Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Center Need help with Jaguar Forums? Ask here! Have a suggestion to help improve Jaguar Forums? Tell us here....THIS SECTION IS NOT FOR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS

Lump Section?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,204 Likes on 5,385 Posts
Default Lump Section?

Could we please have a Lump section?

Having one would certainly keep those of us with Chevy power plants out of the way of the Purists who despise our cars because, in their eyes, they've been "violated."

Not that I feel there's anything wrong with the desire to keep everything *Original*, I have a bit of that myself. But it's a fact of life with these cars is that they are now so old, and very few Mercans truly speak British engineering, that most of the Jaguars I know of (quite a few although I'm a new owner) older than 15 years would have been scrapped without the option of transplanting GM engines into them. This goes for all the 70s and 80s models and some 90s models, whether Xj6, Xj12, XjS, or Xj40.

The flame war in the XjS list a few weeks ago is a case in point. ( https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e-guys-113251/) I'm sure everyone in Admin is aware of the strong opinions and emotions (some not even rational) on both sides of the Lumping issue from Professionals and DIYers alike, on both sides of the Pond.

Some of the more militant purists may prefer these beautiful cars be crushed rather than undergo the "Obscenity" of Lumping, but that would be such a waste. Many of us simply wouldn't be driving Jaguars if not for the resourcefulness of the Lumpers.

If nothing else, we keep these cars on the road rather than hidden away in a barn somewhere or in a wrecking yard because they don't run anymore and no one has the money or knowledge, not to mention the time to try fixing them.

If we had a Lump section it might alleviate some of the resentment on both sides of the issue and promote a more friendly and supportive forum for everyone.
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 04-07-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

There's been mention of "should we have a lump section? here.......I've also been advised of a "flame war" within this thread / section.

Firstly, as far as I see and at this moment in time, I see no need for a lump section.....

There will always be differences in opinion on this, whether it should be 100% original and Jag through n through, or whether engine swaps are a good idea. There will always be the purists, no matter what and or if another section were to be created.

For now, I believe it will stay as is, but we're always open to looking at it again in the future.

Furthermore, having quickly read through the many posts here, I see no real flame war, no real nasty comments / remarks, just members passionate about "their" choices for their cars...

Thats part of what this and any forum is about.

With that said, please remember to rein in certain comments and avoid being rude / offensive as forum rules dictate, ie - treat others as you yourself would wish to be treated.

Thank you

Old 04-07-2014, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JimC64
There's been mention of "should we have a lump section? here.......I've also been advised of a "flame war" within this thread / section.

Firstly, as far as I see and at this moment in time, I see no need for a lump section.....

There will always be differences in opinion on this, whether it should be 100% original and Jag through n through, or whether engine swaps are a good idea. There will always be the purists, no matter what and or if another section were to be created.

For now, I believe it will stay as is, but we're always open to looking at it again in the future.

Furthermore, having quickly read through the many posts here, I see no real flame war, no real nasty comments / remarks, just members passionate about "their" choices for their cars...

Thats part of what this and any forum is about.

With that said, please remember to rein in certain comments and avoid being rude / offensive as forum rules dictate, ie - treat others as you yourself would wish to be treated.

Thank you
OK, thank you, Jim, for your prompt reply.

I always try to be kind, considerate and encouraging whenever I post, no matter the list or section.

I also try not to rub others' noses in MY opinions/preferences as if mine are the only valid ones. Wouldn't that be boring! I merely thought it would be a good idea to ask about a Lump section. I wasn't aware the subject had been brought up before. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, and all that.

If you see no need, I'm OK with that.
(';')

Old 04-08-2014, 05:48 AM
Veteran Member

No problem LnrB. Thanks for the thought.

It is something we'll monitor and may yet happen, never say never.......

Old 04-08-2014, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 570 Likes on 355 Posts

I vote to add a lump section. The forum is for bringing people together.

IMHO resistance to lumping is to some degree a matter of a new member making a less-than-stellar first impression simply by announcing their ...er, lumpiness (I'm not speaking for anyone other than myself). Personally, I love Jaguars for lots of silly reasons. But I don't think a lumper shouldn't be welcome just because their reasons are different. They'd have to start their own forum.

The restomod concept is well-accepted among enthusiasts for other brands.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mkii250
.......But I don't think a lumper shouldn't be welcome just because their reasons are different. They'd have to start their own forum.

The restomod concept is well-accepted among enthusiasts for other brands.
Hi there, thanks for your comments.

No one, certainly not I or any of the mod team, or I believe the bulk of the member base are saying.....lumpers aren't welcome here, of course they are.

They're free to use this forum the same as anyone else and should be accorded the same respect of any member.

As it stands it doesn't warrant a stand alone section at present.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 570 Likes on 355 Posts

Sorry Jim, I really didn't intend to say that lumpers were unwelcome by anyone at all, though I guess my post does read that way. I just meant to express support for them and their interests

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (04-10-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mkii250
Sorry Jim, I really didn't intend to say that lumpers were unwelcome by anyone at all, though I guess my post does read that way. I just meant to express support for them and their interests

Thank you.

I didn't for one moment think that you meant that attitude prevailed here or was your thoughts.

I simply wanted to convey the general consensus of opinion on this matter

Old 04-16-2014, 07:56 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd be sad if I had to put a bowtie on my cat. :-)

Old 04-17-2014, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bucky83
I'd be sad if I had to put a bowtie on my cat. :-)
Then, don't.

Actually, I worked for a woman once, who put bow ties on all her pets.
(';')