Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Center Need help with Jaguar Forums? Ask here! Have a suggestion to help improve Jaguar Forums? Tell us here....THIS SECTION IS NOT FOR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS

Bored To near-Death

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 12:37 PM
Received 190 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Bored To near-Death

Like most feedback mechanisms in an era of [completely bizarre stuff going on], nobody seems to pay much attention, but I'll give it a shot just the same.

It appears as if the woke police have infiltrated the F-Type group by suggesting that if one speaks on any topic except F-Types, you have committed a capital crime worth of verbal execution. Instead of getting into it with these moral crusaders, I decided to see what other people thought.

Allow me to preface this by saying that it is not lost on me that this forum was designed to discuss a particular car, BUT, it is not also here to provide something other than rote information? Otherwise, it will be dull, boring, and eventually unreadable.

Having been a part of many, many forums, lists, and groups since their inception in the early 90's [everything from cars to cooking to travel, politics, economics, sports, you name it], I can tell you that the ones which were vibrant and interesting were the ones that expanded the conversation into related topics. Otherwise, you end up with the same conversations over and over and over...eventually leading to mass boredom and dropout.

If providing technical information is the only purpose of this forum, there would be a much better way to do such [and I am certain that AI will do a MUCH better job of such VERY soon]. Trying to be a one-trick pony has never worked for anybody or anything, no matter how you have mastered one particular subject-matter. Eventually, even the most interesting things gets old.

Anyway, in an attempt to revive this forum and interject other subject-matter, it would be nice to hear from anybody with an opinion as it is the free exchange of information and opinions in the marketplace of ideas that works.

Does anybody care?

Old 04-09-2024, 01:29 PM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Most newbies arrive here with a problem or problems and are looking for advice on how to fix them. They find us in large numbers because jaguarforums.com is usually at the top of any search results due to the pool of knowledge among members past and present. We expect a turnover of membership because it is unusual to keep any vehicle for more than a few years. Life moves on. As a consequence, the same topics will tend to arise regularly but most of our long term participants have a tolerant nature. Many have owned several different Jaguars over the decades. That marque loyalty and the accumulation of knowledge is a vital resource for new owners.

The MODEL forums provide an area for discussion and exchange of information specific to each model. There is some crossover where components are shared either directly or in fundamental design between contemporary model ranges but by keeping this compartmentalisation, issues of misinformation and potentially dangerous advice or assumptions are minimised. Vehicle specifications vary considerably across World markets and we need to avoid promoting anything fundamentally inapplicable, inaccurate or dangerous.

For common issues across several models, we have GENERAL TECH HELP forum.

As an international forum with members around the World, there are major differences in culture and interests. To accomodate this we have the REGION forums and anything of geographical relevance or interest is appropriate in these.

To buy, sell or exchange there is MARKETPLACE and to discuss any other marque, there is NON JAGUAR VEHICLES. We have INTERIOR, EXTERIOR, AUDIO VISUAL, DETAILING, PHOTOGRAPHY and more.

Although jaguarforums.com is unsurprisingly focussed on anything and everything to do with Jaguars, there is little restriction on introducing anything else in OFF TOPIC forum.

I am therefore wondering what is missing from this comprehensive and varied selection to engender such a feeling of ennui.

Graham

The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
Don B (04-29-2024), Jim Kristeff (04-11-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
Most newbies arrive here with a problem or problems and are looking for advice on how to fix them. They find us in large numbers because jaguarforums.com is usually at the top of any search results due to the pool of knowledge among members past and present. We expect a turnover of membership because it is unusual to keep any vehicle for more than a few years. Life moves on. As a consequence, the same topics will tend to arise regularly but most of our long term participants have a tolerant nature. Many have owned several different Jaguars over the decades. That marque loyalty and the accumulation of knowledge is a vital resource for new owners.

The MODEL forums provide an area for discussion and exchange of information specific to each model. There is some crossover where components are shared either directly or in fundamental design between contemporary model ranges but by keeping this compartmentalisation, issues of misinformation and potentially dangerous advice or assumptions are minimised. Vehicle specifications vary considerably across World markets and we need to avoid promoting anything fundamentally inapplicable, inaccurate or dangerous.

