Mark V - X 420G 1948 - 1970

Static discharge?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 08:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Static discharge?

Hi All,
Greatings from Belgium.

I have build in my engine of my Jaguar MKV (3.5 liter) after changing the piston rings and putting new head gasket etc.
I put oil in it, so now I came to the point to start the engine for the first time since years.
However, when starting up, I've got immediattely sparks between some engine parts and the body (especially between the oil pipe going to the oil pressure gauge and the body where it enters the cabin) Sometime I see it also between the carb rods and the engine.
I first tought about an ignition problem, but even with ignition off (by disconnecting the coil) the sparks still occur when crancking the engine.
I have replaced the starter with a high torque starter, but sparks are still coming.
I tried to make an additional ground wire between the body and the engine.. sparks still come.

Is it possible that this is because of a static discharge? How does this static energy occurs in the engine?
Is anyone having an idea or experience regarding this?

All help/advice is welcome, I'm getting out of idea's now...

Thanks
Dirk

Old 11-13-2019, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 627 Likes on 492 Posts

Have you checked the grounding points for proper contact and/or corrosion? Also is your car an original positive ground/earth car or a negative ground/earth conversion?

If the sparks only fly when cranking the engine over, then it is likely that the issue is in your ignition/starter circuit...

Old 11-13-2019, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by S-Type Owner
Have you checked the grounding points for proper contact and/or corrosion? Also is your car an original positive ground/earth car or a negative ground/earth conversion?

If the sparks only fly when cranking the engine over, then it is likely that the issue is in your ignition/starter circuit...
Hi, my car is positive grounded.
I checked all grounding points and they are OK.
When disconnecting the ignition circuit, the sparks still come up, and the starter and starter solenoid are new..

Old 11-14-2019, 04:14 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the additional information. It is unlikely that the discharge between engine and chassis comes from static electricity. Is your new starter set up for a positive ground and properly installed?

Old 11-15-2019, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member

Dirk, I took the liberty of copying your post and pasting it in a forum that I frequent over on the so-called British Jaguar forum.

Here is the sole response that I have received so far:

"Does he have a decent sized ground strap from the starter to the battery and a decent sized feed cable to the battery?

Does he still use the remote starter relais? It should not be needed with the high torque starter."

Old 11-15-2019, 01:54 PM

Hi, thanks for sharing my post.
I have a big ground strap to the engine, but not directly to the starter. I think that's not necessary as the whole engine block act as a ground.
Indeed I still have the original solenoid for the high torque starter, it's not necessary but it keeps the original look.

I will do a test on monday to switch the battery off from the car and only run the starter directly on the battery .
See what happens....

Thanks
Dirk

Old 11-18-2019, 01:03 PM

Hi,
I could finally solve the problem by connecting the positive ground wire from the battery to the starter motor and remove the ground wire between the engine and the chassis.
All functions good now and I could start the engine for the first time in years.
Thanks
Dirk

The following users liked this post:
S-Type Owner (11-18-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member

I am glad you got it sorted! I hope the balance of your repairs/restoration go off without a hitch...