Mark V - X 420G 1948 - 1970

Mk IX Wipac Headlights & Pancake Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 07:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mk IX Wipac Headlights & Pancake Air Filter

Hi all,

This is my first post!

I have a 1959 Mk IX manual without overdrive here in Harare, Zimbabwe and I hope to take the first tentative steps towards restoration soon. Before I get started I would like to ask if anyone knows why my car might have Wipac headlights (see photos) rather than the normal 'J' headlights? It also has a pancake air filter (still to be photographed) rather than the standard one. Might these have been changed prior to the car being sent out to the tropics?

I look forward to your responses.

Regards

Fergus

Attached Thumbnails Mk IX Wipac Headlights & Pancake Air Filter-dscn2568.jpg   Mk IX Wipac Headlights & Pancake Air Filter-dscn2570.jpg   Mk IX Wipac Headlights & Pancake Air Filter-dscn2571.jpg  
Old 09-11-2012, 12:31 PM
Default Mk IX Wipac Headlights & Pancake Air Filter With Additional Photos

Hi again,

Please see the air filter photos attached now.

Thank you.

Regards

Fergus

Originally Posted by Fergus
Hi all,

This is my first post!

I have a 1959 Mk IX manual without overdrive here in Harare, Zimbabwe and I hope to take the first tentative steps towards restoration soon. Before I get started I would like to ask if anyone knows why my car might have Wipac headlights (see photos) rather than the normal 'J' headlights? It also has a pancake air filter (still to be photographed) rather than the standard one. Might these have been changed prior to the car being sent out to the tropics?

I look forward to your responses.

Regards

Fergus

Attached Thumbnails Mk IX Wipac Headlights & Pancake Air Filter-dscn4554.jpg   Mk IX Wipac Headlights & Pancake Air Filter-dscn4558.jpg   Mk IX Wipac Headlights & Pancake Air Filter-dscn4559.jpg  
Old 09-12-2012, 05:58 AM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

As you already know, the OE headlamp fitted to your MK9 (and also the MK 8 and the XK140/150) would have been the 'J' type.

Wipac weren't an OE parts supplier to Jaguar but were very active in the replacement market. The likelihood is the headlamps have been replaced at some time and Wipac would have been a lower cost option than OE parts.

The 'J' type is available from SNG Barratt in the UK if you want to go for originality. Their Part Number is 5304.

The AC Air Filter is not the original type fitted to UK spec vehicles. The housing used by Jaguar was enormous:

These cylindrical filter housings must be difficult or impossible to source as I've seen a number of early Jaguar saloons with smaller chrome plated replacement filters.

If the AC is an oil bath filter, it may have fitted as an alternative if the vehicle was originally used in dusty conditions.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails Mk IX Wipac Headlights & Pancake Air Filter-mk9-air-filter.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Fergus (09-12-2012)
Old 09-12-2012, 06:28 AM

Hi Graham,

Thank you very much for your reply, information and photo. I guess an order to SNG Barratts one day will be necessary unless I can find a pair of decent J lamps lurking here in Zim! I know of a pretty derelict Mk IX here in Harare, which has the J lamps I think so I must go and check it out again. This car is also a manual but with overdrive, which I would like to add to mine. The owner did want silly money some time ago for me to take away the whole car though!

Regarding the AC air filter I did see what looked to be the same one fitted to a Mk IX in a classic car show room in Cape Town so maybe they were fitted as you suggest to cars which were likely to be exposed to dusty conditions. Such conditions would certainly be the case here in Zimbabwe or Rhodesia as it was when my car came here.

Regards

Fergus