Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Center Need help with Jaguar Forums? Ask here! Have a suggestion to help improve Jaguar Forums? Tell us here....THIS SECTION IS NOT FOR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS

Useless website

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 09:44 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

John,

If it's any consolation, there's hundreds if not thousands of discussion boards on the internet covering virtually any subject you can think of. I've never seen one that DOESN'T operate in a similar fashion to this one. In other words, if you master this one, all the others will be easy to navigate.

I happen to be left handed and all ATM bank machines are designed for right handed people. They're not going to change, so I just adapt and go with the flow.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mikey:
JimC64 (07-23-2013), Stuart Beattie (07-24-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Norri
John is this the button you are looking for?

You can find it at the top left of every subsection main page.

As shown by Norri, the "New thread" button you refer to is there, and always has been, quite simple really.
I believe that anyone taking the time and trouble to actually look and peruse the site finds it very easily and fairly intuitive compared to others.

Thanks Norri

Originally Posted by OldMike
What am I missing? If you can start this thread, you can ask questions! And, apparently, you've done this before -- I'm beginning to smell a rat! LOL
+1 on the above comments.
You had no issues starting this thread, so I struggle to get to grips with your complaint tbh

Originally Posted by jimbov8
With the greatest of respect John it is easy if you listen.

Open up any forum page you like, underneath the title box you will see a box entitled New Thread, click on it and post your question.

It really is that easy.

I also re-read all the previous posts and nowhere did anyone refer to you as an "idiot"
If you have some ideas on how you think the forum could be improved for the better of all, then a well written, constructive post to the Mods may help, especially in the light of your computer programming knowledge.
Very well written post by Jimbov8 ( thank you )
No one anywhere as far as I can see referred to you as an "idiot" as we're not that kind of forum.
Chances are they would have been reprimanded had they done so....we take pride in being a friendly and helpful site

It may be that you feel like an idiot ( no offence ) but we certainly didn't bring that up........it was simply referred to as perhaps being operator error, no more, no less.

Originally Posted by John Duffy
It would seem that only by 'losing my rag' have I been able to find how to set up a new thread. I have attempted to contact the 'moderator' on several occasion to ask how to set up a new thread but never had a reply.

As they say, it's easy once you know how. But, if you don't it can be impossible to find and extremely frustrating particularly if the site is not intuitive. Every time I have entered the site successfully it has been ten or fifteen minutes of searching around and getting in 'by accident'. I still maintain that the Home pace should have a simple tab saying Ask Your Question. It can have sub-menus directing the question to the area of the site which deals with the particular model.

Thank you to those, particularly Norri, who clarified something which has frustrated me for several years and thank you to GGG for the link - the reason I came to the site in the first place.
You admit to losing the rag John......perhaps you're not the most patient of people and want answers IMMEDIATELY?
These are your words, not mine.

Again, no offence intended but I struggle to believe that you contacted a mod asking for assistance and got no reply?
The mods are easily recognisable by their badges, further, they are identified on the homepage at the far right.

We are fortunate enough to have some of the best mods on any site on the net, they are fast, friendly, knowledgable and very approachable, I know this to be fact.

The site works it would seem from knowledge going back several years for 99% of the members who have no issues, or at best perhaps some small points that may help to improve the experience.

From your comments, you would seem to fall into the 1% category John

I note that your comments were fast and loose and not so much as a please or thank you, whilst you ran this forum down as being useless and yet you still received help, with around 20+ replies to date in this thread!

We are happy to help as much as we can.

If however you still decide you want to remove yourself from this site, please let me know by replying here and I'll be happy to oblige.

The following 3 users liked this post by JimC64:
jimbov8 (07-23-2013), Stuart Beattie (07-24-2013), XJRChad (07-23-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 10:21 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Smile I love this Forum

Ok I admit at times having problems finding stuff but that's me .
I did learn from the "new thread : post that that was how to ask a question too.
However some years ago I belonged to another make forum and found those members to be clannish/ clickish and in general with a few exceptions it was like an old boys club.
This forum has been a source of information given by friendly helpful people and as a result has made me more confident in owning an XJR and less reluctant to seek advice .I truly am appreciative of the members talents , humor and "patience".They have offer great advice and some truly interesting threads that provide daily information. Such as Jeff's twin screw saga , and Water Dragons quest for an 11.99 1/4 mile .

