Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Center Need help with Jaguar Forums? Ask here! Have a suggestion to help improve Jaguar Forums? Tell us here....THIS SECTION IS NOT FOR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS

Permission to reprint JTIS pages ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 02:26 AM
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Permission to reprint JTIS pages ?

Greetings to Jim, Matt, Caddy or any Admin who wishes to clarify this point:

I am under the impression that the JTIS is a document that is protected by copyright, and therefore cannot be redistributed without consent. That leads me to conclude that sections of the manual should not be posted here. If that viewpoint is "laughable", please let me in on the joke...

'Cause it would sure save me alot of time in writing detailed answers to peoples' questions, when I could simply say "Go to section blah blah blah of the JTIS, it's posted as a sticky in the General Tech Help forum".

So if it's permissable, please post a copy of the JTIS on this site. If it's not, please shed a little light on what you feel is appropriate regarding this issue. Thanks for your consideration,

Andy

Old 08-24-2009, 11:37 AM

bump.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:13 PM

Bump for Matt, since I caught you looking,

Old 08-24-2009, 03:24 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Well, if the JTIS is copyright protected, many of us are going to the big house. I also would think that everyone on ebay reproducing these and sellign them leads me to believe it isn't.

I do believe it justifies closer scrutiny via the legal ramifications (if any) to cut and paste from this document. I have heard of absolutely noone being reprimanded for it. I will do some checking.

Until otherwise noted, JTIS content should be considered fair game.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:27 PM
Veteran member

Remember JTO, the JTIS instructions are not always friendly to alot of normal people, the translation into laymen's terms are often appreciated. The software/CD can be intimidating. Written for technicians.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:31 PM

Thanks, I think you can see my point. If it's fair game, put a direct link on here and people can ask for interpretations after they read the information straight from the source. The JTIS has XK ride height specs, and diagrams of how and where you adjust rear wheel toe and camber, for instance.

If it's not permissable, I wouldn't want people republishing copywritten material if I was subject to legal exposure. I don't have "Jaguar" as part of my company name, because back in the day they used to get quite upset about messing with the franchise.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:51 PM
Veteran member

I am hoping (not confirmed by any means) that in part (as in a diagram, a writeup/procedure, etc), it is ok to display, but completely reproduced and made available may be the major fopah.

...to be continued

Old 08-24-2009, 04:54 PM

'Preciate it. At least you're not dismissing it as "laughable"., it didn't strike me as trivial either.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:03 PM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

JagtechOhi0,

You are wise to remove yourself at least one step from this issue and not provide a direct link. It is one thing for amateur's acesssing data for their own use and that is a marginal call at best. When something is out of print, out of production and reasonable attempts have been made to make data available. Quite another if the going price the author wants is steeper than some want to pay. Creation of new manuals on same subjects obviuosly OK but use of same text or copy of text even if not the physical copy can get you in hot water.

I produce design as a work product. Usually if an individual has gotten hands on the data and uses it for his own project, it is not worth the return to go after them. If they are a professional and use my product data to side step my design fees and sell the equipement to the end user so they can replicate my work. The professional gets a subpeona.

The way to refer them is "if you hava a copy of the manual, refer to section....."
We need to keep you around. Let some one else be the one to help them find a copy of the manual or selected ection to share as part of the "Jag lover's book club".

Having warned you not to be too nice a guy and deliver respect to you for bringing the subject up, I would also warn those who would shut down the information path. The only ones I could think of as having interest would be dealers and some independent mechanics. You need to loosen up or you will kill your source of income. The close vest information policy coupled with gotta replace the whole assembly crap will put dealers in a category of marketing disposable cars. OK for a KIA, not for a $70,000 car.

The independent mechanic will benefit from open information as we don't all want to work on the car but we do not want to bend over while we play trial and error at $125/hour. The manual/information supports those who are credible.

Th best way to do this is for a forum sponsor to go to jag and set this up as a benefit of becoming a member. Oh wait, that would mean deveoping and respecting customer relations. We obviously are going to have to get those terms translated from german or japanese into the Queen's English.

Regards,
Steven (1avguy)

Old 08-25-2009, 12:12 AM

Greetings One,

First off, thank you for your kind words, they are much appreciated.

I am an independant, and put my money where my mouth is when I voice agreement to the policy of the free interchange of information. I think it save$ alot of people, and invest the time because I anticipate an equal return at some point.

Independant technicians are personna non grata to Jaguar. My re-introduction is not going to come as a result of redistributing their copywritten material, as I am not going to do it. No worries here.

So if karaoke posting by pasting in manual reprints is OK, put the whole manual online and be done with it. I bought a copy, and I don't think Jaguar has made it available on line for free access. Maybe you can follow a bunch of links to ****** a bootleg copy, I haven't tried.
I'm also not looking for a job with the Napster Police.

That leaves the question of degree, which is what Matt was speaking to. It's a point I would want to consider if I ran the site, and so I raised it to their attention after I witnessed it.

The chances that anyone who works for Jaguar ever reads this Forum are slim but not impossible. I don't know why the contributors who were Dealer techs have all disappeared, maybe somedody pulled somebody's chain But I don't recall them pasting in TSB's or JTIS pages when they were here either, depite the time it could have saved or the ease with which they could have done so.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:54 AM
Veteran member

After a discussion with other mods/admins, it has been decided that short reproductions, snippets, images, etc from the JTIS program may be used as reference here. Always remember, just like in college, to cite your source as the original JTIS cd.

Full display or reprinting (yah, like that'll happen) or actual links and/or supported release (i.e. download) of the JTIS program will no longer be allowed thru the message boards. I will contact other members who have posted direct links, and encourage off-bard PMs or emails for any larger degrees of JTIS assistance.