I-Pace EV 2018 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toll road ePass transponder does not read

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2022, 03:52 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Toll road ePass transponder does not read

I am on my second reprimand letter from ePass, one of Florida's two main toll road transponder companies. Two different models of the device, mounted on the windshield inside the car, cannot be seen by the toll road overhead readers. ePass is annoyed with me.
I have diligently followed instructions on placement. I have called and upgraded to an allegedly more readable unit, but nope.
My clicker for opening the gate to my neighborhood also does not function from within the car. I have to extend it into the outdoors to get any response.
I understand that the glass is super duper somehow, and that the glass roof would also present an issue of signal reading.
Have others solved this problem, whether in Florida or not?

UPDATE: I do find helpful info by searching EZ-Pass and Sunpass. These answer my question.

Last edited by Zophie; 05-06-2022 at 04:03 PM. Reason: A search for this issue with ePass had no luck. Later, searching for SunPass I found help with some EZ-Pass posts.
Old 05-07-2022, 08:33 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, the glass is special, but we have made it through probably 15 toll plazas without a problem reading our EZPass transponder. Sorry to hear you are having the problem.

Old 05-07-2022, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Zophie
I am on my second reprimand letter from ePass, one of Florida's two main toll road transponder companies. Two different models of the device, mounted on the windshield inside the car, cannot be seen by the toll road overhead readers. ePass is annoyed with me.
I have diligently followed instructions on placement. I have called and upgraded to an allegedly more readable unit, but nope.
My clicker for opening the gate to my neighborhood also does not function from within the car. I have to extend it into the outdoors to get any response.
I understand that the glass is super duper somehow, and that the glass roof would also present an issue of signal reading.
Have others solved this problem, whether in Florida or not?

UPDATE: I do find helpful info by searching EZ-Pass and Sunpass. These answer my question.
I haven;t used my ezpass in the car but my garage door opener does work.
you could try mounting the toll reader close to the rear view mirror mount, there is usually a spot there that is not treated.

Old 05-07-2022, 09:33 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's where mine is and it works fine.

Old 05-07-2022, 10:17 AM

The ePass folks say to install the reader just below the rear view mirror. It doesn't work there. Other posts on this forum for other transponder types like EZ Pass have the best placement in the black dot region to the left or right of the center windshield top. That's my current placement. Wish me luck.

The following users liked this post:
dpiatt (05-07-2022)
Old 05-08-2022, 02:00 PM
Received 681 Likes on 490 Posts

Good luck, sorry you are having this problem.

Old 05-12-2022, 03:55 PM
Default Update on transponder and dealer assumptions

I am still waiting to see if the ePass placement in the black dot region is working. However, today I got confirmation from the service foreman who had gone to iPace school that this was the only place not covered by the solar attenuation film on the windshield. (The car was in the shop for an airbag warning light issue.)

In the process, I also concluded that my dealership's service people assume that the iPace is fundamentally the same as the IC Jaguars in many aspects. This has surfaced now at least twice:
1. It was assumed that the iPace's tires could not be rotated because, apparently, all or most other Jaguars have different size wheels and/or tires front and back. I had to directly request that they check my specific car, which has one size tire and wheel for the whole vehicle.
2. It was assumed that the windshield glass is the same as other Jaguar models, including the location of the solar film. Again, some pressure to get them to actually verify that, in fact, the placement is different, at least for my model year.

They are ensuring I stay glued to this forum for the Straight Dope, for sure.

Old 05-13-2022, 11:46 AM
Received 681 Likes on 490 Posts

This is a problem that cuts across brands. Most dealers, with Tesla clearly the exception (and they are factory stores not really dealers anyway), aren't yet at critical mass with electric car knowledge. It's getting better, and will likely get fixed in the 2025-2030 window but, for now, it is wise to stay read up on our cars as you are doing. Best of luck!

Old 05-18-2022, 03:02 PM
Default Confirmed correct Epass transponder placement.

We have liftoff. Placing the Epass Uni in the black dot area works. Confirmed by Epass peeps and mechanic at dealership.

Photo shows initial sticker Epass failure and current Epass Uni transponder location to right of rear view mirror.

Working and not-working Epass placement, Florida transponder.

The following users liked this post:
dpiatt (05-18-2022)
Old 05-21-2022, 08:40 AM
Received 203 Likes on 151 Posts

Good to hear that you found the magic ticket to the best place to put it. I'm surprised EPass didn't advise you to put it there, but I imagine the same EPass person I spoke to a couple of years ago isn't the same one that helped you.
I have the sticky 1-time use one on my Range Rover & the suction cup one in my wife's XJ, both in the black dot area, and both work fine.

BUT one other thing that makes even having the transponder in the car a non-issue is keeping your license plate registered to the transponder in your EPass account.
With the pay-by-tag equipment they have on the turnpike, epass roads & now that toll lane down the middle of I-4, it looks at your license plate & applies that to your account for charges. And keep in mind when it does that it DOES give you your EPass/Sunpass discount that applies, NOT the full "pay-by-plate" non-EPass/Sunpass price.
I have 2 motorcycles, 3 SUVs & 2 cars registered across the one EPass & one SunPass account, and haven't had a problem of mis-charging. I do occasionally get t he nasty-gram when I get a whole new license plate & forget to delete the old plate number & register the new one, but as soon as I call them to change or log-on to the account & change it, select the option to apply outstanding charges to that plate number, it takes care of it.

Even considering the occasional horror stories that pop-up on the news about people being mis-charged or ripped-off by EPasss or Sun Pass, I've never had a problem, and I've been using them for at least 15 years.

Old 05-21-2022, 10:19 AM

Yes, Epass was billing by plate during the whole episode. Maybe now they are getting tired of repeat plate billing, because their last nastygram said that after 14 more days of non-reading, the tolls would DOUBLE for each such incident. Very motivational.

Old 05-24-2022, 08:47 AM
Received 203 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Zophie
Yes, Epass was billing by plate during the whole episode. Maybe now they are getting tired of repeat plate billing, because their last nastygram said that after 14 more days of non-reading, the tolls would DOUBLE for each such incident. Very motivational.
Did you have your license plate registered to your Epass account?
If it recognizes your plate and links it to your account, it shouldn't have a problem.
My motorcycles don't have any transponder on them, but it makes no difference since I have the license plates assigned to the account.
It charges to my account, sends me NO nasty-grams, and works just as if I did have transponders on them.

But since you've straightened it out already, not an issue anymore anyway.