XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Jaguar XJ8 info

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 10:18 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Jaguar XJ8 info

Hello:
My name is Wayne and I am a new member to this Forum.
I am in the process of looking to purchase a used vehicle. I have been looking at Nissans and Toyotas and want to spend up to $10,000.
While doing my research I keep coming across quite a few Jags XJ8 late model cars. The Jaguar XJ8 is my favorite Jag so I am I’m intrigued by them and kind of surprised that these vehicles are prices this low (I would have expected them to be asking more money) From the photos they look nice – obviously they can look much different in real life.
Without putting anyone out and without putting too much time into this, I would like to ask – Is a 1998-2002 Jag XJ8 a good car? Are they new known to have major problems? What is a better choice of motors - I will sacrifice power to conserve fuel – even though that might not be the smarter buy. Also, and this is important to me and its why I have been looking at Nissans and Toyotas are these cars a maintenance nightmare as far as finding and replacing parts and being a luxury car are the extremely expensive to maintain?
I have been looking for technical info online and thus far have not found any good info out there. I’m also interested in the fuel burn – around town and highway with the different engine options.
Any guidance and assistance with be very much appreciated.
Regards,
Wayne.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:01 AM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

1st, regarding maintenance and repair, the XJ is going to be more expensive... unfortunately, due to way lower production numbers and the fact that it is a complex luxury car, things can get expensive. However, they can be extremely reliable - with the caveat that a small issue (like a dirty wheel speed sensor) can wreak havoc with the computer systems and, at times, be difficult to diagnose.

The later XJ's are the better choice - most 'bugs' were worked out by '02. The XJR, although higher power, has a more reliable transmission, and so might be a better choice from this standpoint.

Resale value is quite low on these cars, primarily because of the cost of repair and the concern that, on cars of this age, major repairs may be imminent. However, a well maintained XJ can last beyond 200k miles without significant issue, assuming several known problems have been taken care of - the plastic upper timing chain tensioners tend to fail (often at as low as 80k miles) but the replacement metal part is bullet proof. The water pump impeller was plastic and failed regularly also, but replacements are greatly improved. Tranny in the XJ8 (not XJR) commonly failed between 80k and 100k miles.

If searching for an XJ, if you can find one with good documentation and proof of replacement of the tensioners, water pump, etc., you may expect many miles without major mechanical malfunction.

The XJ8 can get up to 25-26 mpg on the highway and 20 or so around town. My average mileage sticks right around 22-23 mpg.

Hope this answers at least some of your questions.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by QuadManiac
Welcome to the forum!

1st, regarding maintenance and repair, the XJ is going to be more expensive... unfortunately, due to way lower production numbers and the fact that it is a complex luxury car, things can get expensive. However, they can be extremely reliable - with the caveat that a small issue (like a dirty wheel speed sensor) can wreak havoc with the computer systems and, at times, be difficult to diagnose.

The later XJ's are the better choice - most 'bugs' were worked out by '02. The XJR, although higher power, has a more reliable transmission, and so might be a better choice from this standpoint.

Resale value is quite low on these cars, primarily because of the cost of repair and the concern that, on cars of this age, major repairs may be imminent. However, a well maintained XJ can last beyond 200k miles without significant issue, assuming several known problems have been taken care of - the plastic upper timing chain tensioners tend to fail (often at as low as 80k miles) but the replacement metal part is bullet proof. The water pump impeller was plastic and failed regularly also, but replacements are greatly improved. Tranny in the XJ8 (not XJR) commonly failed between 80k and 100k miles.

If searching for an XJ, if you can find one with good documentation and proof of replacement of the tensioners, water pump, etc., you may expect many miles without major mechanical malfunction.

The XJ8 can get up to 25-26 mpg on the highway and 20 or so around town. My average mileage sticks right around 22-23 mpg.

Hope this answers at least some of your questions.
Thank you very much, great info. It sounds like if you’re not buying from an original owner with full maintenance records for the vehicle you could be buying a problem?
I have noticed since I posted the info that there are a few XJ models. As far a reliable family cruiser in the 2000 - 2002 years in the XJ series model what series would you recommend and what year?
Thank you,
Wayne.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

As QuadMatic said, the later the better. Look at the FAQ sticky at the top of the XK8/R forum for more information than you ever imagined. The drive platform for the XK8/R is the same as the XJ8/R. There is also a free down load of the Jaguar Technical Information System there. That is the complete factory service manual for these cars. There were a few chronic issues that were eliminated slowly over the years so that by '02 they were pretty reliable cars.

Even an '02 MY is now effectively 10 years old. Parts for these cars are going to be more expensive than a high volume Nissan or Toyota but you will not find better support from any forum than right here. And any other car is not going to be a Jaguar.

. . . and welcome to the forum!

Old 08-05-2011, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,621 Likes on 874 Posts

Hello and welcome to the forum
Look at the sticky thread Summary of Major Repair and Safety Issues - posting# 20 it has this weblink to the PDF file - XJ8 Summary AT-a-Glance:

XJ8_Summary_At-a-Glance test .pdf

This PDF has summary information with links to articles and forum threads/posts that give the details of issues and solutions.

