Jaguar Engines & transmissions Discuss performance / modifications / upgrades etc here..

3.2-3.5 V8 in other Car - 4L60E Tranny,HP Boost,Reliability Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 05:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.2-3.5 V8 in other Car - 4L60E Tranny,HP Boost,Reliability Questions

Hello guys,i'm new here.

I admit i don't have a Jaguar but i really appreciate Jaguar Engines so i have in my mind those two from the title to list for a possible swap.

Before i proceed i would like to ask some questions regarding that.

The two engines i'm interested for are: 1) Jaguar AJ-V8 3.2Liter 2) Jaguar AJ-V8 3.5Liter all 2003+.

I can say i'm interested MORE for the 3200cc than for the 3.5,but only if i can make it to 300-300+ Flywheel HP with Torque matching to 4Liter V8s,otherwise the engine wont have power to start,as the other Vehicle weight as much as Range Rover.

The questions are:

1) The other Vehicle has a 4L60E Tranny,will that bolt on and cooperate with those Engines?

2) Do those Engines like Boost like the 4+ Liter Jaguars?

If i Boost any of them other than mod it with Bolt Ons for around 300HP Flywheel i will need around 400hp at the flywheel,that may take from 7 to 15psi.
You see it is going to be a tax decrease swap cause of the displacement so the engine i'll get out has that power stock.

3) Will the Supercharger of the 4.2 work? If yes how much boost should i expect from that?

4) About Reliability,what do you have to say? Are they Reliable at least compared to the bigger ones,like the Range Rover has?

5) As for the Sound,i assume the 3.2-3.5 will sound like Funky V6's,is there any way to get deep heavy V8sh sound like for example on the Old American V8s?

Maybe headers and Magnaflows will help as the Stock are too funky,i've seen Jaguars with Magnaflows but even 40 Series sound like Glasspacks.

Thanks in Advance guys,i really count on your help.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:10 PM
Received 293 Likes on 163 Posts

The supercharger from the 4 litre will bolt on but will no longer be optimally matched to the smaller capacity. You may have to change the pulley ratio to suit the smaller capacity and lower engine air flow. Infact I wonder whether an M90 is more suitable than an M112.

The 3.2 litre engine breathes very well for the smaller cylinder capacity although its air utilisation is alot poorer, much like the 2.099 litre AJV6.

In terms of sound it is very difficult to get a efficient 32 valve European V8 to sound like a classic American pushrod V8. The main reason for this is that the older Yank V8s had long ramps and modest valve accelerations- this led to a very early exhaust valve opening event so alot of the energy was expelled out of the exhaust. This manifests itself as sound and heat. That's why they sound so spectacular. The other reason they sound so dramatic is the amount of overlap and cylinder to cylinder imbalance- from the badly compromised carburetted intake systems. To use so much overlap on a 32 valve V8 that actually breathes would be counter productive (and to think- americans are SOOOO fond of ripping out our AJV8 in favour of these older dinosaur engines!).

Anyway, Ill comment more later, I have an errand to run.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:17 PM

Hey,thank you very much for the input.

I actually think i misunderstood their sound by making a fast conclusion judging by only one and different case,i thought cause of their size would sound like Inlineys.

Anyways,i will have Eaton m90 in my list aswell as i can find both easily.

What concerns me is If the 3.2 can handle as is a midrange boost up to several psi like the 4liter that will give it around 100hp or so at the Flywheel.
Mostly Piston-Fueling system concerns and aswell Compression Ratio concerns (frankly i don't even know the CR of 3.2),last thing i want to do is changing the pistons,or the whole (exploded) block if my boost bet was wrong.

Anything more than basic Bolt Ons including SC and supportive mods would be cost innefective for me as there is the 4.x liter engine solution that would always be better than the 3.2,but honestly it's a swap to avoid the HUGE amount of taxes the bigger ones are getting in Places like Spain,so it's not such good idea.

