I-Pace EV 2018 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sudden Range Drop Episode

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2022, 03:51 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Sudden Range Drop Episode

We now have 1,500 miles on our 3-week-old I-Pace. We were coming back from a trip where we needed multiple charges. The vehicle had behaved very predictably until one leg, where we had 104 miles to go to get home. We stopped at a 150KW charger and charged to 145 miles. The terrain was flat, no winds or traffic, and the temp was 47 degrees Fahrenheit. Once we hit the road, we started to see that we were losing 2-3 miles of range for every mile we traveled. After 40 miles, we had less than 60 miles of range for the 60 remaining and the gap was increasing with each mile.

We stopped at the only charger within reasonable difference. The car was telling us we had 56 miles of range, but were 46% charged. This made no sense, as I would have expected to see at least double that. Five minutes after plugging in, the range jumped from 56 to 128. We realized that we actually had the range we expected all along, but the car was misreporting it and the brief charge somehow reset it. We drove the 60 miles to get home and ended up with over 40 miles remaining.

I let our dealer know and then called Jaguar customer service. We were told we were on the latest software update and that there were no recalls or bulletins on the issue. My question to the community is whether anyone has seen or heard of this happening? It really puts a damper on plans to take any trips beyond 100 miles.

Old 04-01-2022, 10:26 AM
Received 681 Likes on 490 Posts

It could be a number of things, but they'll have to diagnose this. You could have a bad battery pack that isn't charging or discharging correctly, the algorithm for doing the calculation could be corrupted, or one of the reporting components is out of tolerance. The battery problem would be the most concerning because lithium ion packs that are behaving badly can catch fire and cascade. So I wouldn't put off having this tested. It is far more rare now than it was 20 years ago when a battery pack almost burned down my house and it would likely only happen when charging, but I wouldn't put off having this checked. In my case I had a pack that was refusing to charge properly but I kept pushing it, then it over heated, caught fire, melted the screws on the containment box, and started the tires on fire and the black smoke, fortunately, alerted me to the problem but I still had nearly $10K of house damage and that was with an electric bike. Odds are, this isn't the battery , but the chance that it might be suggests you prioritize having it checked just to error on the side of caution. If the charging time seems unusually short, that might be indicative of a battery problem, if not, then it is likely something else but still should be checked. Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
dpiatt (04-01-2022)
Old 04-01-2022, 10:34 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I appreciate the info. I do have a service appointment to have this checked. Meanwhile, I'm just driving it locally until I know what's going on.

Old 04-01-2022, 11:03 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't get overly upset. the guess o meters can be flaky

The following users liked this post:
dpiatt (04-01-2022)