The JTIS21 (Jaguar Technical and Information System) Shop Repair Manual download is posted in the sticky FAQ thread (XJ model years 1995 thru 1997 and XJ8 model years 1998 thru and including 2004) Also has XK, S-Type and X-Type models in the manual:
Here is the weblink to JTIS21 download (free download):

Update 5/2/2013 - I removed the link to the JTIS21 Archive files on mediafire.com website - the website is now charging a download fee for each download.
the following remarks from other threads on the forum:
when trying to download the second file (JTIS 21 CD.part2.rar) from Mediafire, I get the follwing message:
"The file you attempted to download is an archive that is part of a set of archives. MediaFire does not support unlimited downloads of split archives and the limit for this file has been reached. MediaFire understands the need for users to transfer very large or split archives, up to 10GB per file, and we offer this service starting at $1.50 per month.
We have informed the owner that sharing of this file has been limited and how they can resolve this issue."
Is there a way around the "Split Archives" membership fees?

I put the JTIS archive files up on my dropbox account. I have had no problems with the downloads on the dropbox.com site.

When the dropbox webpage opens, just click on the download button and use the run option on the popup.

Here are the weblinks to the all models (JTIS21) archives files.

Part1.exe is 190 mb (195313 kb)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fvdg6rsl63...CD.part1.exe?m

Part2.rar is 190 mb (195313 kb)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bwx4uch8m9...CD.part2.rar?m

Part3.rar is 58.9 mb (60318 kb)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xk49mq38ch...CD.part3.rar?m

JTIS21 software is compatible with 32 bit windows operating system (WinXP, Vista, Win7 32 bit).

If you have 64 bit windows operating system such as Win7 Professinonal or Win7 Ultimate, then you can download microsoft XP mode and Virual PC to install and run 32 bit software.

If you have Win7 Home Premium, then you will need to upgrade to Win7 Professional or Win7 Ultimate before you can download XP mode & Virtual PC.

Here is the Vehicle Care Handbook PDF file download:

2000 XJ VehicleCare Handbook.pdf

Here is the 2000 XJ8 Drivers Handbook PDF:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a..._handbook1-pdf

The last bit of advice is in the Xj8/XJR FAQ quick links - There is a lot of information in the FAQ and as such it takes a lot of time to find the information you might want.

I have found that after I accessed the FAQ thread I can use the Internet Explorer find function (it is one of the menu items in the edit menu). Example: I know there is a great checklist for buying a preowned XJ in the FAQ thread. I used the search term - checklist in the IE find box and it gave me 2 matches. The 1st occurance brought me right to the information that I wanted.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 05-02-2013 at 03:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Robert Grisar (07-09-2018)
Old 08-06-2011, 04:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

I believe you will be satisfied with your choice , this is a friendly forum and our friends' replies prove that once again

Old 08-06-2011, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

All luxury cars suffer high depreciation rates -- if you look at the big BMW's and MB's they have a similar cost when 10 years old. The Jags tend to be a couple of thousand less -- as they still suffer from those remembering the pre Ford problems.

You need to get a prospective car inspected by someone who knows about the car ...........as with any luxury car -- the most expensive one's are the cheap ones. Get one in great shape needing nothing - it will only cost a little more and will reward you with trouble free miles. Buying from the original owner is normally the best as you don't have to worry about second and sometimes third owners delaying maintenance or trying to do things on the cheap.

The later XJR's are great cars -- unfortunately they like gas -- as do the xj8's to a slightly less degree.

The cost to maintain a Jaguar will be more that any of the Japanese cars -- but similar to any of the German makes. Old luxury car are best owned by someone who can use a wrench as having them fixed by a competent mechanic will get expensive.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

I just want to say thanks. jimlombardi really cranks out the info. This is a great forum !

Old 08-07-2011, 09:30 AM

I would like to thank everyone for the very valuable, informative information. I have some studying to do
Cheers.

Last edited by Cadillac; 08-08-2011 at 03:29 AM. Reason: No commercial link is allowed
Old 09-04-2011, 12:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wayne,
I'm new to the forum also and have had my 2001 XJ8 VDP for the last 6 yrs. It's been a great car. However, like others have said, in addition to a good inspection, knowing what mx has been done is pretty important. Mine VDP is just over 80K miles and it's had the water pump replaced @ 65K, tires @70K and most recently the left rear hub assembly at 79K miles. Oil changed every 5K miles and I get 18mpg city & 24 hwy using 93oct.

On average, I've spent about $500 a yr on mx. I wouldn't trade it and most folks still think looks like an $80K car.

Terry

Old 09-04-2011, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Tanalyst
I noticed that you did not mention the secondary timing tensioners. Probably the most important repair issue on the XJ & XK models years 98-01. Also the transmission forward disk failures on the non-supercharged models (ZF transmission).

We had both of these major items fail with two months of each other at just under 91000 and 92000 miles on the odometer.

Do not depend on your Jaguar dealership service department to give any any warning about these issues.

