Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Center Need help with Jaguar Forums? Ask here! Have a suggestion to help improve Jaguar Forums? Tell us here....THIS SECTION IS NOT FOR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS

Lightening Scroll to End of Intro Threads

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,204 Likes on 5,385 Posts
Default Lightening Scroll to End of Intro Threads

Relatively recently, I have noticed when I write and send a Welcome in the New Members area, as soon as I hit SEND, I'm Instantly scrolled with Lightening speed down to MY OWN POST! I know what I wrote, and if I need to edit it I know where to find it.

I enjoy reading others' Welcome notes, just because. I'm beginning to find this somewhat annoying, especially when there are several new members to welcome, to be Flashed down to my own post rather than be able to move seamlessly through the thread like we did before.

Is there a reason for this, other than Software Engineers have to change stuff at frequent intervals to show they aren't just drinking coffee and eating donuts all day.
(';')

Old 01-09-2020, 03:27 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Elinor,

Have you disabled "infinite scroll" in User CP - Settings & Options - Edit Options - Thread Display Options? When introduced, it was set to enabled by default.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
motorcarman (01-11-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Infinite scroll is one of the worst features that were ever rolled out on this site. The way it currently works might as well be renamed "show random post at random time".

dmchao (03-13-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 08:01 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

It's not infinite scroll that causes the "show random post at random time". problem it's the related threads feature.
You can turn that off in your control panel which then makes the infinite scroll functional but you can also turn that off if you wish.

GGG (01-09-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 08:35 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Norri
It's not infinite scroll that causes the "show random post at random time". problem it's the related threads feature.
You can turn that off in your control panel which then makes the infinite scroll functional but you can also turn that off if you wish.
Have you found an "alienate experienced members" button? That feature is certainly working very efficiently as more and more of our most knowledgeable contributors have clearly had enough.

Graham

Old 01-09-2020, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member

AND JUST WHY IN THE "BLEEP" CAN'T THEY LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE?!!

Not only that, but "they" seem to be taking a page from Jaguar's "Hidden Inline Fuses to Frustrate Owners" book as I don't find the page matching Norri's screen shot.
(';')

Old 01-09-2020, 11:34 AM
IB Staff
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LnrB
AND JUST WHY IN THE "BLEEP" CAN'T THEY LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE?!!

Not only that, but "they" seem to be taking a page from Jaguar's "Hidden Inline Fuses to Frustrate Owners" book as I don't find the page matching Norri's screen shot.
(';')
It's under the User CP and then Edit Options.

Nearly all user-specific options are in the User CP. The User CP link is located in the upper left corner of all pages displayed within the forums.

I'm not so sure neither suggestion is going to address your concern? If I understand your concern correctly, what the software is doing is what it has been doing for a while. Focusing the browser on the last read part of the thread after submitting a response is something that has been part of the software for some time?

Old 01-09-2020, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by IB JT
It's under the User CP and then Edit Options.

Nearly all user-specific options are in the User CP. The User CP link is located in the upper left corner of all pages displayed within the forums.

I'm not so sure neither suggestion is going to address your concern? If I understand your concern correctly, what the software is doing is what it has been doing for a while. Focusing the browser on the last read part of the thread after submitting a response is something that has been part of the software for some time?
Thank you,
I'll try changing those settings and see if that solves the problem.
(';')

Old 01-09-2020, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Infinite scroll and related threads would be a lot less obnoxious if transition between different threads was more clear visually, and if when scrolling it would bump or stop at transition. As it stands now, when you are trying to reach the end of the thread it is too easy to unintentionally venture into a different thread and inadvertently misplace your reply.