Jaguar Press release latest press releases, updates, info, pics and videos

2011 xj

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010 | 02:16 PM
|
Default 2011 xj

theyre here! come on down and take a look! pure seckksss!

Old 05-31-2010 | 05:31 AM

My God, I wouldn't even dare to call that a Jaguar. Honestly, it looks like any piece of Jap trash. There aren't really any features that tie it to those classic jag designs are there? ...Like the way you can see the E-Type in the XK8, and the S3 XJ6 in the X300.

I don't like the way Jaguar's design is heading at all.

Old 06-05-2010 | 11:05 PM
Veteran Member

On the other had, Jaguars new designs are gorgeous IMHO. The new XK special edition is great, has the performance and the styling that a new coupe needs. I love the new XJ and XF, this is just my opinion though

Old 06-06-2010 | 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
On the other had, Jaguars new designs are gorgeous IMHO. The new XK special edition is great, has the performance and the styling that a new coupe needs. I love the new XJ and XF, this is just my opinion though
I guess you're right; it's all just a matter of personal taste, although I don't see how someone with an XK8 and an X-Type (two cars heavily influenced by classic Jaguar designs) can find these new cars attractive...

I wouldn't call myself a fanatic Jaguar traditionalist - I liked both the XJS and XJ40 - but this new XJ doesn't have any of that classy British atmosphere about it at all... if anything, it looks more like some modern attempt at American muscle.

... In my opinion

Old 06-06-2010 | 04:05 PM
Veteran Member

Well I guess you could say that I appreciate the classic as well as modern car designs

Old 06-27-2010 | 09:28 PM
Veteran Member

I really like the 2010 Xk because it looks a bit more finished as opposed to the 07-09 models, and still, I'm not a big fan because it just looks too much like a fat DB9, but the 2010 just has a more refined look in the front bumper.

Well, with that said, the 2011 Xj doesn't look ANYTHING like a past Jaguar. I'm much less a fan of the new interior, but I'll let it slide because at some point I'll have to get used to the computerized controls. Now, the exterior looks nice, like a more refined Xf. I've STILL yet to see it in person. I just cannot think of a good enough excuse to drive to the Jag dealership. Anyway, it's got great lines, and looks daunting but it just doesn't look enough like a Jaguar. Yeah, the X358's looked off with their bumpers, and the X350's and the bigger/smaller headlamps (of course, the X350 still looks good, don't get me wrong). For the 2011 or X351, they seemed to have thrown out everything that Jaguar had once done has been thrown out.

Old 06-29-2010 | 02:28 PM
Veteran Member

The problem for Jaguar as a salesman at the local dealer explained to me is that the buyers of new Jaguars who like the "traditional" style are literally dying off. The youngsters want something more modern looking. We should remember that the XJ style up to 2009 started in 1967, and had similarities to the Mark 10 and 420 saloon of the early 60s. The S-Type saloon is an imitation Mark 2 of the 60s, and the X-type also uses the XJ styling cues.

If the world moves on, Jaguar must move with it or cease selling cars.

Having seen the new XJ in the flesh, so to speak, I can say I would very much like to drive one, but it would have to be secondhand, as my trouble is I have First Class taste, but an Economy Class income !!
Maybe I'll look around in 2016.

Old 06-29-2010 | 03:55 PM
Veteran Member

I can understand that "youngersters want something more modern looking", but I'm 19 and I wouldn't want a Jag that isn't in the X300/308 body style. Now, if we were talking Aston Martin...

Old 06-30-2010 | 05:02 PM

I LOVE the new xj, it is beautiful and the interior is awesome. Go see it in person. Pure sex on wheels!

Old 07-16-2010 | 08:53 PM

There is a reason why the 2011 XJ is getting a lot of press for its breakthrough design...people love it. Granted...it is not for everyone, same reason why they make more than one flavor of ice cream. But if you like ben & jerrys "neapolitan dynamite", you are going to like the new XJ...I know I do...thats why I bought one....

Old 07-18-2010 | 07:17 PM

Oubahah or whoever, I respect your personal opinion and your right to have it. Diversity in tastes is essential to a good world. Each to their own. For me the car is a dreamboat!!! A real beauty that turns heads every place I go. I bought one and soon will have number 2 in the garage! I think Jag is going in EXACTLY the right direction. Go JAG!

Old 07-18-2010 | 07:28 PM

on the XJ the front is very low and has sensors. Does anyone know if the sensors will pick up a normal curb or those concrete things like you see in the parking lots??

