Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Center Need help with Jaguar Forums? Ask here! Have a suggestion to help improve Jaguar Forums? Tell us here....THIS SECTION IS NOT FOR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS

Disabling Infinite Scroll/Related Threads on Chrome

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 11:56 AM
Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Disabling Infinite Scroll/Related Threads on Chrome

I use Chrome as a browser, optimized for general speed and low clutter. Forums like vblive have a lot of content that I could care less for.

The long and short of it is, I hate these features, and I can disable them in say Internet Explorer. When I use Chrome, I cannot. I have no adblockers.
Is a mod able to look into my profile and adjust my settings on some global level? It seems to take when I'm in IE, but after taking all the regular cookie/cache clearing activity I still see "Related Threads" and have infinite scroll on in Chrome, while not in IE.

Side note, I also can't view the marketplace in Chrome, just whitescreens.

Old 03-13-2020, 12:06 PM
Received 4,303 Likes on 3,720 Posts

I checked your profile and both infinite scroll and related threads are disabled so I would expect it to work for any browser - but may be a question IB needs to answer.

Old 03-13-2020, 12:18 PM
IB Staff
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

As @sklimii notes, your account shows both Infinite Scroll/Related disabled. It is account-based and not browser based (with exception to mobile). I have verified it is disabled when using Chrome. Additionally, Marketplace is working correctly with Chrome from my testing. We have a lot of viewers who use Chrome and I've not heard any other reports.

I'd suggest you make sure you're not using any 3rd party add-ons within Chrome and that, of course, you're shown as logged in with Chrome.

Originally Posted by dmchao
I use Chrome as a browser, optimized for general speed and low clutter. Forums like vblive have a lot of content that I could care less for.

The long and short of it is, I hate these features, and I can disable them in say Internet Explorer. When I use Chrome, I cannot. I have no adblockers.
Is a mod able to look into my profile and adjust my settings on some global level? It seems to take when I'm in IE, but after taking all the regular cookie/cache clearing activity I still see "Related Threads" and have infinite scroll on in Chrome, while not in IE.

Side note, I also can't view the marketplace in Chrome, just whitescreens.

The following users liked this post:
sklimii (03-13-2020)
Old 03-13-2020, 12:25 PM
Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts

Thanks for the prompt responses. While you were viewing my thread, I was able to manually delete jaguarforums cookies, and update delete on exit. For some reason, this time it seemed to work. I took this route after trying in incognito mode, and that functionality was just fine. Probably just a "me" issue this time.

Thanks!

Old 05-22-2020, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Can we please disable this by default? I am tired of constantly seeing accidental off topic post by new users ambushed by this functionality. Forums operate on concept of a thread - it is expected to have a start and finish and contain discussion around specific topic. Users are trained to go to the end of thread and post there. Having a threat algorithmically continue into irrelevantland is not good for anything but casual smartphone scrolling. It results in users being unexpectedly lost and/or making necro/off topic posts.

Old 05-22-2020, 12:27 PM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Can we please disable this by default? I am tired of constantly seeing accidental off topic post by new users ambushed by this functionality. ......
A very good point.

I suspect most of the high participation members have disabled this feature. It certainly does contribute to many newbies resurrecting long dead threads.

IB - do you have a way of monitoring how the top 50 or 100 post count members have this set? Also, is there a perceived or proven benefit in having the feature?

Graham

Old 05-22-2020, 01:41 PM
IB Staff
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The feature is to encourage continued participation and site usage. This concept is found in many ways - both online and offline. There is continued work to help improve the relevancy of the similar threads that are shown. Additionally, there's also a "block" that is shown at the end of the original thread to inform the reader that the following are related threads.

There is no near plan to disable the feature as the default setting.

The following users liked this post:
GGG (05-22-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 02:27 PM
Received 6,326 Likes on 5,512 Posts

I like the infinite scroll and miss it on other forums that don't use it, I don't care if I never come across related threads again, isn't that what search is for?