Thanks to all.

The following 3 users liked this post by Graham Royls:
JimC64 (07-23-2013), Stuart Beattie (07-24-2013), XJRChad (07-23-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 10:45 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

To Jimbov8

Maybe Gus's comment wasn't directed at me but I certainly took it that way - “I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of IDIOTS.” – Albert Einstein

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (07-24-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

The only comment made by Gus was......

"Sorry you feel that way we all try to help as best we can!"

The quote by Albert Einstein is part of his signature and ALWAYS there!

Perhaps an apology would be in order as you assumed wrongly?

The following 2 users liked this post by JimC64:
2002XK8Orlando (07-23-2013), Stuart Beattie (07-24-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 11:22 AM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by John Duffy
To Jimbov8

Maybe Gus's comment wasn't directed at me but I certainly took it that way - “I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of IDIOTS.” – Albert Einstein
Hi John,
Welcome to the forums!

I hope you find the forum easier to use since you seem to know how to start a new thread here now.

Extreme courtesy is the hallmark of this forum and has been said, the quote above is in Gus' signature and appears in all his posts.

With all due respect, you are being extended courtesy here that would be difficult to find in any other forum that I know of. Please return the favor and do the same for the other members here.
Vector

The following 2 users liked this post by Vector:
JimC64 (07-23-2013), Stuart Beattie (07-24-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 11:59 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Question Oops

Am I missing something ?
I wanted to find the normal operating temp for 2001 XJR . Logged in , entered "new posts" looked for the "new thread " box.
Its not there!
Now what .
Sharing Duffy, frustration .
Anyway my XJR is running with new coolant at 205F seems high .
Also getting low coolant warning.

THERMOSTAT perhaps!

Old 07-23-2013, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbov8

Open up any forum page you like, underneath the title box you will see a box entitled New Thread, click on it and post your question.

It really is that easy.
Graham, this is what I posted earlier. You won't see the New Thread box when looking in New Posts.

Graham Royls (07-24-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

No no no Graham (+ John)

The "New Posts" button shows all posts that have been made over the past 24hrs and could be from any section of the site.

To make your own 'New Thread' as has been mentioned.

1, Navigate to your Model section, i.e; X308/XJR
2, Hit the BIG button top left marked New Thread.

And away you go. Remember a useful title rather than just, Help won't go, will get you more attention and hits.

Enter your text and then spell check and hit submit.

The following 3 users liked this post by Translator:
Graham Royls (07-24-2013), JimC64 (07-23-2013), Stuart Beattie (07-24-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 02:34 PM
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Well now, I haven't been on here for very long really, but this forum is much the same as any other forum in my opinion.
You can ask a straight forward question and get several different and conflicting answers! The trick is to read them all (well the sensible ones) and then form your own opinions.
I have recently replaced a wheel bearing assembly on my XJ and I had a read of what other people had to say about on here and elsewhere on the interweb. As it turns out just getting in there and getting my hands dirty was the way forward and I posted my own findings on here.
Conversely the SRS flash code that I've had on my car since I got it has not, as of yet been sorted! The advice I have received on here has not been relevant. However, having talked to a couple of electricians, I now have much more of a clue as to what I need to be doing.
In other words, don't take everything you read on here as being gospel, just a possible source of useful information..

Old 07-23-2013, 02:34 PM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Graham Royls
Am I missing something ?
I wanted to find the normal operating temp for 2001 XJR . Logged in , entered "new posts" looked for the "new thread " box.
Its not there!
Now what .
Sharing Duffy, frustration .
Anyway my XJR is running with new coolant at 205F seems high .
Also getting low coolant warning.
THERMOSTAT perhaps!
Graham,
My XJR normally runs at 185 degrees.
Vector

Graham Royls (07-24-2013)
Old 07-24-2013, 02:47 AM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Try this instead

Anyone who has trouble starting a new thread shouldn't start a new thread

Attached Thumbnails Useless website-post.gif  
The following 3 users liked this post by Marsden:
GGG (07-24-2013), JimC64 (07-24-2013), XJRChad (07-24-2013)
Old 07-24-2013, 04:50 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Marsden
Anyone who has trouble starting a new thread shouldn't start a new thread
Love the animated graphic - you've got way too much time on your hands.

