Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Center Need help with Jaguar Forums? Ask here! Have a suggestion to help improve Jaguar Forums? Tell us here....THIS SECTION IS NOT FOR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS

Just a thought

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just a thought

First off, great forum. I'm new here, but it seems everyone is respectable to one another.

After browsing the Private Classified section for many pages, there is a huge problem with lack of pictures, especially with cars for sale.

Sure you can give us a description of the color, interior, and any faults, but it would vastly help all of us who are looking at whats for sale if there were pictures.

I understand not everyone has a camera or cameraphone (but probably knows someone who does), but posting a picture can help not just the buyer, but also the seller. Even if they provide a link to a site that they have pictures, its better than nothing. They don't need to have a picture, but it could help out.

Also, there are some extremely detailed ads, and others severely lacking. I think I saw one ad for a car for sale that was literally 8 words.

My suggestion is that there be a "Please Read This Before Posting An Ad" sticky that has specifics of what needs to be in the ad.

I imagine there are several people who only join the forum to sell their Jaguar, which is understandable, but they do not want to take the time to actually make a descriptive ad.

A good example is:

"I have a gold 1995 xj6, 200k, runs good, $1600, call Jimmy 000-000-0000"

I've seen many of these both as car ads and parts ads.

If there isn't a moderator that already that doesn't weed out this stuff, there needs to be. There is no reason to go through old ads, but the new ones that come should be. If they don't meet the criteria of the Mods request in the sticky thread, then they get deleted within two days if the creator doesn't edit it.

I don't mean to draw this out, it's merely a suggestion. I thought it would help out.

Last edited by SyntheticBlinkerFluid; 01-01-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Thanks for your post 'SBF', my take on this is as follows;

First, if someone wants to sell something privately they will generally need to build some sort of reputation on the forum or be able to provide references to prospective buyers.

This forum does not take kindly to people who only come here to sell something and generally they will be unsuccessful.

Someone who makes 1 post stating 'Car for sale' will generally be weeded out.

Second, if someone is serious about selling something, then it is up to them to provide as much detail as possible including pictures, and some method of contact details.

You will have noted that one of the New Member restrictions is that PMs are not available.

We could set an automatic time limit on items for sale, but for the moment have decided not to.

Let's face it, who in their right mind is going to reply to a private advert from 2006?

IMHO, if someone does not provide me with what I would consider to be 'Normal' details in a car advert, such as what I would expect on Auto Trader, then I am not likely to consider their car.

Just by looking at the threads in this section, you will see that most of them receive zero replies.

However if a long standing active member decides to sell their car, they will generate interest.

BTW, have you tried the 'Used Cars' section available from the horizontal top tool bar? OK dealers/garages only but....

Old 01-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your reply, like I said, merely a suggestion. If its been working fine, then good. It was just something I observered.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  19.3 KB

Hi there, I see you've already received a reply from Richard outlining exactly as I would the reasons in response to your query, so a big +1 from me.