Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,006 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Default Jaguar Invite

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  19.3 KB

Hmm - got a very nice invite from Jaguar to attend a media drive event in Glasgow
I can't attend on Thursday but may be able to make it Friday and will check shortly. In the event that I cannot make it I will consider any member who is close enough to take advantage of this.
Anyhow, either way, a camera is a MUST

Dear Jim
Further to our earlier conversation, this is to confirm a few details about our proposed media drive event next Thursday and Friday at Mar Hall http://www.marhall.com/. I understand you already have another commitment on Thursday, but if you can find time to attend - or nominate a colleague from
jaguarforums.com to attend either day, that would be most helpful. Thank you.

We will have a number of Jaguar vehicles available for driving from 12:00 noon on Thursday and until 15:00hrs on Friday. It's a very informal programme - no set road route - so just come and go as you please. Nick O'Donnell and Faye Goldstraw from the Jaguar UK Press Office will be hosting the event and allocating vehicles.

I don't know where you are based, but if you require hotel accommodation on Thursday evening, please just let us know and we will arrange it for you.

Many thanks again, Jim, and my apologies for disturbing you in your jet-lagged condition!! Please get back to me when you can - and have a lovely (restful!) weekend!

Best wishes

Old 08-21-2010, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member

Views: 36

Did a bit more digging and found as follows.....to hell with work, I'll be there

Hi

I am planning to bring a selection of all of our latest press cars up to Scotland at the end of August so you can catch up on and drive our latest XK and XF models, as well as the new XJ.

Cars will be available to drive at the Mar Hall Hotel near Glasgow on the afternoon of Thursday 26th and all day on Friday 27th August.

The fleet will include:

XK 5.0 n/a coupe

XKR 5.0 Supercharged coupe with Speed and Black Pack

XFR 5.0 Supercharged saloon

XF 3.0 Diesel 500nm saloon

XF 3.0 Diesel S saloon with adaptive dynamics and XF Diesel S without adaptive dynamics

XJ SWB and LWB saloons with 3.0 diesel and 5.0 Supercharged petrol engines.

If you would like to join us on either of these days then please let me know.

Regards

Nick

Old 08-28-2010, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 44

Well, Friday was an absolute blast and Kudos to Jaguar for looking after me the way they did.
The setting couldn't have been better, Mar hall lies in picturesque surroundings to say the least and the sun came out around 9.30 am for what was to be a beautiful day.
There were around 12 cars to choose from including the XKR 5.0 supercharged V8 Coupe AND convertible, the XF in various formats including the XFR / XFS and 3.0D in different spec levels as well as The XJ in 3 or 4 different specs including ther LWB version.
I managed to fit in the XKR 5.0 supercharged V8 Couoe AND the convertible as well as the XF3.0D in premium spec.

Upon arrival. I'd just driven 240 miles from Liverpool and had left at 4.15am to make sure I'd miss Glasgows rush hour and get there in plenty of time. I arrived around 7.30 am and the dew was still hanging on the cars but, to hell with it, I wanted to take some shots as I didn't know how much chance I'd get later. Anyhow, here's the cars in all their glory, all pretty much brand new, lookin good and raring to go!
Name:  101.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  83.6 KB
Name:  103.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  94.4 KB
Name:  107.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  95.6 KB
Name:  108.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  73.8 KB

XKR Convertible 5.0 Supercharged V8
Name:  111.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  77.8 KB
Name:  129.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  71.3 KB
Name:  115.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  95.3 KB
Name:  Photo0374.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  69.4 KB
Name:  Photo0373.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  70.5 KB

XKR Coupe 5.0 Supercharged V8
Name:  131.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  83.0 KB
Name:  132.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  70.4 KB
Name:  133.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  76.7 KB
Name:  134.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  72.0 KB

XF 3.0D premium
Name:  117.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  96.9 KB
Name:  120.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  77.8 KB
Name:  123.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  86.3 KB

I don't really know where to start almost, as ALL the cars looked amazing in the flesh and every one has their own special appeal.

I started out with the XKR Coupe, lovely in deep red with black alloys and red calipers, god it looked mean, and mean it was. Heads seemed to turn wherever I went, passers by stopped n stared and almost every motorist looked on in envy!
The specs were lived up to and 0-60 in 4.6 secs came and went very quickly. At one point I was on the motorway doing 70 and floored it, just a few seconds later 140 seemed to show on the dash....breath taking performance, no other way to describe it
The seats just hugged you in every way with your rear seemingly dragging on the ground you were soo low, so many instruments, knobs and buttons to get used to and so little time.
One thing that was new to me was the adaptive cruise control...great feature...set it to say 70mph and if a car dropped in front of you too close the car slowed down, if the car in front moved off the car automatically resumed its set speed...wow!
The brakes stopped the car just as quick as the powerhouse of an engine got it up to speed.
As I explained on the day, its so hard to REALLY get to grips with all the features of the car and explain them in detail over the course of a few hours as all you really want to do is appareciate what it does best, and thats drive and bask in the awesome power available to you under your right foot and thats exactly what I did!
All I need to do now is find a spare £72k and I can have one of my own, and I would, in a heartbeat!

The convertible was every bit as good but with the top down ( and as the sun had come out ) down it was. All the same features but the best one?
With the top down, the gorgeous sound of the exhaust filled my ears and sent shivers / tingles down my spine from the first to the last minute of the experience. The sound system was switched OFF from the first as there was only one sound I wanted to hear!

The XF 3.0D premium looked great too.....I've admired it ever since it first came out and it didn't disappoint inside either, with beautiful trimmings , fab features and a great auto box with a sports mode on a deisel?
It was no slouch for such a big car and had impeccable road manners.....loved it!!!
Its more than likely one I'll be aiming for at some point in the future.

Nick kindly furnished me with Jaguar press packs for each of the cars with specs and pictures, which I will try to upload as soon as possible for those that are interested. There may be some more pics coming form the official Jaguar photographer which will be of better quality and obviously I'll post those too.

Thanks to Jaguar for such a great day and being one of the few people allowed to enjoy these cars in such a way.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

It looks like you had a great day, you lucky so-and-so

And the Clio's got in on the act too! (bet the neigbour's curtains were a twitching)

Thanks for taking the time to post the write up, pics, videos and Jaguar releases in the various forums.

Good to see some involvement from Jaguar as well.

Much appreciated.

Old 08-29-2010, 04:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Thank you for everything
I am verily to happy for you , it was good to see you enjoyed yourself . The blue XJ and you were a perfect combo

Old 08-29-2010, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member

Views: 37

Thanks guys, and yes I know just how lucky I was and certainly appreciated the invite. As I said, Jaguar could do no more on the day for myself / journalists etc that were invited along.
Fantastic to be able to feel/drive the cars although it was difficult to fully appreciate them in a few hours, I would really need at least a week or two living with them to really get into ALL the features and driving them in daily life

All official Jaguar technical specifications / press releases and info realeasd into the relevant XK / XF /XJ sectons.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,349 Likes on 2,846 Posts

Very nice report with wonderful photos. Wish I had such an opportunity as well. Kudos to Jaguar for giving you the royal treatment for a day....

Old 09-02-2010, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Hi Jim,

Great report and photos! The XKR Coupe looks like the Speed and Black Pack car. If so, you guys across the Pond get all the good stuff. Looking forward to more of your reports.

Mike

Last edited by carelm; 09-02-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

Views: 32

You're so right Mike, well spotted.
The Coupe with the speed/black pack and 174mph
Check out the sights n sounds section for a few vids!