Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Center Need help with Jaguar Forums? Ask here! Have a suggestion to help improve Jaguar Forums? Tell us here....THIS SECTION IS NOT FOR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS

Mark this forum read

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,987 Likes on 1,689 Posts
Default Mark this forum read

Have a new laptop and it is not automatically un-highlighting a topic when I come out of it so I can't see if there is a new post when I go back in, I have to select the 'Mark this forum read' box to clear it.
Is there a setting somewhere to enable this?
Thanks.

Old 06-29-2020, 03:19 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Steve,

Do you mean this highlight effect:

1. your "Mark this forum read" thread (boxed in green) is in LIGHT text because I've read the post
2. the "Returning Member - still unimpressed" thread (boxed in red) is in DARK text because there's a new post in it I haven't read

Graham

Old 06-29-2020, 12:07 PM
IB Staff
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve M
Have a new laptop and it is not automatically un-highlighting a topic when I come out of it so I can't see if there is a new post when I go back in, I have to select the 'Mark this forum read' box to clear it.
Is there a setting somewhere to enable this?
Thanks.
Next time you come out of a thread and it's not un-highlighted, do a browser refresh by holding down the Ctrl key while pressing the F5 key. See if it changes then.

Old 06-29-2020, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
Steve,

Do you mean this highlight effect:

1. your "Mark this forum read" thread (boxed in green) is in LIGHT text because I've read the post
2. the "Returning Member - still unimpressed" thread (boxed in red) is in DARK text because there's a new post in it I haven't read

Graham
I have just read this, gone out again and it is still highlighted, with no new posts since I went in.

Old 06-29-2020, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by IB JT
Next time you come out of a thread and it's not un-highlighted, do a browser refresh by holding down the Ctrl key while pressing the F5 key. See if it changes then.
That works but is just a shortcut to 'Mark this forum read'.
It's not an extinction level event but it is frustrating and I can't figure why it has changed; must be an update somewhere.

Old 06-29-2020, 03:59 PM
IB Staff
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve M
That works but is just a shortcut to 'Mark this forum read'.
It's not an extinction level event but it is frustrating and I can't figure why it has changed; must be an update somewhere.
That means your browser is showing you a stale page from it's cache.

When you read a topic, the database gets updated showing a topic has been read at a certain timestamp by the account. This is done to control the "highlighted" thread markup, as well as email notifications, so the system knows what the account has read and not read and can determine what is and isn't new for the account. Because the database cannot save all posts for all accounts this way, there is a cutoff date that is used in the system to determine any content older than X days as automatically being read - regardless if it was or not.

This behavior described above hasn't changed for some time. The issue you're experiencing is because your browser is serving you content from the cache. You're seeing the page that you seen prior to reading the topic - which is why the change isn't reflected. This could be the way you're accessing the site (such as through a proxy) or it could be due to a browser issue or setting that is displaying previously loaded pages to save you bandwidth and also load the page faster from memory rather than from the network connection. This is not a setting on the site side.

Old 06-29-2020, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member

I figured that it wasn't anything to do with the site, definitely something at my end.
As I said, I am still getting to grips with a new laptop at the moment.

Old 06-30-2020, 02:21 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Steve,

I used to stay logged into the forums permanently but for some time now have logged out every night and cleared my PC cache. The tool I use for this is CCleaner from Piriform. I have the paid version but the free version is sufficient. Something like this could be worth a try for you.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Steve M (06-30-2020)