Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Center Need help with Jaguar Forums? Ask here! Have a suggestion to help improve Jaguar Forums? Tell us here....THIS SECTION IS NOT FOR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS

spam posts / pms and forum improvements

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Exclamation spam posts / pms and forum improvements

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  19.3 KB

K...so I haven't seen any spam pm's for a little while, anyone else since the changes???
Also noticed a sgnificant drop in the amount of basic spam posts into the off topic section and also in the photo gallery section since the inception of the new "full access memers" group and the limits imposed on posts and how long a member has been part of the forum

Also - I've added @mail.ru as a recognised spam email address which I think may help. I noticed that a large portion of spammers were using this and 99% if not 100% of them were all spammers, so that should help cut them down a little as ALL members trying to join with that in their email address will not be allowed to register.

I've noticed that another favourite seems to be @gmail.com and I'm currently looking into this. I have heard a few people speak about this though and would need to be as sure as possible before any move can be made so as not to ban any of our good / long standing members!
Currently noticed that a huge amount of spammers trying to gain access to the site are using gmail in some form or another
If anyone else notices any trends like this please let me know as it may be something else to look at in future

I have noticed, however, a huge increase in members to be moderated, sometimes as many as 100+ in a day!
I try to keep on top of this as much as possible and it seems like around 99% of these are spam related in one way or another.

Essentially, the improvments made seem to have made quite a difference to date as far as I can see
This is something we will keep an eye on constantly, as always. Anyone notices any new trends to try and circumnavigate these, please advise asap

Old 02-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Hi Jim,

I don't know if you have a traffic monitor tool, but you may want one that shows the locations on a map and the IPs. McAfee used to have this feature and I used it to ban geographic areas like Russia, China and the like. I used IP ranges as a filter.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Old 02-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member

Views: 26

Thanks Mike, I'll certainly bear it in mind......many thanks

Old 02-01-2010, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

I have also gladly noticed that new regulations have made huge effects at descending the number of spammers .

Old 02-02-2010, 02:44 AM
Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

All that hard work to keep this a safe and usable place to come to. Thank you all very much for your hard work.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default no admin?

I received an email today from a user attempting to get some info from me via phishing. As a network engineer I'm frustrated that after 15 minutes I can't find anyone responsible for this website, no links, no email addresses, etc. Please stop users from sending garbage like this, I take this stuff VERY serious. Thank you.

This URL is for phishing!!!!

JoannyDavis, entitled "Attention!".

To read the original version, respond to, or delete this message, you must log in here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/private.php

This is the message that was sent:
Your computer was noticed in email spam. It is quite possible that it is a part of botnet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botnet). Strongly recommend you to scan your computer for malware. You can do it online, for example, at:http://virus-total.in/detected/spammers/chrislynn5 Please, follow this. Otherwise I have to send abuse mail to your ISP with all the ensuing consequences.Thank you, Joan Davis.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had 3 spammy pms sent to me in the past week....complete with links offsite. The messages came from members with a profile as "guest". If you want I can copy the message here.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:19 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Jim, looks like 'guests' are getting around the PM limitation. The infractions are picking up it seems.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:37 AM
ud
Received 148 Likes on 75 Posts
Default For the Admins - I couldn't Register

This is for Jim.

Just an FYI - I am new and tried to register under my email address about a month ago. I went through the steps to the point I was waiting for a confirmation email. It never came. Then I went back to reregister under my email address and password. I received a message that said I was banned, reason none, ban will be lifted, never.

I was able to finally register under an old email address that still happens to be active for now. I hope someday to change my profile to my correct email address; however, I'm hoping it does not immediately ban me.

Best,

Old 02-22-2010, 06:37 AM
Veteran Member

Views: 30

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.
They're tricky buggers these spammers thats for sure. Its looking more n more like we may have to go down the email confirmation route for ALL members as this may be the only way to stop this.
I'll look into it

Old 02-22-2010, 07:16 AM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default spamming

The email I received appears to have come from a user, not guest. As for admin comment, Where do you contact the admin, I see no email abuse links, or anything on the website.

from the private message area:
You have received a new private message at Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum from JoannyDavis, entitled "Attention!".

Thanx.