Marketplace Introducing our new Marketplace! Browse new listings, post your items for sale, or list a wanted ad.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TIBBE KEYS made!

For Sale

Old 01-18-2020, 11:09 AM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Rabhyia Siddiq
I am glad you can make copies of the keys!

Our only ignition key got lost and I wanted to know if there is any possibility if you can make a copy of it? It's for my 98 XJ8?
This is a problem.

If you have the key code, I can duplicate the physical key. However, you will need a local locksmith or dealer to program the car to recognize the key (maybe half an hour worth of work). Since very few locksmiths want to tackle Tibbe keys, you might find one who would be happy to do this for you if you supply the key.

WITHOUT a key code, it is possible to decode a Tibbe lock using a special tool, which you can buy on Ebay or Amazon for under $40, then I can cut a key from the code you provide, but you're still going to have to get it programmed.

Where are you located?

Old 01-18-2020, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by MaxTorq
sone,

i recently bought a '05 xkr that only came with one key & fob...did some digging and calling around and came across a locksmith in arlington texas that did not know (until he tried for me) that he was actually able to do all the magic stuff to some "flip key" that i acquired thru ebay...had to wait awhile so china could make and mail (you could do in bulk?); however it was worth the wait and now i have three keys...i put the original in the safe...
my point here is...would you like to contact him to find out the gee-wiz box he used ? to add to your capability and assistance to the brotha's here in the forum ?

...just a thought/ offering...

max
Yes, I would like to know. Did he CLONE your key, or hook up to the car and mate the keys and car ("on-board" programming)? Please ask him which box he used, and I'll put him on a list to refer owners.

Just to be clear, the transponder on the key and the buttons on the fob are not related to each other in any way. There are different procedures for making each work with the car.

Old 01-24-2020, 05:02 PM
Received 8,076 Likes on 4,871 Posts

Be aware that the RFID 'chip' in the NORTH AMERICAN 1998-1999 is different from the 2000MY onward.

The 'rolling-code' RFID starts at (VIN) F00035 X308 and A00083 X100

The 8 cut keys look the same but the KTM will not recognize the incorrect RFID.

Make sure you cut the correct blank!!!!

bob

Old 01-24-2020, 07:29 PM
Received 91 Likes on 57 Posts
Default 99 xjs vdp

Hi!
I am trying to get my head around the 1999 XJ8 security setup.

1. The ignition key security is made of 3 components:
a. The remote entry RF keyfob
b/c. The security ignition key fob (actual cut key and embedded security chip in key handle).

2. The remote entry keyfob uses a radio frequency circuit (315MHZ On most X308 Jags) to transmit
a key code from the key fob security chip to the car security module in the trunk.
This security code is entirely separate from the actual cut key code chip in the key handle.
This code will contain information that the security controller will use to
Unlock the car, flash lights, sound the horn, lock the car, and other security
features remotely.

3. The plastic part of the actual ignition key handle has a code chip embedded in it that
the security monitor antenna in the steering column querys when the ignition key is placed
into the igition on the steering column. The code it receives determines if the car will
enable the engine starting function or just puts the car in "instant dumb as a stump" mode.
It sort of reminds me of the "Near Field Communication"chip that the Smartphones use
for the SmartPay features.

Now, I understand and have used part 2 above to add a Remote Keyfob to my cars allowed remotes database.
Are there 2 databases? One for the Key handle security chip and one for the Remote keyfob?

The car WILL not start if the Key Handle chip ID is NOT in the car security database regardless if
the Key is cut properly or if the Remote entry keyfob works.

What I'm not clear on is Part 3 and how to add a new key with the attached plastic keyfob to the car
security database of new keys with the new security code.
Of course the actual key has to be cut by a locksmith with a magic key cutter and a programmer device.
Or is the new key with the internal key code actually blank and has to be "coded" or "programmed" with a code
that only the dealer can add to the car security database in the security module?
I gather that this is where the mysterious "Mongoose" device,a PC and the XP OS come into play.

Is the step 3 programming one of the services that your company provides if a key is purchased from you?
And how is this key code added to the car security database?
Regards,
Robert Scarborough
1999 XJ8 VDP and 1994 XJS 2+2

Old 01-28-2020, 04:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by Sone
I THINK I can, but won't know until I try one. The list that I made all use the same transponder as the X-type, while earlier Jag series use a different type of chip.

The cloner that I have does a special kind of chip which replaces a number of different chips, but the spec sheets are very much like Jaguar service literature -- mostly for moral support! -- and doesn't tell me if the Megamos protocols are supported. One list says "All Jaguar" compatibility, but until I actually see it happen, I'm not going to promise anything.
Ok. I understand. Please report back if/when you are able to clone an X100 key.

