Mark V - X 420G 1948 - 1970

Mark X (Mark Ten)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 08:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jaguars have that affect on the ladies, especially the older ones. I know if I rolled up in a wreck of an XK150, my wife would still love it.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:48 PM
Photobucket
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Spitfire
Even more importantly my good man, it had the same effect on MRS. Spitfire...
Really? Why Mr spitfire do I hear the sound of another female Jag enthusiast? It can be done you know. MrsV12 is a prime example.

Yeah actually I can see you two in a nice old Mark 1 or Mark II.
Or hey maybe you want to dig up another MK 10?
NO!!! An original S-Type! I will hook you up with Barry for a nice S-type.

Happen to have a line on a decent right hand drive model MK 10, might keep it for us though.

Here is the secret let her DRIVE THEM!

Fastest way to conversion Spit, let her drive.

Hey, know what I gave MrsV12 for a wedding present?
Her own keys to ALL the jags, and her own paperwork too.

JustV12

Last edited by justV12; 09-24-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:57 PM
Photobucket

Originally Posted by mycaptainchris
Jaguars have that affect on the ladies, especially the older ones. I know if I rolled up in a wreck of an XK150, my wife would still love it.
Hi mycaptainchris ahhh I have a question for you, you said:
Jaguars have that affect on the ladies, especially the older ones.
Do you mean the "Older ladies?" Cause I would be real careful with that one, or do you mean to say "Older Jags?"

Jay Leno said that if he drives his Cobra, guys are all over the car. If he drives his XK 120 women are all over the car.

So there

JustV12

Last edited by justV12; 09-25-2010 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Full moon
Old 09-25-2010, 09:10 AM
Photobucket

Ladies and Gentleman:
I in no way wish to divert the discussions now being had on this thread, in fact I am smiling every time I read a new post, it's great.
However I revert to my original question "Does anyone on this forum have one or any advice etc.

I am intimately fmiliar with the XK engine so thats not really an issue more like the ar itself.

Now having said that I would not be surprised if there was no one on the forum because after my original posting I went to British Car Day which is the biggest brit car event in this canadian province. We took the XJS Convertible and the MK 10. Guess how many MK 10's were present? Huh?
ONE, thats right we had the only MK 10 out of a thousand brit cars. It was the star attraction in the pre 68 section got a lot of talking going on.

So no worry, I think I have a very good one anyway.
Apparently MK 10's are pretty rare these days.

OK Back to all the frivolity!

JustV12

Old 09-25-2010, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by justV12
Hi mycaptainchris ahhh I have a question for you, you said:
Jaguars have that affect on the ladies, especially the older ones.
Do you mean the "Older ladies?" Cause I would be real careful with that one, or do you mean to say "Older Jags?"
Both it seems!!! Although my wife is a spritely 32 and loves the older Jaguars as much as the newer ones, or at least the new XK and her S-type.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Hey JV12, I have not seen any Mark 10's around here, although TwoJags has a Mark 9, that looks pretty.

Even as a kid in the UK during the 60's and a spotter/identifier of every car that I saw, the Mark 10 was a rare sight.

Hey, know what I gave MrsV12 for a wedding present?
Her own keys to ALL the jags, and her own paperwork too.

JustV12
Damn, your Missus has a log book, hope the Inspection went well, no corrosion issues and the like!

Old 09-25-2010, 12:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While there is a measure of prestige involved in being crushed to death by a Jaguar especially a V12, the results are rather permanent. Too funny!

A Mark VII in a deep red is my favorite.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by baycliffpwds
A Mark VII in a deep red is my favorite.
That would be nice!!! You could never have a black or white one!!!!!

Old 10-16-2010, 06:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My MK 10

I just swopped my late model MK 10 (4,2) MOD for a Rare XJS pre HE V12 manual. Although I like the XJS I still miss the MK10 .... but its gone to a good friend so it helps.

It was a one owner car when I bought it and I did a full restoration ..... and its great. I think they are so under rated. The earlier 3,8 with the old bellow brakes are a bit suspect but this was fixed with the later model. Otherwise get the system off a 420G.

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum - garethww's Albums

I am now thinking off getting a late model S Type R (2004) and stripping out the 4,2 supercharged V8 and transplanting it into a MK 10 or 420G, but the problem is that I still have to complete my Mk 9 and some other Jags first.