Ahh,as for the Tranny,it would be better to put one that Jag used with the corresponding engine i'd use as there is 99% no luck with the 4l60e,i'm feeling lucky to can find cheap Jaguar parts almost as easy as coffee.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:10 AM
Received 293 Likes on 163 Posts

The 3.2 litre AJV8 runs around 11:1. It has higher heat loss than the 4.0 due to the over square dimensions- If you boost this engine you WILL need to lower the CR. You can go slightly higher than the AJV8 SCs 9:1, perhaps 9.3-9.5:1. The cylinder head gasket is the same so , so long as you keep the boost pressure around the 0.75-0.8 bar marque like the 4 litre you shouldnt get a higher peak cylinder pressure so there shouldnt be any reason to worry about the cylinder head gasket.
If memory serves the AJ27 4 litre S/C doesnt have oil cooling jets on the pistons where as the 4.2 AJ33 does. In which case the 3.2 litre is unlikely to need it unless you increase the boost and/or advance the ignition alot.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:35 AM

Hmm i think of blowing it to 5psi or a little more for around 350hp Flywheel with exhaust,custom headers,high flow cats,bolt ons,tune,etc,it should get me there,i don't want to reach anything more as it's for daily drive.

Normally it should be very away of any problem with the head gaskets with 10:1 CR,but if it has higher like 11:1 i would risk no boost with stock CR as it's out of my knowledge.

It seems i'd have to machine the pistons unless i find any any thicker gasket.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

sounds like a fun project;

general consnsus, says if you not gonna boost to at least 8-10psi, hardly worth the work involved.

and machining pistons could alter the quench area in chamber,also may need rebalancing.

with todays modern water/alcohol injection systems, a variable rate would work well with 11.1 ratio, and you are not in hi-boost for long periods(hopefully), but the newer systems can really do a good job at controlling detonation, along with an efficent I/C.

like count says engine internal design(aka piston cooling),should be investigated. and thick head gaskets are not a good idea with boosted engines, trouble sooner or later.

question; why are some countries so diffecult to have a personalized vehicle,what ever happened to freedom?

Old 07-25-2011, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

4L60E trans are a realiable trouble free unit, and cost is reasonable here in USA!
aftermarket TCM are available,fully adjustable.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:32 AM

Hello.

Well i can assure you that the project is will be indeed fun,i can't wait to sort some things out so i can have free time and the necessary things to try my luck on it.

I would be so glad if i can keep the transmission because as you mentioned it's a very reliable unit,i would totally prefer it over to one that i know nothing about it,e.g repairs,tweaks,rebuild,etc.

However if i will be able to easily get a Jaguar Transmission (what are those,Ford? Mercedes? ) i might pick it over the 4L60E as it will save me from daily headaches and several costs,because i would need maybe 1000$ for a TCM and then i will also need to find a good tuner to mess with the Firmware (They are rare here),etc,so with a Tranny that already works with the corresponding engine it will be a Plug & Play,if we of course exclude the custom fabrication about the mounting which is not a problem at all.

About boost,i ran out ideas about what to do to support it,in my knowledge there are no compression lowering pistons for Jaguar V8s.

I was hoping i could bolt on a Supercharger,tune it,and get away with it,but the Jaguar 3.5 V8 has 11:1 CR,and the 3.2 has 10.5:1,and that is NOT Healthy,it will be fun but it wont last for long!

For taxes i prefer the 3.2 over the 3.5,but boost on 3.2 is kinda waste of workhours.

My goal on both is around 350hp Flywheel for daily drive and maybe 400hp maximum just to keep up with a bigger engine i'm swapping to lower the taxes (European taxes are HOT!),so for 350hp Flywheel assuming i'd get another 30-40bhp from other mods and tune,i might not need to surpass 5-7PSI at all,but still it's risky for High Compression.

If i had a solution about CR for boost support i wouldn't say no to like 10psi as if i go for boost i would already have a blower to play with,but not further than other limit factors' numbers,let's say fueling system,transmission,piston strength,and so on.

The most easy is to throw the 3.5 up to 300hp and let it run naturally aspirated,i could do cams (which doesn't exist) and gain another few HPs and get close to my Supercharging Goal without a Supercharger.