I-Pace EV 2018 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing an I-Pace A Cautionary Story

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2023, 02:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am sorry that the whole ordeal turned into a mound of stressors and unknowns, but I am certainly happy to hear the end result. Looking forward to seeing the wrapped I-Pace!

Old 06-06-2023, 07:43 PM
Received 681 Likes on 490 Posts
Default Wrapped

Here is a picture wrapped, more pictures in I-Pace picture section.

Wrapped in blue/purple color shifting wrap.

Old 06-09-2023, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

what did that cost ?

Old 06-12-2023, 10:44 AM
Default $4K Price

It cost $4K, here is a shot in the bright sunlight. (This is paint protective wrap, it is heavier than the typical wrap to better protect against rocks and other road hazards):

The following users liked this post:
stmcknig (06-16-2023)
Old 10-12-2023, 12:24 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by enderle
I've been covering this in another thread (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/i...d-i-go-268541/), but given the problem thought a separate thread would be more helpful. My I-Pace had a catastrophic failure where the power distribution box failed, bricking the car and locking all four wheels. A flatbed truck was dispatched but initially couldn't pull the car out of its parking stall (it failed at the airport after being left for a few days). It looks like the tow cable compromised the main battery pack when the car was lifted onto the flatbed by the second flatbed tow truck rendering the car unsafe to drive. To me, this suggests the car should never be lifted from the rear with a cable and only from the front to protect the battery pack. Jaguar is not covering the damage and requested I engage my insurance company which has agreed to handle the claim. But, based on this, I'd advise that, if possible Roadside assistance, only pull the car onto a flatbed from the front, not the rear, particularly if the car will need to be lifted so that the battery pack isn't compromised. I expect the repair will not be trivial and may require replacing that expensive battery pack. Also, if you are calling a tow company and the car won't go into neutral or drive, ask if they have tire dollies because tire skid plates aren't adequate to pull the car due to its weight. (here is a picture of the damage, doesn't look like much, but now the battery pack seal is broken and the car is unsafe to drive):

Battery back damage
I drive my car to Lowes this morning, but am not able to get it started to drive back home. I called Hagerty and they are sending a tow truck. Is it normal to take 90- min to 2.5 hrs to get service? I spoke with a few other companies that could have been here in 20min. $75 would have worth it. Thanks

Old 10-13-2023, 04:30 PM

It depends on the availability of the trucks they need for the car. Generally, for an electric, it requires a flatbed truck with dollies. And, as I discovered, going without the dollies is really expensive. I expect the extra time was to find the right truck. Why did you use Haggarty rather than Jaguar Roadside Assistance?

Old 05-06-2024, 10:19 AM

The towing requirements differ state by state so you'll need to check with your DMV, here is a link that'll get you started: https://liftandtow.com/requirements-...-truck-driver/

Old 05-15-2024, 09:43 AM

Towing rules also vary State by State. Generally, a tow rope is only used legally to pull the vehicle to the road; once on the road, you need either a trailer or a tow bar that secures the vehicle to the vehicle being towed. Having been pulled by a tow rope on the street myself and gotten into an accident (the brakes went out in the car being towed), I wouldn't advise a tow rope even if it was legal. Even with a harness, you need brake and turn signal lights to be visible, and, depending on the vehicle, you may have to either use a trailer or pull it in a way that the driven wheels don't engage (transmissions can overheat and electrics must be trailered). Of course, if it is a manual car and can be towed with the driven wheels on the road, make sure the car is out of gear; I've seen a lot of blown engines by people in RVs who are pulling cars who left those cars in low gear. But check with your local DMV for local rules. See what the AI says below, but I do agree that a trailer is generally your best bet, safer, and with the least potential damage to the car. Trailers are generally set up with brakes and lights, making them far safer to pull.

I queried AI and this was the response: Towing a car involves several methods, each suited for different scenarios. Here are three common ways to tow a car:
  1. Tow Dolly: A tow dolly allows you to tow a vehicle while letting the towed vehicle rest its rear wheels on the ground. This method works well for front-wheel-drive vehicles. Ensure the towing vehicle weighs at least 750 pounds more than the towed vehicle, plus the dolly itself. Steps include connecting the tow dolly, loading the towed vehicle, securing it, and disconnecting the driveshaft (for rear-wheel-drive and four-wheel-drive vehicles) to prevent transmission damage1.
  2. Tow Strap: Tow straps are useful for short-distance towing, such as pulling a vehicle out of mud, snow, or sand. However, they are not suitable for road driving2.
  3. Trailer: Trailers are the best option for towing all types of vehicles, including AWD and 4WD cars and trucks. They provide stability and safety for long-distance towing2.
Remember to follow local laws and safety guidelines when towing a vehicle. If done incorrectly, towing can damage your vehicle and lead to costly repairs3. Always prioritize safety and choose the method that best suits your situation. 🚗🔗