Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Center Need help with Jaguar Forums? Ask here! Have a suggestion to help improve Jaguar Forums? Tell us here....THIS SECTION IS NOT FOR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS

Put "Instructions to Newbees" Sticky in all the Jaguar Models sections

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,621 Likes on 874 Posts
Default Put "Instructions to Newbees" Sticky in all the Jaguar Models sections

Hi
I think it would be a good idea to add a sticky thread to all of the Jaguar Models sections. The reason I think it should be in all the Model sections is that is the place they go first to find answers to whatever issues they have with their Jaguar.

This thread would give the newbee a leg up on the how to do things on the forum.
Here are some of the things that should be included:

Make sure you include: your car's year and model (XJ8, XJR, XK8, etc).

When creating a new tread - make sure the title has a relevant information will make it clear what help or information you require. Example: "My check engine light is on" is good, but better is "My check engine light is on with no message alert". Plus other examples would help.

List of where to find the how to's that are already documented on the forum in Help & Suggestion Center with weblinks to each of specific help items (how to insert attachment, create images, etc).

I could go on adding to what should be included, but I think you should have to good idea now of what I envisioned.

This Sticky would be sort of a Summary of items that covers how to use the forum.

Let me know what you think by posting to this tread.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 04-16-2011 at 12:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Marc (04-19-2011)
Old 04-16-2011, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Well err, we do. All new members receive a copy of the New Member guidelines in their Welcome email.

They are also available at the top of the New Member section.

And can also be accessed through the link in both my and h20boy's signature.

Whilst we evidently, can not force people to read them, quite a lot of New members obviously do so.

Creating another list of where to find 'how to's' would not really help much, because we would then have to create a further link of where to find the where to find the 'how to's'. And still people would miss it.

When a member posts in the wrong place, we always try to quickly move the post and advise the member.

If a member asks, how to post pics etc then we rely on all members (not just the Mods) to help them along, by pointing them in the right direction.

There is also the General FAQ in the toolbar at the top of the forums which gives guidelines about most aspects of using the forum.

Always good to receive ideas for improvements.

Click on the link in my signature.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Default Somehow I never rec'd the New Member welcome email

Hi Translator
I am not trying to attack anything. Only trying to suggest an improvement.

I guess I was in the dark. I never received the New Member welcome email with all the information about the forum. At least I don't remember receiving it.

This is my experience as a newbee.
I never introduced myself to the forum. I just jumped in and tried to do whatever that seem to make sense.

I also found that using the Yahoo or Google searches using the right terms ("Jaguar forum coolant hoses" for example) bings up better search results than doing searches from any of the forum webpages.

This is not a criticism, I am only expressing my own experiences and it should be taken just as a useful tip.

I have used it numerous times and I found it to be the quickest way to find information on the Jaguar forums (this forum, plus others like Roadfly,etc).

There probably many other useful tips that could be added.

It's just my opinion that this idea might help a lot of newbees with some very good tips about finding solutions for their Jaguar issues.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 04-16-2011 at 01:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Marc (04-19-2011)
Old 04-16-2011, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

I know you are not on the attack Jim, you never are, and I agree that giving a post as descriptive a title as possible it also helpful to search engines, and including the key words as often as possible in the post also helps.

We are always open to suggestions as to how to improve the forum, and rely on feedback from the members, such as your good self.

One of the 'problems' is that you can lead a horse to water but you can't always make it drink (don't know who thought up that one).

I'm pretty sure that we brought in the Guidelines in the Welcome email after you had joined the forum.

All the best,

Old 04-16-2011, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member
Default Maybe use a different Title "Newbee Tips"

Hi Translator
Maybe use "Newbee Tips" instead of "Instructions to Newbees" for a Sticky thread title.

Then the thread would only hold Tips that were collected from the more experienced Forum members, moderators and administer.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 04-16-2011 at 01:42 PM.