XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Couple of '02 XJR Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 01:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Couple of '02 XJR Issues

Hey folks,

Just signed up a few mins ago and did the new member welcome. I just picked up my 3rd Jag, a 2002 XJR and it needs a few minor bits of attention. Just wondering if anyone might be able to lend a bit of expertise and experience. Here's what I'm working with:

1.) Brakes - It needs new pads and probably the rotors turned. I've changed quite a few pads in my life so I'm not too concerned with this, but thought I'd ask if I might run into any surprises. Weird tools needed? Sensors? Just like a heads up before I get the wheel off and realize I need to crazy tool to get the calipers off. I can't imagine so though...

2.) The tweeters in the A-Pillar and the subwoofer don't work...at all. I haven't removed the covers yet, but thought maybe the previous owner disconnected them if they blew. I can't imagine so though. I'm almost wondering if it might be a problem with the amp (which I haven't located yet). I can barely hear the speakers in the front door panel so basically all the sound is coming from the back doors and is very annoying.

3) The trip computer doesn't adjust from the turn signal stalk. This is only minor, but still kind of annoying. I can get the total mileage and trip mileage from the little circle buttons on the dash, but can't get to MPG or range or anything else.

4.) The only other minor thing is the sunroof doesn't open all the way. It opens to the place where it first stops, but then won't go any further. Not a big deal, but if it's a known issue, I'd love to fix it now summer's here.

Again, I just signed up to the forum and haven't had a chance to search a bunch of threads yet, so I apologize if all these issues have already been covered. Once I get home, I'll be going through many threads.

Thanks!
Jon

Old 05-31-2011, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

. . . well . . . welcome to the forum!

The brakes I can comment on. While working under there it wouldn't hurt to clean the ABS sensors. No special tools but there are a couple different pads/rotors you need to know about. The biggest issue is usually the hub and wheel have corroded together so it is difficult to separate. Loosen the lug nuts a couple turns and rock/roll the car until they break loose.

The best of the subject threads are found in the FAQ Sticky at the top of the XK8/R forum alphabetically.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:10 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

The brakes are pretty normal, I don't know about the tweeters but the subwoofer is a pain to replace, you have to take out the entire rear seat and the parcel shelf, I've done it once and don't hope to do it again!

good luck, you have a great car and one of the most trouble-free years

Old 05-31-2011, 05:38 PM

Yes, I've been reading up on it and it seems a pain to replace that subwoofer. I take it there's no way to remove that rear shelf without removing the seat? I'll have to take a look because I have no clue how to remove that rear seat just yet.

The strange thing is the tweeters and the sub are not working at all. It's not as if they're working, but blown. It almost seems like they're not getting power. From what I've been reading, the tweeters and the sub are connected to the amp differently from the regular door speakers. I don't know much about amps, but maybe a bad crossover or a bad channel or something? I'm going to stop by a stereo shop on the way home and see if they can at least point me in the right direction.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,621 Likes on 874 Posts
Default A Pillar and Sub-Woofer Speakers R&I

Welcome to this Sub-forum
I extracted the sections on the A-Pillar and Sub-Woofer Speakers from my copy of the JTIS21 Repair Manual.
Here is the PDF file I created from the extracts:

98-02 xj pillar & Subwoofer Speaker R&I.pdf

I hope this helps

Jim Lombardi

Old 06-01-2011, 10:54 AM

That's a great writeup. Thanks!

Old 06-02-2011, 03:07 PM

Ok so after a couple of days with the car I've finally figured a few things out...almost...

1.) I'm not sure if the brakes are bad or not. With the wheels on, I can still see plenty of pad left. I'll have to take the wheels off to take a really good look, but it almost feels like it makes a grinding noise when coming to a stop even if I release the brakes at the last minute. Not sure if it might be a wheel bearing of something else. Going to take a look on Saturday.

2) The trip computer not adjusting. From what I'm reading, I might need a new stalk. Not looking forward to removing the airbag and steering wheel, but it's not an urgent thing...just an annoyance.

3) Here's where I'm concerned: CATS suspension. This car is soft, TOO soft. I've been reading on the forum and seem to be reading different stories. Can someone confirm: Does the Sport button change the firmness of the suspension or is it completely depending on the way the car is driven. I would think a little bit of both. On the freeway, this thing is kind of sloppy. Sport or Normal. I have no warning lights though. I'm going to hook my computer up to it tonight and see if it spits out any error codes, but does anyone have any ideas? I can't imagine all 4 CATS shocks would be bad and I can't seem to find them online even if they all are bad. When I went through the manual, I noticed a fuse for the CATS system, but if the fuse had blown, I would think it would trip a warning code.

Any ideas?

Thanks