Mark V - X 420G 1948 - 1970

Fuel Tank Restoration (rust) - MKIX

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Tank Restoration (rust) - MKIX

I have a 1959 Jaguar MKIX with the original gas tanks. I am starting to get sentiment from corrosion and rust in the tank. Does anyone know of a place that makes new tanks for a MKIX? Have you restored an original tank? I have read some mixed reviews about Gas Tank Renu and other restoring process and not sure what to do.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:09 AM
Received 114 Likes on 97 Posts

Hi RedDog,
I have used Gas Tank Renu for a 59 Cadallic and my tank hasn't had a problem. I had it done in 2003/4 time frame. I believe this process was developed by the Radiator Hospital here in Detroit area and they license other to do it to. So, I would guess the result depend on who is doing it and if they follow the procedure.

https://www.gastankrenu.com

Old 03-19-2019, 03:56 AM
Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

RedDog,

My '60 Mk IX's right tank had some sort of liner material that was peeling away from the sidewall and actually blocking the gauge float from moving. I pulled the tank and took it to a local radiator shop that also specialized in tank cleaning and re-lining. My understanding is that they put it in an acid bath to clean it and then re-lined it without opening it (sealed the openings and distributed some sort of lining solution around the inside. So far, all is well. Total bill was $200.

/Doug

Old 07-01-2019, 04:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
I used this product, I assume you are in the U.S. and I don't know if it's available there or even if they'll post it. The results were impressive in my Jaguar Mk 10

https://www.rust.co.uk/product/slosh...-tank-sealer-7

Regards,

Old 11-25-2021, 08:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mark VII-VIII-IX / 7-8-9 Stainless Steel Fuel/Gas/Petrol Tanks

Red Dog - I know you posted a long time ago about how to deal with rusty fuel tanks. Even if you've done something to deal with the issue in the interim, I thought you might want to know what we did.

The interim cures didn't work for us - and the local radiator/tank restoration folks wanted $600 per tank to "repair". And then we found a place in Rockford, Illinois (Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts - www.rockvalleyantiqueautoparts.com/ndex.htm) who is in the business of fabricating stainless steel fuel tanks for no more tha a rstoration would have cost - and we would end up with a far better tank than a repair could give. We arranged to send Rock Valley our original tanks and they're in the process now - expecting to finish in a few months (sometime in January 2022).

When they're done, I'll report to the Forum how it all turned out... we have high hopes.

Josh G

The following users liked this post:
S-Type Owner (11-27-2021)
Old 06-29-2022, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Following

Originally Posted by leboul99
Red Dog - I know you posted a long time ago about how to deal with rusty fuel tanks. Even if you've done something to deal with the issue in the interim, I thought you might want to know what we did.

The interim cures didn't work for us - and the local radiator/tank restoration folks wanted $600 per tank to "repair". And then we found a place in Rockford, Illinois (Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts - www.rockvalleyantiqueautoparts.com/ndex.htm) who is in the business of fabricating stainless steel fuel tanks for no more tha a rstoration would have cost - and we would end up with a far better tank than a repair could give. We arranged to send Rock Valley our original tanks and they're in the process now - expecting to finish in a few months (sometime in January 2022).

When they're done, I'll report to the Forum how it all turned out... we have high hopes.

Josh G
Any chance we get a follow up on the stainless tank ?

Last edited by Seawolf8; 06-29-2022 at 07:41 PM.