XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What should I price my '99 VDP S/C?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 03:05 PM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Question What should I price my '99 VDP S/C?

The engine has an exhaust leak into the cooling system. My mechanic says that it needs a head gasket for many thousands of dollars, and it might cost more after they get it apart. I would put a remanufactured engine in it at $7K before I do surgery on the current engine.

The water pump and thermostat have been replaced, and the timing chains have been done. I installed a new center console soon after I bought it. It has new tires and two extra wheels (one extra wheel with small dent).

It is in decent condition inside and out, although it still has a few flaws. The brake light warning comes on, even though all bulbs are fine, the Washer fluid pump needs replacing, and the clips on the driver's side master control are broken. The sunroof does not open, although the motor turns.

What do you think it is worth?
KBB-Fair 1999 VDP-$5K
KBB-Fair 2000 VDP S/C-$9K

They don't list Poor or parts cars. And like most people don't acknowlege that there were 1999 VDP S/C's...

Edmunds has an option for Supercharged engine (only $173 adjustment-seems low) in rough condition they say it is worth $2900, which is more what I expected KBB seems high. Edmunds doesn't give price on parts or damaged cars either.

Last edited by Blackbeard; 05-24-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:49 PM
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

A few pics might be helpful

Old 05-24-2011, 09:34 PM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

The edmunds site values are so much lower than everyone elses. That's probably why the insurance companies use it when they calculate the value of the car. I am hoping to get $6500 or so for my regular 99 VDP with Emerald Green paint, but I will take $5500 or so.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:41 PM
Cool Well...

Originally Posted by Donzi
A few pics might be helpful
This is the picture from when I bought it a couple years ago...it looks pretty similar, I forgot I also replaced the front bumper and undertray.

It has tree pollen on it now, but should clean up fine...

Old 05-25-2011, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 417 Likes on 308 Posts

How many miles on the car ? I didn't see it listed. If I were you, and if you had a place to work on it, I would replace the head gaskets and keep it. A '99 VDP supercharged sounds pretty nice. You see very few supercharged VDPs period. Dropping another engine in could get awfully complicated. I wish I had seen that sucker a couple of years ago before I found my regular VDP.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:43 PM
Cool It has around...

130K miles on it.

I definitely don't want to fix it myself, and the only shade tree mechanic I found would charge several thousand dollars also and while they would warranty it, it would be a pain to enforce the warranty on a private individual.

The lowest shop estimate I received was $4k, and that is only if they didn't find anything wrong with it when they took it apart (valves, warped head, etc)

The lowest estimate I received with a remanufactured engine (new water pump, thermostat, timing chains, everything new-0 miles, 2 year warranty!) was $7K.

I already purchased another car and it is sitting in my yard, I am still making payments on the VDP-SC, and have to carry full insurance coverage on it. I increased my payments to pay it off sooner and at least drop the insurance to liability only.

I am hoping there is someone who has a wrecked car with a good engine, or a Jaguar mechanic interested in fixing the engine and selling the car at a profit.

Financially I don't have to sell the car, but it will be a while before I can put $7K into it.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:05 AM
Question So...

Does anyone have an estimate for the price of my parts car/mechanic's special?

$1K / $2K / $3K ?

Old 05-27-2011, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 417 Likes on 308 Posts

That's a tough one. I don't think there are many people who would want to touch it. You may be able to find a place you can donate it to. I did that with my last Jag. Even though it was a great car, it was 20+ years old and high mileage and I did not want to be insulted by buyer's offers (since I loved the car) so I donated it to charity. Of course be sure to get all the proper records so you can write it off your taxes. Unless you can find a mechanic or someone who is willing to work on it - but it could get tedious looking for a buyer.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Stick it on eBay? I've sold two XJR's without engines in the last 6 months, they find their level at auction.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:41 AM
Cool Sounds like the plan...

Originally Posted by Sean B
Stick it on eBay? I've sold two XJR's without engines in the last 6 months, they find their level at auction.
What did you get for yours?

The reason I want a ballpark number is to see whether it is even worth it since I still owe money on it, or whether I need to knock the amount I owe even lower before listing it.

I knew I was upside down on it when the engine went out...but now I think I have the balance below the value of the car...but I wanted someone else to help me verify that, before I pay someone to clean it, take pictures, then sell the car for less than what I owe and pay even more money to get rid of it.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:17 AM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

If the car was cheap enough, you could use the car for an engine swap.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:04 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think you will be disappointed with nearly any offer that comes your way. I can't see a good offer coming around unless it is from someone knows their Jags and likely has the parts on hand or knows how to get them on the cheap and even then I can't see such a buyer being generous. Anyone else would run like hell from this. It is a shame what has happened to it, certainly not a car you would see everyday.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I might have an interest acquiring the car. Do you have more recent photos of the car?

Old 06-12-2011, 09:58 AM
Cool Don't have any...

Originally Posted by tcbjaguarxjr
I might have an interest acquiring the car. Do you have more recent photos of the car?
Car has been sitting for a while. Last moved it in March. Might move it this weekend. Doesn't look impressive covered with tree pollen.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:08 AM

Are you interested enough in selling it to take some pictures so a person could see what they may be buying? You probably are not going to get any offers sight unseen.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:43 AM
Cool I'm not interested...

Are you interested enough in selling it to take some pictures so a person could see what they may be buying? You probably are not going to get any offers sight unseen.
In cleaning up the car so it looks presentable for one person on a message board. If I were going to sell it I would have it detailed and put it up on EBay. I won't take pictures of a dirty car that has been sitting in the spring pollen so someone can try and get a lower price on the car because it is not shiny...

I want to sell the car, but I need to cover my bank note. I don't have to sell the car...

It looks better than the picture I already posted because the front bumper is new and fixed.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:15 AM

It doesn't make any sense to offer to buy a car without even seeing photos of it. If that is your method of selling the car, good luck. I'll pass.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:57 AM
Thumbs down I'm glad...

It doesn't make any sense to offer to buy a car without even seeing photos of it. If that is your method of selling the car, good luck. I'll pass.
You seem to be a jerk, you don't deserve this car. I posted a photo of it, and stated why I am not posting current photos of it, like I said it is not worth it to clean up the car only because some nitwit on a message board says they are interested in it.

I am still torn between selling it or putting in the remanufactured engine. So for now I will continue to lower my note making payments.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

I'll have to side with Blackbeard, here. "I might have an interest in acquiring the car" isn't enough for me (or Blackbeard, apparently) to go through the hassle of getting the car ready for sale. He came in here asking what he might be able to get for the car, not to sell it.

Personally, I don't think you could ask for more than $2500 or so. $3000 is kinda at the price point where you expect a car to be running decently (no bad headgasket), unless it was an exotic.

The following users liked this post:
Blackbeard (06-15-2011)
Old 06-15-2011, 06:00 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah but to be fair, most "what is it worth" threads are really about selling a car. I'm not saying that this thread is that exact thing but I've been on forums since the mid 90's and usually these sorts of threads are just that and locked by most moderators.

If someone wanted to buy this car with the intention of fixing it, it would make sense to post pictures so they could assess the situation. Otherwise, it must be assumed the car is parts only. I'm not trying to be an *** but it is clear this car isn't selling itself and hence this thread. Anyone can like my words or not but I bet that is how most of us are seeing this thread.

The following users liked this post:
Markus (07-09-2011)

Quick Reply: What should I price my '99 VDP S/C?