Last edited by garethww; 05-05-2011 at 06:46 AM. Reason: image not showing
Old 10-17-2010, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by garethww
I am now thinking off getting a late model S Type R (2004) and stripping out the 4,2 supercharged V8 and transplanting it into a MK 10 or 420G, but the problem is that I still have to complete my Mk 9 and some other Jags first.
Did you know you can buy a brand new crate 5.0 V8 ViCT all Aluminium engine from Ford racing. With no supercharger it is over 400hp and cost about $6,000. Then you won't have to sacrifice an S Type and you'll have a brand spanking engine.
Honestly, did nobody else notice how Jaguar and Ford introduced their 5.0's almost the same time!!! Just put jaguar badges on it.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:00 PM
Photobucket

Well as a matter of fact I for one didn't notice that Ford and Jag introduced their 5.0 litre motors at the same time!
Gee that means Jaguar had a Five litre engine back in 1968!!
Wow how did I miss that? I hope you are laughing with me here...

Sorry for that but if you know Jaguars and really know what's what, you will know that the Jaguar V8 has been 4.0 and then 4.2 and only recently enlarged to the 5.0. There is not one part, understand this not one single part, that interchanges with any ford engine of any year. (Spark plugs anyone?)
The Ford 5 litre is basically an ongoing advancment of the original 302 introduced in the sixties.

The Jaguar V8 is and always has been manufactured "in house" by AJ engineering. A.J stands for "Advanced Jaguar". It is most decidedly NOT a ford engine.

I am sorry for this snappy reply I hope you can forgive but really I get so tired of the things said concerning Jaguar cars and especally the Ford connection. Even if it is honest ignorance I feel like I have heard everything wrong that can possibly be assumed by any one. I do not beleive there is, nor ever will be any make of automobile that has as many mysteriously wrong things said and assumed about it as Jaguar cars.

Must go, I will suffer the slings and arrows of my reply later.

JustV12.

Last edited by justV12; 10-19-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Well as a matter of fact I for one didn't notice that Ford and Jag introduced their 5.0 litre motors at the same time!

Sorry for that but if you know Jaguars and really know what's what, you will know that the Jaguar V8 has been 4.0 and then 4.2 and only recently enlarged to the 5.0. There is not one part, understand this not one single part, that interchanges with any ford engine of any year. (Spark plugs anyone?)
The Ford 5 litre is basically an ongoing advancment of the original 302 introduced in the sixties.

The Jaguar V8 is and always has been manufactured "in house" by AJ engineering. A.J stands for "Advanced Jaguar". It is most decidedly NOT a ford engine.

I am sorry for this snappy reply I hope you can forgive but really I get so tired of the things said concerning Jaguar cars and especally the Ford connection. Even if it is honest ignorance I feel like I have heard everything wrong that can possibly be assumed by any one. I do not beleive there is, nor ever will be any make of automobile that has as many mysteriously wrong things said and assumed about it as Jaguar cars.

JustV12.
Do all the Lincoln LS's and to a lesser number Thunderbirds running around with the 4.0's and 4.2's (Err 3.9's in the LS), that have a slew of ford part #'s not count? It may be a Jag derived engine, and not based on a 302, but It HAS found it's way into FoMoCo products.

George

Old 10-27-2010, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

JustV12.
I believe you are wrong on the Ford V8. The new 5.0 is derived from the modular 4.6 V8 that started in the early to mid '90s. All of the engines are either SOHC or DOHC. The Windsor V8 the lasted until the 2000s was not an OHC engine. It is just coincidence (or an attempt at Heritage) that the latest Modular shares its displacement with one of the last Windsors and also with the latest Jaguar V8.

Check out these:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Modular_engine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Windsor_engine

I used to own an '87 Mercury Cougar with a 302 (5.0L) V8. I loved that car.

Last edited by K.Westra; 10-27-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:24 PM
ud
Received 148 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
Do all the Lincoln LS's and to a lesser number Thunderbirds running around with the 4.0's and 4.2's (Err 3.9's in the LS), that have a slew of ford part #'s not count? It may be a Jag derived engine, and not based on a 302, but It HAS found it's way into FoMoCo products.

George
Ford took (bought) the AJV8 from Jaguar for these two special models. I understand, although I haven't purchased any, that the parts sold in Ford dealers for these two engines say Jaguar on the boxes.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two 420G's

JustV12,
Getting back to your original posting, yes, we have two 420G's (a 1967 LHD, and a 1968 RHD) -- both black.

Both look original; the 68 RHD is pretty fairly restored to original; I'm installing AC into it.

