regular' 12V battery should be easy-peasy to replace, not sure about the other one. For an electric car they put batteries over batteries in there and each one does fail after some time.

Old 04-01-2023, 10:31 PM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

Well this is an interesting topic and probably timely for me. I bought my 2019 I-Pace (pretty basic model) used, a year ago. It was a low-mileage commuter car and I have added few miles. Had to replace the key batteries the other day, which solved annoying startup problems, but a couple of times (both before and after replacing key batteries) I have gotten a reduced braking performance warning message.

I have not worried about that too much as--with regen braking--I so minimally use the actual service brakes. If however that message is a forewarning of problems to come, I probably need to take it seriously. Since I bought the car (from a private party in southern California) I have had no contact with any dealer. Nearest one to me is in Corte Madera, California, about 120 miles from where I live. Journey there is not one I care to take (nasty traffic), unless strictly necessary.

Old 04-02-2023, 02:28 PM
Default Update

One of the errors that were showing was reduced brake performance and the brake pedal didn't feel right (kind of made a weird grinding noise). They tell me they won't be able to diagnose the car until Tuesday so I'll supply an update after I get that result.

Old 04-03-2023, 12:09 PM
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Like others on this forum, my warranty will be expiring this December. I've been lucky so far in that my i-pace hasn't left me stranded, however murphy's law eventually bites us all. I'm considering purchasing an extended warranty. Are there warranty companies for which i-pace owners have a preference?

Old 04-03-2023, 12:27 PM

Because the car is an electric and I'm not aware of anyone outside of the dealer that can service an electric car yet (at least not in my area) I'm favoring the Jaguar extended warranty. Here is a write up on it: Should You Buy a Jaguar Extended Warranty? (2023) - AutoGuide.com

Old 04-03-2023, 05:08 PM

I actually posted this question to my dealer this morning so when I know I will share with you. What I do know so far is that if I buy my car now that the lease is almost up, that I can get my car certified by them and get an additional one year warranty with unlimited miles for $3000. I looked up what was given if it was originally purchased vs lease and the gave 5 years, 60,00 miles. Doesn't seem like they are actually giving me anything versus their purchased vehicles.

The following users liked this post:
enderle (04-04-2023)
Old 04-06-2023, 05:04 PM

I just heard back from the dealer; both 12-volt batteries are toast, as is the power distribution box. They think they may have it fixed for me tomorrow, but getting it back to me may take longer. Will provide more detail when I get the paperwork. Covered under warranty, so I'm only expecting a charge for the 2-year service. I did find a similar problem on this government listing of electrical issues: 2019 Jaguar I-PACE Electrical System Problems | CarComplaints.com

Old 04-07-2023, 12:14 PM

i agree with Rob in buying the extended warranty from Jaguar as I have not heard of anyone providing the service to the electric car outside of Jaguar in Jersey. Mine is quoted at $3000 for 1 year.

Old 04-07-2023, 12:17 PM

Rob - The best news of your post was that your electrical issue was covered under warranty! I followed the link you provided to the complaints and found that it was not very comforting reading about so many electrical issues when I am seriously considering buying out my lease. I did notice that it has been almost 5 months without a new complaint posting, hopefully that means something positive. My two batteries are already replaced but the looming question is if anyone has had this electrical issue again AFTER replacing the batteries. What would that cost be to replace those 2 batteries if not under warranty? Curious, I don't see anyone posting about they loved their I-PACE so much that they bought/leased a newer model. Am I wrong?

Old 04-08-2023, 09:15 PM

Not much point in buying a newer one as they haven't changed much and, due to shortages, not all of the available options that were available are available right now. Speaking for myself, I didn't want to pay more and lose several of the options I like on the car. I still love my car (remotely at the moment as mine hasn't made it back yet as there was a bit of damage done to the battery case by the tow truck. They are going to check for leaks and then patch if needed on Monday (the battery case needs to be watertight).

Old 04-11-2023, 03:06 PM
Default Battery Containment is Breached

Well not good news for me on the repair. The warranty repair was done, but the damage done by the tow breached the battery pack making the car unsafe to drive. I have USAA, and they will cover the damage (short a $500 deductible). If I end up with a brand new traction battery for $500 I'll be good, but who knows how long until I get the car back. Given the damage appears to have been done by the tow I would have expected Jaguar to just make it right. Anyway here is a picture of the damage which looks to have occurred when they lifted the rear of the car onto the flatbed:

I-Pace battery back damage.

Old 04-11-2023, 05:07 PM

I am so sorry to hear about this damage and I too would have thought that Jaguar would step up and take care of things. But if you walk away at just $500 cost and get a brand new traction battery, then I would think it was worth it. Hope it comes home to you soon!

Honestly, I never realized just how good I have it as I have two Jaguar dealerships within 25 minutes of me. Sometimes I just stop by for their car wash and never have thought about those who are hundreds of miles away from help. It sounds like this is the case for several I-PACE owners. I am soooooo lucky!

And lastly, I just got the $3000 certification done on my car. Other than new tires needed, which I already knew, it is certified. Now I just need to get them their check to buy it out before May 1 rolls along and I will officially own my I-PACE! The certification gives me one more year of warranty with unlimited miles. I am filled with happiness and my knees are shaking at the same time! I have tried every electric and hybrid plug in out there and nothing made me happier than the car I was already driving. On top of that, with the interest rate being where it is today, my payment would have essentially doubled for anything that caught my interest.

The following users liked this post:
enderle (04-19-2023)