For common issues across several models, we have GENERAL TECH HELP forum.

As an international forum with members around the World, there are major differences in culture and interests. To accomodate this we have the REGION forums and anything of geographical relevance or interest is appropriate in these.

To buy, sell or exchange there is MARKETPLACE and to discuss any other marque, there is NON JAGUAR VEHICLES. We have INTERIOR, EXTERIOR, AUDIO VISUAL, DETAILING, PHOTOGRAPHY and more.

Although jaguarforums.com is unsurprisingly focussed on anything and everything to do with Jaguars, there is little restriction on introducing anything else in OFF TOPIC forum.

I am therefore wondering what is missing from this comprehensive and varied selection to engender such a feeling of ennui.

Graham
Hey Graham. As mentioned, I participate in the F-Type forum because I have an F-Type. I am really not interested in other models nor am I interested dedicated "off-topic" forums with people who probably are not all that knowledgeable about things I am interested in. As mentioned, what does make sense to me is to allow discussions that are somewhat spontaneous with folks you have gotten to know a bit from the group you are most invested in. Otherwise, the conversations are homogeneous and arrid.

This is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth, but I have noticed a steady decline in both the participation and quality of the posting. I am of the belief that you are either improving your product/service or you are killing it off. Admittedly, I'll take ownership of my boredom, but I can't be the only one, AND, one might think that those who run this sight might be interested in what their users think [although it appears as if most people have given up on just about everything anymore].

Old 04-10-2024, 05:51 AM
GGG

I've noticed members with current models are less inclined to use other parts of jaguarforums. Both F-Type and F-Pace owners are cases in point.

There is a huge contrast in forum participation for the two models I currently own. F-Pace members make few and infrequent posts whereas several XK owners make regular posts and the thread "views" are high. I think the reason is likely to be that owners of these newer models like their particular model but have no previous experience of Jaguar or lasting association with the marque. Well done Jaguar. You wanted to get away from your traditional demographic and appeal to a younger market but have alienated traditional buyers with a lack lustre product range and replaced them with what is likely to be one-time buyers.

There's been 133 "views" of this thread as I write but no other "replies". I hoped your post would have triggered debate and some strong opinions but nothing as yet.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Don B (04-29-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
I've noticed members with current models are less inclined to use other parts of jaguarforums. Both F-Type and F-Pace owners are cases in point.

There is a huge contrast in forum participation for the two models I currently own. F-Pace members make few and infrequent posts whereas several XK owners make regular posts and the thread "views" are high. I think the reason is likely to be that owners of these newer models like their particular model but have no previous experience of Jaguar or lasting association with the marque. Well done Jaguar. You wanted to get away from your traditional demographic and appeal to a younger market but have alienated traditional buyers with a lack lustre product range and replaced them with what is likely to be one-time buyers.

There's been 133 "views" of this thread as I write but no other "replies". I hoped your post would have triggered debate and some strong opinions but nothing as yet.

Graham
Well, at least you did, and I appreciate that. Like I say, I believe within the current social/political atmosphere we find ourselves, perhaps people are somewhat reticent to expose themselves for fear of [every damn thing]. The shame of it is that there are a bunch of people who are quite passionate about their cars in the group and this generally means they would be passionate about other things, as well.

Anyway, although I like to keep up with the threads to learn anything new about my car, I will look elsewhere for more of a sense of community. It would be nice if this was like the older groups [like Porschephiles back in the day] which was a really nice mix of both car and other subjects of interest], but times have changed and so must we.

Thanks again and keep up the good work!

GGG (04-10-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,987 Likes on 1,689 Posts

I don't have a Jaguar anymore (only the second time in 30 plus years) so don't visit the model forums anymore but am still actively (probably annoyingly) engaged in the Off Topic pages; I have fun on there with a bunch of 'chums' around the planet and whilst not Jaguar specific it is still largely centered around cars.
I have a general opinion that the posher the model the less engagement there seems to be; I have posted a couple of 'interesting' snippets in that I have stumbled across, to forums for models that I am not familiar with (including the XJ220 one) but never received any response so gave up.
Horses for courses I guess; if what you seek cannot be found, then elsewhere must you seek.
Yoda.
Or possibly Mr. Miyagi.

