I-Pace EV 2018 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Storage

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2021, 05:24 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Storage

Can the I-Pace be placed in long term (6 month) storage. I know what to do with an ICE vehicle, but I have never heard of EV storage other than the Teslas that turned into bricks many years ago. Thanks.

Old 05-29-2021, 01:17 PM
Received 681 Likes on 490 Posts

Ideally, when storing an electric car, you store it on a charger which will keep both batteries fully charged while making sure scheduled pre-condition events are deleted, so the big battery doesn't have to cycle. As soon as you start disconnecting things, you increase the risk of doing something bad to the car or hurting yourself. However, if the car isn't near a power supply, then disconnecting the 12volt battery (negative then positive) should allow the car to remain viable indefinitely; however, you'll likely lose settings, and you won't get over the air updates, which could be problematic if the car is left for a long time (having updates applied out of order could do ugly things to the car and I'm not yet convinced that car companies, any of them, have thought this through yet). Finally, and because our cars come with charger cords that should work better (suggesting that path to both be easier and safer), you could hook up a trickle charger to the 12v battery assuring updates and keeping the memory active. In all cases, but where you disconnect the battery, make sure you have preconditioning turned off as that will cycle the big battery more than needed, but at least on any of the CCS chargers, they will compensate, and the power draw isn't that great but with the trickle charger you'd definitely eventually end up with a dead drive battery and taking that battery to zero not only may require a tow truck but you could damage that very expensive battery if it sat empty for long. I didn't drive much during the pandemic, and my car sat for weeks on the charger not being used; I had the battery tested last month and no loss of capability (so far), and mine is an early 2019 car.

On the web, the following link is the best source. I did note a number of piecee that apparently took the advice for an ICE car and just changed it to electric. First clue was the advice to first have the oil changed anyway here is the link: Going Away? Make Sure Your Electric Car Stays Happy Without You (greencarreports.com)

Last edited by enderle; 05-30-2021 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-29-2021, 02:30 PM

Thank you. I read the greencarreports piece and it seemed like fuzzy thinking to me. I would have thought there was a clear set of instructions in the manual. I concluded the report thinks you need to leave the car plugged into its charger, which should keep the traction batteries up and they in turn will keep the 12v up. But I have no confidence in that.

Old 06-07-2021, 10:39 PM
Received 259 Likes on 149 Posts
Old 06-07-2021, 10:52 PM

This is from Jaguar

Jaguar

I-Pace – In the event of long-term storage, make sure to charge the high voltage battery every 30 days.
CAUTION: Make sure that the high voltage battery is charged to a target of 30% and no more than 60%. Failure to do so may result in damage to the battery.
When charging the high voltage battery, it is recommended to connect the vehicle’s charging cable to an external charging station. While the battery is charged, the instrument panel displays the current high voltage battery charge level.
The current high voltage battery charge level can also be viewed in the instrument panel’s power gauge display.
CAUTION: Make sure that the 12V battery remains connected, and in a sufficiently charged state, during the storage period.

The following users liked this post:
enderle (06-08-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 11:08 PM

Zach, thank you. What are you supposed to do hire a nanny to watch over these things! This along with the limited range convinces me these EVs are special purpose vehicles unsuitable for general use.

Old 06-08-2021, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Suaro
Zach, thank you. What are you supposed to do hire a nanny to watch over these things! This along with the limited range convinces me these EVs are special purpose vehicles unsuitable for general use.

We put the I-Pace away for the winter in Late November and remove in April. Charge to around 35% and put the 12V on a Ctek battery maintainer. The main battery never budged, stayed at 35% the entire winter.

If you want you can monitor the battery with the App, If you are really worried you can leave it plugged in and start and stop the charge remotely with the App or with a Wi-Fi enabled wall connector.

No need to over think this.

The following users liked this post:
enderle (06-08-2021)
Old 08-21-2022, 09:38 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought I'd share that our I-Pace was hit by another vehicle and spent two months at the body shop, most of it waiting for parts to be made and shipped from Europe. It was charged to about 92% when the accident happened. When I picked it up, the charge had only dropped about 2%. I was pleasantly surprised.