Interior What have you done to the inside of your ride? Customized it? Kept it super clean? Talk about it here.

Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 09:55 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.

Here are some before pictures to start you off with.

The first few are self-explanatory as to why I'm redoing the headliner and trim pieces.

Attached Thumbnails Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_5981.jpg   Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_5982.jpg   Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_5983.jpg   Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_5984.jpg   Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_5985.jpg  

Old 11-06-2009, 09:56 AM

Here are a couple more pictures. The last picture shows discoloration of the headliner from the sunvisor (sorry about the sunshine - that was the best pic I could get out of 5 tries...lol).

Attached Thumbnails Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_5986.jpg   Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_5987.jpg  
Old 11-06-2009, 11:40 AM

Here are some more progress pictures.

Taking the coat rack off. Have to pop the chrome covers away from the screw heads. Did it by sticking my big flathead screwdriver beneath the front of the chrome cover. Twisted to pop it off the retainer behind it. Pulled it over to reveal the two screws on each side holding it up. Unscrewed them, and placed the entire thing as you see in the last picture on the floor of the car. I do things like that so I remember inwhat order and position things go back in place.

Attached Thumbnails Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_5988.jpg   Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_5989.jpg   Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_5990.jpg   Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_5991.jpg   Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_5992.jpg  

Old 11-06-2009, 11:43 AM

Now had to remove all of the trim pieces. These are attached with small metal clips. I had to gently put my fingers behind the trim piece so I could figure out exactly where each clip was, then pull on either side with both hands...GINGERLY!!! Didn't want to break any of the pins off...lol.

First pic - fingers in to find the first pin.
Second pic - trim piece partially off (4 pins undone).
Third pic - trim piece removed.

Attached Thumbnails Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_5993.jpg   Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_5994.jpg   Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_5995.jpg  
Old 11-06-2009, 11:47 AM

All of the trim pieces are now removed. Now, I have to get the headliner off. Wasn't sure if it was stuck to a piece of cardboard or what, so I peeled a corner of it up to reveal what was hidden. Indeed a piece of cardboard...kind of.

It was a sheet of insulation board, actually...with a paper covering. As I was trying to pull the headliner off, a small piece of the paper came undone. That pretty well wreaked havoc on the rest of the process. So, I decided I'd go ahead and take all the paper off the insulation so that the fiberglass would be the only thing to remain. We'll see how this works out with the headliner install...lol.

Picture two showcases what was left of my old headliner.

Attached Thumbnails Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_6003.jpg   Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_6004.jpg   Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_6005.jpg   Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_6007.jpg   Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_6008.jpg  

Last edited by m0t0rm0uth; 11-06-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:49 AM

As you could see from the previous pictures, some of the headliner material was left stuck to the metal. I got my trusty wire brush and scraped the remainder off. What a freakin mess!!! But, I'm now ready to install my new headliner.

Attached Thumbnails Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_6019.jpg   Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_6020.jpg   Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_6021.jpg   Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_6022.jpg   Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_6023.jpg  

Old 11-06-2009, 12:25 PM

New headliner (left) - old headliner (right) - fresh cup of coffee upper left

I can tell the position of the old headliner by the huge burn hole in the upper right corner (it was above the passenger front seat right behind the sunvisor). It was slightly larger than silver dollar size (for those of you who do not live in the US, nor know how big a silver dollar is, the burn is about 2 inches in diameter). I keep wondering what in the world caused that!! Someone perhaps lighting a cigarette with a lighter, but leaned forward to avoid the draft from the window? Was Gene Simmons riding in the front of the car after he lit his hair on fire? The world may never know.

Attached Thumbnails Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_6025.jpg   Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_6028.jpg  
Old 11-06-2009, 05:12 PM

Now to trim the new piece. I laid the old piece on top of it and trimmed the new piece (on top of cardboard), but left about 2 inches on all sides.

First pic - prior to trimming
Second pic - after trimming
Third pic - what it looked like after the trim

Attached Thumbnails Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_6029.jpg   Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_6030.jpg   Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_6032.jpg  
Old 11-06-2009, 05:27 PM

The first picture shows the adhesive I used. I picked it up at JoAnn's Fabric Store.

After I had finished trimming the piece, I tested it for size by holding it up in the center cross-ways, then doing the same front to back. It left me with about 2 inches overhang on all sides, which is exactly what I wanted. So far so good!!!