The following 3 users liked this post by Steve M:
Don B (04-29-2024), GGG (04-12-2024), leadfoot4 (04-13-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 03:08 AM
GGG

Steve,

You need to seek another Jaguar.

You will probably find that the less applicable a model is to DiY repair and maintenance, the lower the forum engagement. I find with newer models, I need reach for the laptop more often than open the toolbox. 2017 onwards when JLR went from SDD to Pathfinder diagnostics stopped a lot of owners working on their own vehicles.

Graham

Don B (04-29-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 03:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,987 Likes on 1,689 Posts

I did try but couldn't find anything in budget that I fancied so ended up going over to the dark side.

You are right about the DIY aspect of it; I can clear codes but they just come back again!

GGG (04-12-2024)
Old 04-14-2024, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,149 Likes on 806 Posts

I looked at this thread out of curiosity. Graham, I agree with you completely. I dont believe I have ever looked in the F-type section. Why would I? i dont have one and know next to nothing about them so that my contribution woud be nil. Not that I like or dont like them particularly. Conversely, I frequent the xj40, original S-type, xjs and X350 sections. Why? Because I have them and maybe I can learn something or make some suggestion to help someone else. Friendly chit chat? Thats in the Off topic area, and I am there often also. Synthesis, I mean no offense, but you mention several forums you have been active with.Why? certainly because you were interested enough to participate. Great! If you want to start a discussion on cooking pork tenderloin also great, but thats for the off topic section. not the F-type section. I dont see your issue.

The following 3 users liked this post by jerry_hoback:
Don B (04-29-2024), GGG (04-15-2024), XJ8Germany (04-20-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by jerry_hoback
I looked at this thread out of curiosity. Graham, I agree with you completely. I dont believe I have ever looked in the F-type section. Why would I? i dont have one and know next to nothing about them so that my contribution woud be nil. Not that I like or dont like them particularly. Conversely, I frequent the xj40, original S-type, xjs and X350 sections. Why? Because I have them and maybe I can learn something or make some suggestion to help someone else. Friendly chit chat? Thats in the Off topic area, and I am there often also. Synthesis, I mean no offense, but you mention several forums you have been active with.Why? certainly because you were interested enough to participate. Great! If you want to start a discussion on cooking pork tenderloin also great, but thats for the off topic section. not the F-type section. I dont see your issue.
I am not sure what to tell you, but thank God everybody is entitled to their own opinion!

Have a good one and enjoy!

GGG (04-15-2024)
Old 04-20-2024, 05:09 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting ... i am going with jerry_hobacks opinion.

Ok, i am new in this forum, but well established in quite a lot different forum for many reasons. But, as a guy experiencing the internet and communities from the first start, i can say, some are using forums just for technical reasons and will never ever built social connections, others are in trouble and just want to get maximum help for less than a penny (this kind of people never reply the solution of their problems). Others are way more social and the smallest groupt are people who met in public, whether car enthusiasts or any other hobby.

Of course, the last 3 to 4 years changed to public behaviour massivly. Most people were driven into fear, not only locked up in their own four walls, mentally and health-related terrorized, but also hit by public bashing, ****-storms and so on. I am working as therapist and was shocked, the last years how deeply people, at any age are frightened of that kind of new "online terror".

In Germany and that´s no joke, people get arrested, their homes searched, just by critizing the government online. There is no offensive language in play, just criticizing.

I think the public behaviour changed radically to the worst human and social behaviour, not recognizing, that the source of that developement are just a few mental-ill humans.

Anyway ... i do not look into the F-Type Section, cause i don´t want a F-Type and never will own one. Nice beautiful car, but not my preffered car. Perhaps there are less F-Type driver than XJ, X-Type, etc.

The following 3 users liked this post by XJ8Germany:
Don B (04-29-2024), GGG (04-21-2024), jerry_hoback (04-24-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 05:52 AM
GGG

Yes - public behaviour changed drastically and for the worse since the pandemic but, with a few exceptions, that increasing coarseness, vulgarity and wish to be offended by anything and everything has not yet taken hold here.