We had our 01 XJ8 serviced at Jaguar up to time of these mechanical failures. I even asked the service advisors many times over the years about the timing chains maintenace. I change the timing belt on our Acura Legend every 3 years. They sort of said if there is a problem we would hear a noise at startup. Like this was no big deal. When ours failed (in traffic on a major highway at 65 mph), there were the no noise at startup. The driver side of the engine stopped running. It was like someone was slowly putting on the brakes.

After the failure, I found articles on the internet sites (including this forum) that this a known big deal (possible engine major repair or replacement) especially if you are paying Jaguar Service at over $110 per hour.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 09-04-2011 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:17 AM
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

Another thing to appreciate is that many of these cars have been lease turn-ins. These often get auctioned to a "bottom feeder" dealer, and then to a second buyer, who may or may not have taken care of it, and so now ~ 10 years out, a lot of these cars are looking at their third actual owner.

My XJ8 went that route, and I had to repair damage to the shifter. I have heard that this often results from heavy-handed activity at the wholesale auction. (Can't get it out of Park with a dead battery? Yank harder!)

Anyway, to own one of these cars you need to be handy or have a fair bit of money. They are not bulletproof daily drivers like Toyotas.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:09 AM

Jim,

You're most observant. After reading the threads, I'm planning to make an appt to get the tensioners done and then the A'drum, both as preventive mx. Thanks, Terry

Old 09-07-2011, 05:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wayne, welcome! I bought my 03 XJ8 for just under $8k w/80k on the clock and did the ABS module re-solder myself. Also just completed the aluminum thermostat/water outlet tower upgrade, due to seepage, myself. I did all of this using information gleaned from this forum (including the free download of the factory service manual). You will not find a better source of info or a better bunch of people waiting to help with any problems you may encounter. As far as reliability and maintenance go, I've owned and driven Jaguars for a number of years now and the best advice I can give is to quote the old Fram commercial..."ya can pay me now or pay me later"! Regular maintenance keeps Jaguars (or any other car for that matter) as inexpensive to own as possible and, believe me, I'm a working tight-a$$ just like most other folks I know, so if it cost a fortune just to maintain and do simple repairs on these cars, I would not have owned so many of them over the years! Happy motoring.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:32 PM
Default shop manuel

I followed the link to the shop manual and found no files. Am I missingsomething? I am looking for a shop manual for my 98 XJ8

Old 05-02-2013, 03:06 PM

Dear all ,
i need a help , I have XJ8 2004, and what i found is that when I switch on the AC button, the blow from the blower goes off after sometime,The possible causes could be that the blower has gone off or the the regulator which regulates the blow of the air has gone off. if the blower had gone off then the blower would not come ON for even for few minutes , Please suggest or advise to fix the problem. Also want to know where can i buy parts cheaper than the showroom.it could be even on line . Thank you

Old 05-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member

Brian
Mediafire.com started charging a download fee on the JTIS21 archive file downloads.

I put the JTIS archive files up on my dropbox.com account. I have had no problems with the downloads on the dropbox.com site.

When the dropbox webpage opens, just click on the download button and use the run option on the popup.

Here are the weblinks to the all models (JTIS21) archives files. I recommend using Google Chrome internet browser or Firefox (too many problems with Internet Explorer).

Part1.exe is 190 mb (195313 kb)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fvdg6rsl63...CD.part1.exe?m

Part2.rar is 190 mb (195313 kb)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bwx4uch8m9...CD.part2.rar?m

Part3.rar is 58.9 mb (60318 kb)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xk49mq38ch...CD.part3.rar?m

I updated post5 - I deleted the weblink to the mediafire.com and replaced it with the dropbox.com weblinks.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 05-02-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 866 Likes on 714 Posts

I just bought an old one 2001 XJ8 L with 63,000 mile.

Car Was absolutely cherry but some minor mechanical issues that need to be corrected to guarantee I'm not dead on the road. All of these mined from this forum

These critical
Wheel balance $90 Checkered flag dealer
replace timing chain tensioner's. - abicus racing $1300 (did it myself, $149 - 4 hours)
Water pump, thermostat, hoses $190 parts from Advance Auto Parts
Needed new tensioner, 15mm sheared off putting belt on $112 dealer; new belt, $ 92 dealer
Front shock mount bushings $90 + s& h MotorPart Ltd instrctions this forum (they decayed)

These less so
Front Bilstein shocks $180 bilstein.com 1 1/2 hours
Sway bar bushings -$15 1 1/2 hours
Rear shock mount bushings $40. Motorpartsltd.com
Rear Bilstein shocks $200 bilstein.com
Front brake pads $50 Wagner gold advance auto parts - 2 hours
Wheel alignment -Sears $69
Denso Iridium plugs - $80 Advance Auto Parts
Doing the work myself: some findings: Jaguar parts from the dealer are absolutely outrageously priced; Prices on the web vary as much as 300%; My dealer here in Virginia Beach is abslutely reliable but Ungodly expensive.

If you can't do the work yourself you must go to the local forum to find somebody local to help.

Last edited by Jhartz; 05-20-2013 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Correct the record
Old 05-03-2013, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 866 Likes on 714 Posts

Let me correct my last post: shocks are from Allshocks.com, front and rear Bilstein comforts $374.40 included shipping and handling.