When I removed the old liner, the top layer of the cardboard came off, and left me with having to glue the new liner directly to the insulation (as stated in a previous post). I sprayed the adhesive directly onto the insulation first. I let it tack up a bit (about 2 or 3 minutes) so that the headliner would stick into place when I put it up. I started from above the rear window (since it was easier to reach for me...lol). I sprayed the adhesive all the way across (side to side) in about 6 to 8 inch sections at a time. I sprayed the first two sections (about 18 inches) and let it tack up before installing the headliner. I did about the first 9 inches, then would spray a third section (about 8 inches or so in order to let it tack up) , and after spraying, would adhere the second section, and so on. I would start pressing the headliner on starting in the center, and smoothing outward as I went along. This (I hoped) would keep me from getting any wrinkles in the headliner material.

Attached Thumbnails Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_6033.jpg   Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_6034.jpg   Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_6035.jpg   Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_6036.jpg  
Old 11-06-2009, 05:29 PM

Once I had gotten the entire thing up (except for the edges where the metal was), I let it sit for about 10 minutes. Then, using scissors, I trimmed around the metal (still leaving a bit extra, just in case. I worked in 6 inch sections going around the roofline to make sure that it was going to fit, starting from the rear passenger side, then moving forward to the front passenger side, across the windshield, back down the driver's side, and across the rear windshield. Once I had made sure everything was going to fit (and trimming what didn't need to be there), I sprayed adhesive up the passenger side on the metal, and let it tack up. Again, I started in the back corner of the car (rear passenger side), working my way forward, etc. When I was haflwaty up the passenger side, I sprayed adhesive across the metal above the windshield to give it time to tack up while I finished the passenger side press-down.

I continued this until the entire thing was done. The bumps in the headliner are due to the insulation being uneven. Kinda sucks to look at it (and I'll get points taken off if I ever enter it into a show like that), but what they heck?!? My first attempt at ever doing this has gone fairly well, if I do say so myself. Plus, I don't know too many people who would jump right into it like I do.

Now, I have to wait until I can find the right color for the outer pieces of the roofline (the parts that actually cover the edges of the headliner). Everything I found at JoAnn's was either too dark, too light, or too orange-based. Should be in a day or so. And, yes, I'll be running around like that until then...lol. Sucks, I know.

Attached Thumbnails Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_6038.jpg   Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_6039.jpg   Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_6040.jpg   Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_6041.jpg   Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_6042.jpg  

Last edited by m0t0rm0uth; 11-06-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:08 PM

Been put on hold until I get the right color for the trim around the edges of the roof (above the doors, windshield and read windshield).

Old 11-10-2009, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Definetly an improvement!!! Have you thought of wrapping the trim pieces in the same fabric? I am not familiar with your vehicle. I did a Chevy flat bed ("Sherman" for M-1 tank, dually with full time 4 wheel drive) up years ago and wrapped the entire interior, headliner, plastic door panels plastic toe kick panels etc.... Came out great, I did the dash pad in a darker color all from JoAnn. If you would have seen the truck you would have thought I was nuts for doing it. Keep up the GREAT work!!

Old 11-10-2009, 09:17 AM

Thanks Rick!!

I had thought about doing the trim pieces in the same fabric color, but after looking for vinyl for the doors, I decided to go with a two-tone feel. The main portion of the door panels will be the same color as the headliner, and the armrest, pocket, and the piece beneath the window will all be done in a slightly darker color. Picture will come shortly to help explain what I mean.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

SWEET!!! Can't wait to see pics.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:01 PM

OK. Here are the door panels.

The first picture is the front driver's side door. I am going to do the main panel the same color as the headliner. Then, the part that's right below the window (with the chrome strip under it), the part around the door handle, the door arm, and the pocket will be a slightly darker color (the color of the vinyl is called camel). Also, I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the fur looking stuff by the speaker. It's kind of cool, but I want some continuity on the door panels. I'm not yet sure if I'll keep that lower chrome strip (by the speaker). If I do the whole main panel the same color (ie not keep the dark brown hairy stuff), then I would think it may look ridiculous with that chrome strip there. Not sure yet.

The second picture is the driver's side rear door. Again, the main part of the panel will be the same color as the headliner. And, again, the part below the window (with the chrome strip below it), the part around the door handle, and the pocket will all be done in the darker color.

As it sits, each door has 3 (the rear doors) or 4 (the front doors) different colors on them. I'm not a big fan of that many colors. If I were restoring it (ie, if it had the original V12 engine in it), I would get the stuff from a supplier of Jag parts (ahem...Ken at britishparts). But, since it is a custom ride, I'll customize it as I see fit...lol. (Jag purists might hate me, but it's gonna look bada** when I'm done).

Attached Thumbnails Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_6048.jpg   Replacing the headliner and other fabric trim parts.-100_6049.jpg