Although I enjoy the forum particularly because I've owned and driven many Jaguars over the last fifty years and for more than ten years earned my living repairing them, the international membership here gives a fascinating insight into the different cultures, standards and expectations around the World from that demographic who have also chosen to try and often to stay with Jaguars.

I see posts and photos from members in places I've visited and many from places I'm unlikely ever to see for myself and thank all those who take the trouble to show vehicles I know well in places I don't. I've been on the forum for some time and am still a long way from being bored.

Graham

The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
Don B (04-29-2024), jerry_hoback (04-24-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 06:17 PM
IB Staff
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by synthesis
Well, at least you did, and I appreciate that. Like I say, I believe within the current social/political atmosphere we find ourselves, perhaps people are somewhat reticent to expose themselves for fear of [every damn thing]. The shame of it is that there are a bunch of people who are quite passionate about their cars in the group and this generally means they would be passionate about other things, as well.

Anyway, although I like to keep up with the threads to learn anything new about my car, I will look elsewhere for more of a sense of community. It would be nice if this was like the older groups [like Porschephiles back in the day] which was a really nice mix of both car and other subjects of interest], but times have changed and so must we.

Thanks again and keep up the good work!
I have to wonder if something you're looking for might be done under the Social Groups feature within the community:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/groups/

You could set up a group and have discussions between those in the group, making it less technical but still having the familiar people you want (if they join)?

The following 3 users liked this post by IB JT:
Don B (04-29-2024), GGG (04-26-2024), kkurulak (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 10:34 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Back in 2016, I purchased my first Jaguar, I grew up using service manuals and those wonderful Haynes manuals when I use to work on my Camaros and Mustangs, I even spent the money for an authentic Porsche service manual for my 911. Over time as we when from punch card to DOS, C, C+, Turbo, etc... AOL to Google and the beginning of Forums to today, I seen what worked and what was a short-lived fad. I also knew that if I wanted actual information and not just the textbook general descriptions, I would be finding a forum that meets with my needs.

I audited a few of the forums, I wanted to get a feel and see the quality of posts. I was impressed over time with this Forum and decided to become an active member, maybe not to the degree as some might feel but to the ability of free time I can assign for the task. I am more of the type that have many projects and duties on the go and unfortunately no longer have the time I want to spend on the computer. I really like the simplicity of looking for the topics and dealing with them without having to filter through a lot of irrelevant information.

I do like IB JT's idea of having a location if additional discussion would be of interest, my only fear would be a support post being filled with off topic discussions which dilute the benefit of the original post.

Don B (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 11:22 PM
Received 12,942 Likes on 6,466 Posts

Originally Posted by synthesis
It appears as if the woke police have infiltrated the F-Type group by suggesting that if one speaks on any topic except F-Types, you have committed a capital crime worth of verbal execution. Instead of getting into it with these moral crusaders, I decided to see what other people thought.
Hi synthesis,

Thank you for being willing to express your concerns and boredom and to publicly dream about how the Jaguar Forums could be even better.

I don't have any great advice to offer, but I always pay special attention when a member brings up the "woke police"or "moral crusaders." It is not acceptable for any member to make another member feel bullied or silenced, and the forum has a simple mechanism for reviewing and, if necessary, disciplining infractions. I hope you will not hesitate to use the "Report This Post" function to make the moderators aware of unacceptable behavior (see the yellow triangle with the exclamation point at the above right of any post).

One of the tricky things about any automotive forum is striking the balance between "just the facts" and "all fun and games." In general, the members of the Jaguar Forums do pretty well at balancing their technical discussions with friendly exhanges of personal experiences. But there are certainly members who can't help themselves and insist that others must care for their Jaguar exactly as they do, or who fill threads with post after post of off-topic personal anecdotes until everyone has forgotten what the OP needed help with or wanted to discuss. All of us have our own unique opinions about why the forums exist and what the right balance is, and of course, which balance is right for one thread may be wrong for another.

If you're bored, why not start a thread in the proper forum about something you do or would like to do that is not boring? And if the woke police or moral crusaders infringe, let the moderators know and we'll do our best to help.

Thanks again for speaking up!

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 04-30-2024 at 09:54 PM.
AD2014 (05-19-2024)