Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Center Need help with Jaguar Forums? Ask here! Have a suggestion to help improve Jaguar Forums? Tell us here....THIS SECTION IS NOT FOR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS

Confirmation before "Unsubscribe" in emails?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 04:56 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Confirmation before "Unsubscribe" in emails?

Am I the only one who cringes at the thought of accidentally clicking the "To unsubscribe from ALL threads" link in the followup e-mails sent from the forum?

I have already accidentally clicked on the "To unsubscribe from this thread" link (it's in the same location as the "To view this thread" link in e-mails I get from another forum), and I was surprised to find that there was no "Are you sure?" step.

Is there any way to remove those links, or at least add an "ARE YOU SURE?" step to make sure that you do not lose all of your thread subscriptions due to one errant click?

Tom

Last edited by trymes; 03-13-2013 at 05:12 PM. Reason: removed duplicated "accidentally".
Old 03-13-2013, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

And then you would get the messages from the people who "demand" that the links exist.

Navigation should not be a problem if you navigate by reading the actual text surrounding the link rather than hitting a link just because some other forum happens to put their link in that position.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by plums
And then you would get the messages from the people who "demand" that the links exist.
Hence the reason I did not suggest that you remove the link from the e-mail. Rather, I asked about an "are you sure?" step.

Originally Posted by plums
Navigation should not be a problem if you navigate by reading the actual text surrounding the link rather than hitting a link just because some other forum happens to put their link in that position.
Boy. Wasn't that helpful. Thank you for the pointless sarcastic comment.

The fact remains that accidents happen, and one day I might inadvertently click on that link for any number of unforeseen reasons. It sure would be nice to not lose my subscription to every thread I have ever participated in if/when that happens.

If there is no way to implement that feature, then I fully understand that, but I see no reason for the attitude.

Tom

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Trymes - sorry we can't help with this feature I'm afraid.

I'm sure you do read the text before clicking like most of us and feel sure you will be fine.

It would be a nightmare to lose your subscriptions I guess, but I'm sure we could work something out if that scenario ever came up.

Many thanks for the suggestion.

The following users liked this post:
trymes (03-15-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 08:49 PM

Thanks, Jim. I'll let you know if I ever make "the big click".

Tom

Old 03-14-2013, 03:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Tom, if you are talking about the Unsubscribe link placed at the bottom of a notification email.

You may worry a bit less, in that clicking on the link ONLY removes the subscription for that particular thread and not all your subscriptions.

If you do make a mistake, you can always go back to the thread and make a post in it in order to reactivate the thread subscription.

I know this to be the case because I have just randomly unsubscribed from a couple of threads in this manner and yet I still have around 6500 subscribed threads.

To unsubscribe from ALL threads, you would have to deliberately go through your User CP and follow the instructions to perform this action which would hardly be a mistake.

HTH.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:39 AM

Translator: please double-check your notification emails again. Mine have a second link below the one you describe that is for removing ALL of your subscriptions. Does yours?

Old 03-14-2013, 05:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Hi Tom,
I routinely unsubscribe from my posts however, when bringing up the new post page, any posts that I have been subscribed to will show a downward pointing arrow on the envelope icon in the left hand column.

I can then revisit that post when something new is added knowing that I contributed to it in someway.

Every one has their own way of doing things and this is easiest for me.

Just my 2 cents and I hope you find a solution that is suitable to you.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by trymes
Translator: please double-check your notification emails again. Mine have a second link below the one you describe that is for removing ALL of your subscriptions. Does yours?
No, I use Outlook and this is all I see at the bottom of a notification email.

Unsubscription information:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit this page:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/subscription.php?do=removesubscription&type=thread &subscriptionid=272368&auth=1f316e889d8b9e7dad1c90 48ec0505e2

Last edited by Translator; 03-14-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:18 AM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts

I use a dedicated Hotmail account just for Jaguar Forums. This is what appears on my notifications:

Confirmation before "Unsubscribe" in emails?-cleanup.jpg

The two options arrowed in red are Hotmail ones to either block sender or delete by date.

Graham

Old 03-15-2013, 03:32 PM

Interesting! This is what I see in my emails:

Code:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unsubscription information:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit this page:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...b5848cfa3d3b52

To unsubscribe from ALL threads, please visit this page:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...n&folderid=all
This brings two interesting things up:
  1. Why do I have this and none of you do? Perhaps it is a setting hidden somewhere in the control panel; I shall go look.
  2. Looking at the URLs, the first one says "removesubscription" and the second one says "viewsubscription". I'm not going to be the guinea pig, but I'm guessing that the second link will only show you your subscriptions, rather than simply removing them all.
I'll let you all know if I find anything.

Tom

Old 03-15-2013, 06:49 PM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by trymes
................ I'm not going to be the guinea pig, but I'm guessing that the second link will only show you your subscriptions, rather than simply removing them all...............
Tom,

Your first link is a little disappointing:

Confirmation before "Unsubscribe" in emails?-invalid.jpg

The second very much more exciting:

Confirmation before "Unsubscribe" in emails?-invalid-2.jpg

You can delete all subscribed threads with a single click on the Go button!

Graham

Old 03-15-2013, 07:39 PM

Graham: That's great news. It means this whole thread was pointless, as clicking the "Unsubscribe all" link doesn't just unsubcribe you. Phew!

However, I should point out that clicking "Go" will likely do nothing, unless you select a different folder. Clicking "Empty Current Folder", on the other hand, would likely remove all of your subscriptions.

Thanks for taking the risk!

Tom

Old 03-28-2013, 10:41 AM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Unsubscribe

I am having a prolem unsubscribing from threads. Every time I follow the "unsubscribe link" in the notification emails that I receive, I keep getting the message "Invalid lnk". The result is that I get messages from very old ancient threads whenever there has been a new post made to them.

Any thougts?

Oops, just noticed that I probably should have posted this in General Tech Help!

Last edited by sogood; 03-28-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member

sogood. By my reckoning you need to be logged in to the forum BEFORE you hit the unsubscribe link contained in the email.

Works for me.

Give it a try.