The 1967 is just about all original with original rear AC. HOWEVER, it has a 520cubic inch crate engine with Turbo400 trans and a GearVendor overdrive unit attached (effectively giving it a low range and a high range in each gear). TI has a larger radiator with dual electric fans, and 140amp alternator and Sanden AC compressor which are GM. Along with this, it has XJS front suspension with a steering rack, and it is slightly lowered with wider wire wheels (Dunlap) -- but still deceptive enough to be a Sleeper.

We really like these sedans, as they represent the missing link that bridges the gap between the grand old flat radiator classics and the styling changes that came with the XJ-series. They LOOK old and elegant.

However, I'd like to make this point. I've spent most of my life messing with old higher-end old cars, mostly because they tended to be better made and higher quality than contemporary cars. But, darn it, the cars being made these present days are better looking and better performing, and more dependable, and more comfortable, than just about any period car from the 50s/60s/70s -- even Ferraris and Porsches from back then. Even economy cars nowadays have amenities that even Rolls Royces back in the day could not conceive of. And there are no parts problems; and the upholstery is all new new new, with no rips or parting seams, and there are no spots of rust, and none of the thousands of little tiny imperfections that one adds to the perpetual "to do" list that never ever gets completed.

Both our 420G's had thousands and thousands of dollars in work done to them -- over $85,000 in the 67, and over $65,000 in the 67 -- yes, eighty five thouand and sixty five thousand dollars (not my money, but the previous owners' money). You'd think they should be perfect, right? Wrong. They're just old and continually require attention.

BUT, if you insist, there are two Forums that us old Saloon-o-philes tend to populate: one is a British forum (Jaguar World) that has an active Classic Saloon section with very active Mark 10/420G owners who know their cars inside and out. (http://www.kelsey-forums.co.uk/cgi-b...classicsaloons ) These guys work on their cars, and they can figure out just about any problem that you might encounter.

The other is JagLovers, which has a Saloon section (http://forums.jag-lovers.org/index.php3 ). While they seem to be mostly Mark 2 guys, there also are some Mark10/420G owners who will chime in.

So, keep at it, and keep us posted how it goes with your 62.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A couple addenda

Just re-read my reply about our two 420Gs -- pardon the bad grammar and spelling.

I just remembered that there is a fellow on the Jag World forum who put a Jag V12 into his 420G -- Australian, I believe. He can give you extensive advice about this transplant, if you have the heart.

Also, I saw that you are near Toronto? Coincidently, I got the 68 420G RHD from a fellow just north of Tor (town called Sunderland). We drove it back across the border all the way to Norfolk, Virginia. The seller was John Head -- very genteel Brit, who does extensive Jag restorations in his retirement. You probably would run into him at Jag gatherings. If you do, please say hello -- the Jag's doing fine, living a mostly protected life. Much of the resto work on my car was done by Long Run Imports in your area -- another Brit who specializes in Jags.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:25 PM
Photobucket

Well, shall I hijack my thread? Or start a new one?
Revive the dead? Or bring new life?

Maybe I will try both.

It is the 50th anniversary of.....THE MK 10 this year?
Don't let that little upstart sports car steal the whole show, after all this isn't 1961 anymore you know

In England there is a club called SSOC, for Star Ship Owners Club.
Google it and see what you get.
These guys are dedicated to Starship onwership, umm...ship.

They have ONE gathering per year, in England where they made them, and from what I gather they have a tough time getting even a dozen cars out.

Heck the Toronto chapter of the Jaguar club gets more than ten Etypes at a regular meeting for no special reason at all.

I think we need to remember exactly how rare these cars are.

What do you say?

New thread in celebration of the MK 10 coming up, unless this gets a head of steam.

JV12

Old 05-04-2011, 07:20 PM
Photobucket

Hello Alan Leach:

Glad to see you here. If you go back a few pages in this thread you will find pictures ofour MK 10 in silver grey.
Anything specific you want to speak about? I have acces to one of the world authorities on old Jags, but I am not sure I would know more than you, if you have two of them.

Cheers;

JustV12

Old 09-19-2011, 03:22 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by alan leach
hi folks, i'm new here, i'm in auckland, new zealand, i have two 3.8 litre mark tens and a 420g parts car, i'm interested in corresponding with other mark ten/420g enthusiasts, especially in regards to mechanical/running gear/brake upgrades/modifications, and possibly spare parts, cheers, al.
Alan,

My car came from NZ to GB about 2 1/2 years ago it used to be owned by Jeremy Stace you may know the car ?

Quick Reply: Mark X (Mark Ten)