Graham

Stuart Beattie (07-24-2013)
Old 07-24-2013, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Hi Guys, John and Graham Royls,
I am relatively inexperienced on the forum, BUT, a little time should be taken to understand things and I am aware there is a lapse of time occasionally when it comes to finding answers due to the time difference this huge website covers.

I tend (not always to search previous threads and posts), before I ask my question, but there are stacks and volumes of information held here and I would put it to the individual posting to input a post or thread with the correct headlining, so that it attracts the person looking for the right information.

And this is not aimed at " YOU ".

For example if everyone said "Hi" the invaluable informaton stored on this website would be rather diminished to the point that no-one would find what they want.

When I log on, the 1st thing I do is to look at answers to "My Posts" then I look at " New Posts!" That way I don't miss out on new info and additions to previous posts.

I actually have the feeling that you are rather isolated where you are and that may lead you to feeling like an outsider, but you are not.
I have the greatest zeal and admiration for the Administrators here and they will go the extra mile when I have no-one to turn to, without a fistful of cash in my hand!

I would not question the integrity of this site as it's worldwide and I consider it a great privilege to not only raise my issues and seek information, but to be a part of it too!

I am not a wealthy man, but my perception and outlook is such that I have a wealth of ambition, integrity and a rather perky querky sense, taste and vision of "How I like things to be" and I like the site, indubitably, without question, I also believe if I did not have access to this site, it would be a SAD LOSS INDEED!

Thank you to the forum and the Admin people and to every like minded contributor, YOU all help to make this place special, unique and certainly irreplaceable!

I am sorry you have felt this way about the site BUT:

You may never meet the people from here, face to face, but if you've had the tremendous support, feedback and genuine free unbiased advice I have received (with gratitude!) Then you will feel like I do and want to shake their hand.

I know of a handful of good people here, I would like to meet because it's the best car forum and indeed the best source of Jaguar informative advice I am ever going to get without paying for it!

Here's to you guys! Thanks indeed!

The following 7 users liked this post by Stuart Beattie:
Doug (07-24-2013), GGG (07-24-2013), Gippsland (07-24-2013), Gus (07-24-2013), JimC64 (07-24-2013), Mikey (07-24-2013), sklimii (07-24-2013) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-24-2013, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

I know how John feels when the solution to a problem is/has been right in front of you and it's not until some-one says try that button!
With some of the information that got passed through it would appear John has led a very interesting life. From memory the Green Shower post happened while Johns wife was driving.
Alls well that ends well and I enjoy this forum and thank those responsible for it.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:24 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Ummmmmmmm! I am the bad guy that is ok now let’s just let it go!

Old 07-24-2013, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 570 Likes on 355 Posts

I luve you guysh

The following 2 users liked this post by Mkii250:
JimC64 (07-24-2013), Stuart Beattie (07-24-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 12:05 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

That's hilarious. I couldn't figure out where John came up with the "idiot" reference, but I see it now. Also, it makes total sense that someone who wants to make a new post would choose the button "New Posts!" Oh well. Something to ponder.

What I really wanted to add was I find it easier to search my question using google, with one of my keywords being "jaguarforums.com" this seems to bring up the most relevant posts, and I get most of my questions answered that way. Others have suggested this before me.

The following 2 users liked this post by Muddydog:
Mikey (07-26-2013), Stuart Beattie (07-29-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 12:40 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Muddydog
What I really wanted to add was I find it easier to search my question using google, with one of my keywords being "jaguarforums.com" this seems to bring up the most relevant posts, and I get most of my questions answered that way. Others have suggested this before me.
That's a good reminder!

Old 07-26-2013, 02:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Ah but Jay, you said it youself.

Also, it makes total sense that someone who wants to make a new post would choose the button "New Posts!" Oh well. Something to ponder.
that plural 's' implies a list i.e. existing posts whereas if it was just the singular 'New Post' I would agree that it would be expected to produce a new dialogue window.

Still the main thing is that the problem has been worked through.

Good point on Google use, although you can refine a search on the forum by using the Web and Images button.

Type your search string into the Search box and submit.
Then on the returned page hit the Web and Images button 'top left of screen', this will then produce threads more relevant to your query.

HTH

jimbov8 (07-26-2013)

Quick Reply: Useless website