Old 07-19-2010 | 06:54 AM

My experience with our XJ so far Viper is NO...even though the beam dispersal pattern from the sensors may be fairly wide, the "average" concrete parking blocks do not seem to show up on the display, which is not a good thing. The bottom of the front end would probably drag on any concrete barrier if you drove the nose of the car over one. However, the back end misses them (at least the exhaust outlets are high enough.

Old 07-19-2010 | 06:30 PM
Default New XJ

So, I went to my local Jag dealership the other day and got my first up-close look at it. In black, it looks very, very good, but only in black. It has presence. The interior, is, I must say, phenomenal. The quality is there, the leather is superb, there still is plenty of wood. It 'feels' rich. Inside all of the seat pockets and door sill storage is suede. I am very impressed. I've yet to drive it, but apparently its very good. Personally, I love the older Jag bodystyles, but I am impressed with this one, and its what they needed to do as a brand. Its just the way it is. They had to drastically change and modernize their product and it looks like they've done a truly fantastic job! I'm happy for Jag and I wish them all the best.
Long Live Jaguar!

Old 07-21-2010 | 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by viperz06
I LOVE the new xj, it is beautiful and the interior is awesome. Go see it in person. Pure sex on wheels!
+1 gotta see it in person.

Old 08-02-2010 | 10:54 PM

I guess I'm a young pup by Jag standards (37). I had my first Jag at age 15, a beat-to-heck 1976 XJ12L that my dad and I pulled out of some guy's yard and never did get right. But I loved that old boat, and especially the styling.

I knew the day would come when Jaguar would have to go in a different direction. The real issue here is, who are you designing for? Are you designing for your ardent fans, or are you trying to attract people who've never owned Jaguar before (and that can mean 60-ish folks as well as 30-ish)?

I am soon to be taking delivery of a 2003 S-Type, which is about as retro as you can get. There's an 88 XJ40 in my yard and my wife drives a 99 XJ. So I'd say we've got the older stuff covered.

But this past weekend, I got a chance to sit in a new XF. It didn't feel or look like a Jaguar. But it was a helluva car. And after spending a few minutes in it, I could tell why people who haven't owned a Jag before might be inclined to like it.

It's all about widening our (Jaguar's) reach with the audience at this point, and surviving in a time when a lot of car companies aren't. I know Pontiac, Plymouth and Mercury are technically "beneath" Jaguar, but you can't argue that they're irrelevant. Pontiac was building some very good cars and had more good ones in the hopper when they went under. I think priority one here is for Jaguar to keep building cars, no matter if they look like Series I XJs or if they resemble the current XF.

My wife and I will probably trade in her 99 in the next couple of years, and when we do, we're likely going to target an XF. Why? It's a Jaguar, of course. There aren't many cars out there that you can literally feel the car around you. These cars have their own aura. I disagree with the poster who said the new XJ doesn't have a "presence." I think they do; it just looks a little different than that to which we're accustomed.

To break out a uniquely Southern U.S. saying here: "Lord willing and the creek don't rise," I'll be driving Jaguars for the rest of my life. Perhaps these new cars will spawn the same kind of loyalty among people who weren't around to see those old Jags. After all, if you're going to buy for nostalgia's sake, you typically have to have some kind of reference point for what was in the past. Most 20- and 30-somethings today don't have those experiences from which to draw.

Jess

Old 08-13-2010 | 06:03 PM
Banned

Gorgeous car.

Old 08-30-2010 | 01:50 PM

Good analysis by JessN16. I agree, at what point in Jaguars history do we lock in "the look". I thought the older look was quite nice as is the next and the next and the next. Jaguar has always had the look that makes it a true "keeper" and the new XF and XJ are certainly in that category. Even the ride has evolved and I find it truly invigorating.

Old 09-03-2010 | 01:27 PM
pwl

Yes, it's a beautiful car, when it's working. Had mine since early June, and nothing but serious electrical issues, some of which were fixed and failed again. The service person just explained it as "Welcome to Jaguar".

Old 09-03-2010 | 02:27 PM
Veteran Member

REALLY? I must say, I'm quite surprised by that. I suppose you got one of the 'bad' ones. I hope everything gets/is sorted. Well, with all of that technology loaded into the car, I didn't think it would age well, but I would expect it to last a bit longer than a few months.

Quick Reply: 2011 xj