Mark V - X 420G 1948 - 1970

Mk8 Power steering conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2022, 09:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Mk8 Power steering conversion

Wondering if anyone has done a power steer conversion on a Mk 8. Some Mk8s and Mk9s had power steering so it cant be that hard?? Any helpful advice be appreciated thanks.

Old 01-09-2022, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,956 Posts

The main problem if you want to install as per original, is getting the components. The original installation would have used a Burman steering box, an hydraulic pump (not sure who made these), and the fluid reservoir. The pump went on the bqck of the dynamo, so you also have to find one with the fitting at the rear to take the pump.

What people do now is install electric power steering on the column. There kits available for this, but you'd have to search the internet. Anybody who has converted any one of the XK cars, (120, 140, 150) should be able to assist

The following users liked this post:
DGorvetzian (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 06:31 PM
Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

FYI, my Mk IX's steering box is leaking pretty badly, and I started looking to see if a replacement box was available. I couldn't find one; Barratt used to sell an aftermarket one, but not anymore. I think you'd be looking at getting something from a donor car and then rebuilding it. The pumps appear to be available. Come to think of it, you'd probably be best finding a donor Mk IX for the whole setup (including dynamo) and then rebuilding before installation. And then prepare for the inevitable leaks.

I'm probably looking at $850 just for the steering box rebuild, not to mention removal / installation labor. Electric is sounding better and better...

Old 01-12-2022, 12:53 PM

Thanks for all that info. It seems the electric conversion will be the best way to go using the SG Barrett kit. It appears quite neat and effective if a little expensive. However I would be prepared to pay that as I could also get a new smaller wood rim 15inch steering wheel from them.
I wonder if anyone has used this kit and could give a report please.
Cheers David

Last edited by DB48; 01-12-2022 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Not finished
Old 01-13-2022, 11:16 AM

One thing I'd ask about (on the electric assist) is the electrical system drain. I'm wondering if the dynamo can keep up with the demands of the electric assist. And what happens w/r/t steering control in the event of failure or insufficient current availability.

Old 01-13-2022, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,956 Posts

And what happens w/r/t steering control in the event of failure or insufficient current availability
The steering just becomes a manual system without assistance, so a bit hard to manoevre at lower speeds, which is where the PAS does the work. On the open road, the power assistance is minimal.

Old 02-03-2022, 10:46 PM

Well after a lot of questions and answers, I think I will go with the UK SNG Barrett (spelling?) electric PS qqbolt on version. Need to be careful not to overcapitalise the old girl but have her usefully driveable! Has anyone fitted one of these to a Mk8 and any issues please.

Old 03-09-2022, 02:04 PM

Well, DB, did you proceed? I mentioned I was having my MK IX steering box rebuilt. Did that, drove 30 miles, and the seals blew. Pulled it, sent it back to the rebuild shop, they put it on the testing bench, and the seals blew out again. They're trying yet again.

So now, electric steering is looking very attractive. My mechanic heard about this for XKs with rack & pinion, but not for steering box applications. So I'll be contacting Barratt. But I'd be very interested in hearing your experience, if you decided to proceed.

Old 03-10-2022, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by DGorvetzian
So now, electric steering is looking very attractive. My mechanic heard about this for XKs with rack & pinion, but not for steering box applications. So I'll be contacting Barratt. But I'd be very interested in hearing your experience, if you decided to proceed.
Well, I figured I'd contact Barratt and see what they had to say. They told me that their solution sits between the steering column and the steering box, and the original steering box is retained. So as I was pondering the thought of filling my steering box with grease and permanently sealing it, along with the reality that I *might* need to swap my power steering box for a donor manual steering box from a Mark VII or Mark VIII, I asked Barratt about the price for the electric power steering unit. $6800.00. And yes, the decimal point is in the correct location. Therefore, I'm going to keep trying to seal up my existing power steering box, and if it never seals properly, I'll learn to live with the constant drips. I can buy an air conditioning system for half the price they're asking for the electric power steering.

Old 05-29-2022, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,382 Likes on 1,031 Posts

ICS Steering in the UK might be the best people to contact for repair of an old box. They are in Birmingham, UK.

Old 11-28-2022, 01:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are several ways to make power steering work on a Mk8 Jetta, the most expensive way is to buy a complete power steering system from a Mk4. This option is for someone who don't want to cut and hack. A cheaper, although not as good, option is to use an adapter plate from an mk4 and then bolt in the power steering pump from a mk7. Another way is to use the power steering pump from an mk7 (bolted on to the mk4 engine) and the power steering pump bracket from a mk4 (bolted on to the mk7 engine). This option is a little bit iffy, it could work, but there's no way to know if it will be sloppy or not.

Old 11-28-2022, 02:44 PM

I forgot about this old thread and never sent an update. FWIW, my rebuild shop in Palm Springs, CA was able to secure an alternate core and rebuilt that for me. It's been in place for 8 months now and is leak-free. So obviously, cores are available somewhere.

The following 2 users liked this post by DGorvetzian:
Peter3442 (12-04-2022), S-Type Owner (11-29-2022)