Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Center Need help with Jaguar Forums? Ask here! Have a suggestion to help improve Jaguar Forums? Tell us here....THIS SECTION IS NOT FOR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS

SCAMMERS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Banned, ArmyJag
Thanks for your co operation

Old 03-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm banned

Kidding sorry just found the report post icon up there in the corner I will use that from now on.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Great clean up work Cadillac

Old 03-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member

I feel like some detergant today ,clean clean clean no remove the dirts lol
Thanks Army

Old 03-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think other forums make you jump through more hoops when signing up. That seems to keep the spambots at bay.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:07 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Spam alert pm sent "antiagingdoctor"............ oh the horror

Old 03-28-2009, 03:04 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

There's a thread titled "739 Nexo pages on jaguarforums.com. " on the General Tech forum that contains links that may be a scam. The member has posted one time and is from Liberia. Hint, hint,

Eric

Old 03-30-2009, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car22.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  16.5 KB

Thanks Toller and to all you guys who take the time n trouble to report these guys. Most of these type of posts are moderated now to help cut donw the load as we seem to be targeted at the moment. Myself n Caddie try to deal with everythin else asap to keep the forum as free n clean as possible for all.
Thanks again guys

Old 03-31-2009, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member

I gotta love "moderated" feature as well. Those scammers mostly occupied XK8/XKR Forums this time and banned them all
Thanks all

Old 10-22-2009, 10:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

spam! the new white meat!

Old 10-23-2009, 07:09 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Jim, I have an idea. What if we gave the spammers their own area to play in? I know what you are thinking, no @$#%ing way. But, this is the idea. From what I can tell, what they are looking for is the post to be deleted. This means someone looked at it. Unfortunately, our good attempt at minimizing the effect on the rest is backfiring. So, what would happen if we created a "forum" that only the moderators can see that we can simply move all the posts to that location. It is out of sight of the general people and yet the spams will see that their post is still there.

It is an idea. Not sure exactly how well it would work. Then all we would need to do is to then limit their future postings to that unvisited forum. Then, maybe after say 500 posts show up, one of us goes in and group deletes all the posts.

Curious to hear what others would have to say about this idea. I don't want to say give them what they want, but maybe simply giving them the illusion that they are not being deleted since there is "no activity" to the post may make them look else where.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey thermo, thanks for the idea...seems feasible in theory.
I'll check it out and come back to you if there's anything to report. Basically, we need to run these sorta things by the tech guys and see what their take is on it.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Hi Guys,
I also hate spam and the way it can mess up an excellent forum such as this, I hadn't realized that it was such a big problem until now. (Jim and all it is not a thankless task, we are very grateful for your work).

I have spent some time studying vBulletin and how it works, even to the extent of joining their forum to get a better idea of the tools that can be used to prevent spam etc.

A couple of simple suggestions.

Have the Forum Admin change the registration procedure to include email activation of a new subscription, ie the new user must reply physically to an automatically generated email containing the final part of the registration process, before they can post. At the moment this is not the case. I created a test profile here to check. (When you have a moment please delete the profile "nospam", but please do not ban the IP Address otherwise I'll be stuffed, sorry for the extra work).

Most spammers will not reply to email and if they do, then you can always set the filter to ban their IP address permanently to prevent them in the future.

Apparently the filters can also be set so that new members cannot use certain keywords or strings in their posts until they have made a minimum number of posts. So for example you can prevent a new member including keywords such as, [url], [www], [email], [mobile phone] etc. until they have successfully posted X number of times. Nearly all the spam we are seeing contains links of one form or another. Using MOD filter will stop the post from being made.

The filter can also be set to prevent multiple registrations from the same IP address.

Stronger, you can also block known spam domains entirely, eg, .ru, .cn etc

For more info: vbulletin.org

Keep up the good fight.

Hope this is of some small use.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:39 AM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Old 10-24-2009, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member

I also mentioned about Translator's idea on the registration way .In some forums , becoming a member is being taken one step further .
For instance : Web based e-mail accounts are not allowed . I don't think it's an essential for us to do that because I believe most of our regular members use web based e-mail accounts at their registrations
Thermo's idea look attractive too .