Mark V - X 420G 1948 - 1970

MARK 5 with a chevy engine what is it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Originally Posted by jrwb
I think you are being unfair to the Moderators - you're making them into tyrants, and I do not think they want to be seen in quite that way, so have a heart and not be so hard on them...

Making them into tyrants? I said....

"However, it's clear to me, by inference and outright statements, that all opinons and points of view are welcome and encouraged here unless or until it looks likes the conversation is headed towards the edge of a cliff....at which point they'll typically ask that we settle down a bit and let the contentious matter go."

Sounds kindly and gentle to me :-)

Cheers
DD

Cheers
DD

Old 06-28-2011, 12:29 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"They can allow or disallow whatever speech they want according to rules they make...or even on pure whimsy."

You forgot that part of the post - never mind, I accept your apology.

Some people seem to be in such a hurry to reply to a post that they fail to read the post properly.

If I have a 1930 Bentley 4 1/2 litre, I know it isn't as fast as my friend's M5, but goodness gracious, it wouldn't be quite the same car if it was...

If one takes one's 'old' car and makes it faster and whatever else one does to it - he aint got no damn business runnin' about the place and saying he's got a Jag when he's got just the body and little else. It just looks like a Jag.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:13 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

I ask that we please bring the conversation back to what was orignially asked. The matter of what classifies as a Jag and what doesn't is a matter of opinion. Can we agree to disagree as to what is a Jag?

As for the price that a vehicle is worth, that is in the eye of the beholder. I'm sure some of us would consider the value of a car much differently than some. As long as the guy or gal that is buying the vehicle is happy, then that is what matters. Some would say that a boat is merely a hole in the water where you toss your money or the classic B.O.A.T. (Break Out Another Thousand). Unfortunately, with something like the match talked about, getting a price for it is way to subjective to get something accurate. IF the work is done by Vinnie at the local shop doesn't carry the weight if someone like say CHip Foose did the work. May be of the same quality, but the name can make a big difference.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jrwb
"They can allow or disallow whatever speech they want according to rules they make...or even on pure whimsy."

You forgot that part of the post - never mind, I accept your apology.

Heh heh....no apology offered, I assure you. :-)

Some people seem to be in such a hurry to reply to a post that they fail to read the post properly.

Speaking of taking time to actually read a posting, you failed to see the distinction I made between what our moderators *could* do (that is, disallow whatever they wanted) and what they DO do (which is to happily invite all opinions). This explains the two separate paragraphs, the second beginning with "However".

If I have a 1930 Bentley 4 1/2 litre, I know it isn't as fast as my friend's M5, but goodness gracious, it wouldn't be quite the same car if it was...

Right. It would be a faster 1930 Bentley ! It might appeal to some but not others. It takes all kinds of people to make the world go round, as they say.

If one takes one's 'old' car and makes it faster and whatever else one does to it - he aint got no damn business runnin' about the place and saying he's got a Jag when he's got just the body and little else. It just looks like a Jag.

What if he puts a Jag V8 in it ? :-)

But, anyhow, even lacking that, he still has the gorgeous styling, splendid interior, famous Jaguar suspension and brakes. I think you're selling Jaguar a bit short by disregarding all the other Jaguar attributes and focusing just on the engine.

Jaguar and "power" are often associated with each other although some models haven't quite lived up to the association as well as others. In those cases it doesn't seem unnatural at all for an owner to want more ooomph. For years I drove a Ser III XJ6, a magnificent car that needed only another 100 horspower to be perfect. My choices were to install a V8, buy a V12 Ser III, or buy a newer, more powerful model altogether. My sig line reveals my final choice.

I myself prefer Jag engines in Jaguars...for ME.... but I'm just one of those nutty liberals who believes in "freedom of choice" (heh heh) and who loves all Jags no matter what they have between the front wheels.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-28-2011, 01:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Thermo
I ask that we please bring the conversation back to what was orignially asked. The matter of what classifies as a Jag and what doesn't is a matter of opinion. Can we agree to disagree as to what is a Jag?

Not another word from me, I promise. Sometimes I fall in love with the sound of my own voice, I admit it :-)

I was composed my last homily and hit send, only to find your request....which was surely directed at me.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-28-2011, 03:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

I think that it is now time for me to don my 'Whimsical Tyrant' hat. LOL

Opinions have been expressed, discussed, agreed with and disagreed with, the thread is now starting to go around in circles and has started to generate some behind the scenes activity.

It is also way off from the OP post of MARK 5 with a chevy engine what is it worth?

So reluctantly, and for reasons of forum harmony I am closing it down.

The following users liked this post:
plums (06-28-2011)
Old 06-29-2011, 11:38 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,150 Likes on 753 Posts

dang...late to the party I was going to throw something at this thread, probably my scepter.