Jaguar Engines & transmissions Discuss performance / modifications / upgrades etc here..

size fuel injectors on s-type

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 09:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default size fuel injectors on s-type

Hi, I'm hoping that somebody here could tell the the lbs injector that the 2000 s-type 4.0 uses?....my car is turbocharge but is using 100% of the injectors duty cycle...so I'm looking for a replacement that will be compatible but of higher flow lbs per injector...what I'm trying to do here is lower the injectors duty cycle back to around 80% as I usually run injectors..I do understand that the ecu will back down on the duty cycle and that is exactly what I want it to do..flow more in a smaller amount of time...example my 85 corvettes original injectors flowed only 19lbs..I found out that the ford svo mustang used the same out side dimensions as the vette but used a 28 pound injector and to beat all it was half the price...so I'm tring to find out if the jaguar does have a clone of its injector but with more lbs of flow..thanks

Old 09-28-2010, 12:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 761 Posts

Don't change the injector size if you are not adjusting the ECU. Although the ECU can cope with small changes, you could trigger issues earlier as you move the bounderies. Example, if for some reason your LTFT is now -10%, and you would install injectors with 10% more flow, your LTFT will go to -20%, and then could trigger rich errors.
What is the actual problem you experience?

Old 09-28-2010, 11:58 PM

hi, as I had stated I have a jaguar 2000 s-type 4.0..I put a turbocharger on it a while ago..it runs like mad up to about 5000..then it starts to act like its out of fuel...which a course is the case..I use a a/f wide range gauge and it shows very very lean when it does this..it reads about 18to1..very lean condition...I do understand that installing too big of injector will cause all kinds of trouble..but that is not what I want to do..as on my vette I went from 19 stock injectors to ford svo injectors that are 28 lbs..with no problems at all will idle gas milage the same and all this with out remapping the ecu....I only want to go up about 5 lbs on the injectors that should pose no problems for the ecm..so what I need to know is what is the stock injector lbs..that way and I have something to start on and please if anybody can tell me if better flow injectors are compatible with the stock jag but puts out more lbs of fuel...right now I'm running the injectors at 100% duty cycle...so remapping it would do absolutly nothing..on the other had bigger injectors and remapping would be perfect....so does anyone do remapping on this engine and is anything injector wise that will fit this engine from ford or anyplace that will flow more..so ones that would fit into the jag but supply more lbs injectors...really need help on this..I would like to take the duty cycle of the injectors back to around 80%...thanks

Old 09-29-2010, 12:40 AM
Veteran Member

Only trying to help, as the more background info the better one can answer.

Have you checked the fuel pressure? As you are putting a positive pressure in the intake the delta fuel pressure will be lowered. The combination of more air (which requires more fuel) and the positive intake pressure, it might be that the ECU/pump can’t keep up for this. How much boost are you running, and what is the fuel pressure under boost?

If the above is your prime issue, than a lower fuel pressure and wider opening of the fuel injectors would also degrade the fuel atomization, so imho better check the FP first.

If the fuel pressure/delivery is good, you could try to find out what injectors the 3.9 Lincoln LS engine uses, they might be the same and I would guess there is more info about them. But check your LTFT figures first, as that will determine the amount of room you have (though as mentioned, I would not favor this route, as you will also complicate troubleshooting later if there are any issues).

Last but not least, do you have any pictures?

Old 09-29-2010, 11:15 PM

hi, and thanks for messaging...the fuel pressure was tested at a shop near me and the guy said it was right in specs..I dont remember how many lbs he told me though....I have the pressure regulator boost referenced..for each pound of boost the fuel pressure will rise the same...no matter what I'm 100% it is too small of injectors...but unless I have something to reference it too it does me no good..still looking for somebody with the answer of what the stock ones are rated at and is there anywhere off of anything that would fit but has a higher lb injector..if anyone here can give me that info then that is the only thing I need to get it to run right underboost at around 5000rpm that is where i'm haveing the problem...the injectors are just not enough to feed the engine...they are just maxed out..oh and I run a rather modest 7 to 8 pounds of boost..premium fuel and not a sign of detonation ..it truely does pull like a monster till 5000rpm then it falls flat on its face...the a/f ratio goes completely lean as it can be,,,and the boost gauge I use is a very high quality one so i'm sure of the boost being right...if there is anymore information I can tell you then please bring it up ..all messages are very appretiated ...oh almost forgot .I have been through all of this and the many cars I have had and only had to use larger injectors to make them run right..if you pick the right injector then IMHO remapping is not needed..unless you want to take out the speed limit or change shift points in some cars...I had a vette and only did the larger injectors while all my friends went with remapping and frankly in thier cases it was a total waste of money, just my experience with it dont mean to put anyone down....oh and Avos...no problems sending the pictures but right now I have it all apart..to fix little things and shine it up some...all the exhaust is stainless steel that almost looks like chrome and the induction tubing is made of polished aluminum, right now I also have my wastegate out being anodized red it came polished aluminum...also some other small stuff..I figured I would do all this comsmetic stuff while I search for my answers to larger injectors...should also add this...if you do many horsepower parts, headers , hotter cams porting.then yes it should be remaped...but if you use a more mild cam and clean up porting then it should not need one...again thats just from my own experience with cars..I have 7 cars and truck and all are either turbo or supercharged. I have a 74 z28 that I run a 671blower on it with a 500horse N2o kit...I made this for my show car, it pretty much won every super chevy meet for 6 years...little pat on my own back,sorry...anyway as soon as I get it back together I will post some pics, be happy to, thanks for messaging

Old 09-29-2010, 11:28 PM

just wanted to appologize if I come off a little rash here...I have very bad people skills I have the pleasure of haveing a bi-polar condition. and just dont play good with others...anyway if anybody should get upset about the way I ask questions and soforth. I appologize, thanks

Old 09-30-2010, 01:38 AM
Veteran Member

No need for apologies!
I don’t know what injectors are used on your car, but I have no doubt you can find others that will fit due to the strong ford ties…

Sorry to ask, but are you sure the fuel pressure was measured full power for the full RPM range? And what where the values?
Before changing the injectors, check your ltft values that will give you an indication how much you can deviate, but again don’t go too far, it can hinder you later.
I am not sure what ECU you have, if it is a denso, it will be hard to program, though I know some places in the UK that could adjust it for different size injector.
Another way to avoid ECU tuning is to match the MAF signal to the injector size, there are products on the market that can alter these (can check the weekend; don’t have the product names with me).

Old 10-01-2010, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member

Here are 2 examples to alter the MAF signal whne you increase the injectors:
http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p..._id=1260198051
http://www.maftpro.com/faq.shtml

Old 05-16-2011, 08:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One way to go around injectors too small is, usually, to increase slightly the fuel pressure on the rail, by replacing, or tampering with, the fuel pressure regulator. Is there any reason why this could not be used in this case? Unless, of course, the rest of the fuel delivery system does not provide enough flow...

DF

Old 05-22-2011, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

ixlr, you say your FPR, increases 1lb fuel press. for 1lb boost ,

we have used a rising rate FPR that goes up 2lb fuel press for each 1lb boost, and keeps a linear rise curve, like can go up 10 lb press. for 4lb boost, and have had gage readings of 80psi fuel press, at 18lb boost.

on turbo Fords. 5.0