Mark V - X 420G 1948 - 1970

Mk8 Resto

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2021, 04:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Mk8 Resto

Hi group. I am a new member in NZ. Have a family heirloom 1959 Mk8 Auto. 100k miles I want to start a restoration. Checking the fuel tank and system out and need a blow up diagram of the components. Can’t find anything in workshop manual or online. Anyone know of this diagram please.
cheers DB48

Old 09-16-2021, 04:22 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hope this helps.
mike

Mark VIII fuel system diagram

Old 09-16-2021, 11:44 PM

Hey this is great thanks Mike!
what book has that come from please? Workshop manual has none of this detail.
I have finally worked it out with trial and error. Ended up with dead SU pumps. One had already been replaced with an early SU type replacement made here in Waihi NZ. I tried cleaning points etc of pumps but they need a bit more work so ended up with 2 modern replacements from Fuel Flow here in Waihi who make great pumps for British classics. blew out lines and SU carb filters and sight filter and about to fit one new pump first and see what happens.
Think I might need tanks properly cleaned and coated if all is ok. See if she goes first.
cheers David

Old 09-17-2021, 09:12 AM

This is the Spare Parts Catalogue that I used. It really helped.

Old 09-17-2021, 09:18 AM

I had my tanks repaired and resealed.

Old 09-17-2021, 03:27 PM

Great job Mike. As I said, first I need to get her going and then take it step by step. Aspiration to do similar with tanks etc. having that spare parts catalogue would be a bonus. Don’t suppose anyone out there has a spare one?
Did you do a body-off resto? I see you have a professional hoist. I am not thinking of being so enthusiastic at this stage. Do you still have the Mk8?My aim is to get her up and running and do a Roadie around the Nth Island, NZ. Thinking about a new interior kit (less leather) from UK and exterior rubber kit ex USA. Might need a B-G auto kit ex UK. Car only just done 100k miles so hoping engine not too bad. 🤞🤞🤞

Old 09-19-2021, 09:50 AM

I did a body off. Took me 4 yrs. Still have the car and drive as often as I can. Leaks oil like a sieve and will be pulling the engine this winter to fix. Gas tank fittings leak. Stinky. Hope to get that fixed up too.

Old 09-19-2021, 02:15 PM

Oil leaks is pretty normal for these old girls apparently. They have a useless rope type seal between engine and transmission I believe. That can be replaced with a modern type Nitrile? Seal available from Moss. I will need to take out Engine and gearbox also as auto needs a major service and will sort the leaks hopefully. Getting that Auto repaired will be another chapter. Fitting one new pump today including an extra filter before the pump hopefully be able to fire her up. 🤞.

Old 12-29-2021, 01:15 PM

Hi people,
nearly the end of a very disrupted year with COVID lockdowns and plenty of time in the Antipodean south for fruitful efforts towards getting Mk8 roadworthy again. Lots to show when back from holiday in the NY. Have Trans out and only broken part was rear shaft bearing. New on arriving from UK soon. As soon as my Automan gets back from Holiday will be right onto relining the bands and reassembling. Head coming off and refurb planned. Will change oil out to Penrite 30W75 and see how oil pressure is.
wondering if anyone has experience in upgrading the steering of a Mk8. I think Mk9 has power steering?
Is it possible to “bolt on” a more recent Power Steer system.
Will post some pics of refurb woodwork etc in NY.
Bring on a happy 2022 when it arrives!
DB48

Old 02-17-2022, 09:28 PM

Hi Mike,
Waiting for my Parts catalogue for the Mk8 to arrive via a friend in Canada who's coming here to live. Meantime taking out the right side gas tank. Needs a clean our and seal. Is there a trick to removing it. I have the top band off and drained it out the drain plug and the fuel line disconnected. Is it just the Rubber connection to the filler that holds it in. It looks like it needs to come up and out at the top to clear the lower part and the drain plug from the body. Maybe I am missing something as it seems very firm.
Thanks for your help in anticipation.
Cheers David Christchurch NZ

Old 02-18-2022, 09:20 PM

Hi David,
No trick to it, the tie down strap is the only thing holding it in place. there are rubber pads the tank sits on, if it is stuck it would be to those pads just from sitting on them all this time. A little persuasion should be all it needs.
Mike

Old 02-19-2022, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Rotomike
Hi David,
No trick to it, the tie down strap is the only thing holding it in place. there are rubber pads the tank sits on, if it is stuck it would be to those pads just from sitting on them all this time. A little persuasion should be all it needs.
Mike
Thanks Mike. The rubber sleeve connecting the top of tank to the filler is proving to be difficult. Considering cutting it off and replacing it but you might have a less radical method.
Generally things are ticking along positively. Red leather has restored beautifully and all the woodwork is repaired and recoated with 2k Altex Carbithane. I stripped the wood back and reglued a lot of the edge veneer. Painstaking but rewarding. 4 coats of painted on Carbithane and final coat sprayed. Working on some surface rust inside the bottom of the doors and waiting to get a slot at my local Jag garage to have the transmission put back and overhaul the top end. Brakes all sorted. Waiting for interior trim kit to arrive from UK.
David