Old 01-30-2020, 02:49 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I love that song and play it just about everytime I drive the Jaguar! Thanks for sharing the video.

The following users liked this post:
Highhorse (01-30-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 12:59 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Tibbe keys

Sone,
I was able to have a key cut and programmed today. Locksmith came to my home, cut key blank and programmed it to the car with a XHorse super chip transponder. He had to use the original key in the ignition switch, which then communicated with the security antenna surrounding the switch, passed the codes back to the XHorse unit and after a short wait received required information to program the new key. The key blank used was a Megamos Crypto ID48.....good for all XK8/XKR’s from 2000 to 2006. Cost $100 Canadian, including key blank, cutting and programming.
Note with his XHorse unit the car and a working key had to both be present. Hope this helps.
Graeme Bruce
2005 XKR, triple black, Ricardo seats and 20” BBS Sepang wheels

Redline (04-28-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by GBCat
Sone,
I was able to have a key cut and programmed today. Locksmith came to my home, cut key blank and programmed it to the car with a XHorse super chip transponder. He had to use the original key in the ignition switch, which then communicated with the security antenna surrounding the switch, passed the codes back to the XHorse unit and after a short wait received required information to program the new key. The key blank used was a Megamos Crypto ID48.....good for all XK8/XKR’s from 2000 to 2006. Cost $100 Canadian, including key blank, cutting and programming.
Note with his XHorse unit the car and a working key had to both be present. Hope this helps.
Graeme Bruce
2005 XKR, triple black, Ricardo seats and 20” BBS Sepang wheels
This is great information, thanks!

If the Xhorse can emulate the Megamos, then it SHOULD be possible to clone it. What he did for you was mate the car and key as a SECOND key, rather than a clone of the first key.

GBCat (02-19-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 09:36 PM
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Sone,
The temperature finally warmed up enough for me to try to start my XJS with the key you made for me. The key worked great and the Jaguar started right up. I was a bit apprehensive about having the key reproduced from pictures I sent you but it worked out perfectly.
Thumbs up on the Tibbe key.
Harry

Last edited by Harro10; 02-25-2020 at 02:57 PM.
Sone (04-21-2020)
Old 03-17-2020, 12:03 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Motorcarman, I see you have a '99 VDP listed in your car list that states parts or project? If you decide, or if you have already decided to part it out, I have a '98 VDP that I need a few things and will pay a fair price...?
Third brake light housing
Nice front door wood trim (L & R)
Trunk lid light set (both)

Old 04-21-2020, 11:58 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Sone - I've got a 2001 XJR that came with a few originals but no valet. I see some valet blanks on ebay but they are not transponder ones. I've got no idea if my '01 will require the transponder or not - can you provide some insight?

Best,
Jeff

Old 04-21-2020, 08:59 PM

Yes, your car uses a transponder.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:04 PM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi Sone - I have the following Jags, both with only one key (both work fine to start the respective cars). Can you provide a programmed spare key for each? If so, I assume you'll need the physical keys to do so?

1997 XK8
2002 XJR-100

Thanks,
Dan

Old 04-24-2020, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by dhardison
Hi Sone - I have the following Jags, both with only one key (both work fine to start the respective cars). Can you provide a programmed spare key for each? If so, I assume you'll need the physical keys to do so?

1997 XK8
2002 XJR-100

Thanks,
Dan
Each of those uses a different Megamos transponder. I have not attempted to clone new keys to the Megamos, but BELIEVE that my clone machine can do it. It does fine with the later transponders.

I would need the keys to try.

I can attempt the cloning before cutting keys -- if it seems to be working, I will cut the keys, send them to you, and have you report back if they work or not.

Old 04-25-2020, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by dhardison

1997 XK8
2002 XJR-100

Thanks,
Dan
Hi Sone. I have a similar-ish question (don't know if the tech is different on my 2003 XKR... I have a key, the original transponder which I think was damaged, and then another transponder that I that I bought later, all numbers match (pic)... For a while the key started the car. I've been working on this thing a while. Then it stopped working.

If I sent all three and the VIN - the old transponder, new the transponder and the key, can you work with that to get the key talking to at least ONE of the transponders?

Please PM me or here. Either is fine.

Old 04-25-2020, 01:44 PM

Sorry, that's beyond my capabilities here.

What you need to do is mate the transponder and key together. This is done in the car, with the appropriate programming unit and software.

Old 05-20-2020, 03:58 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Hello Sone

Sone. Trying to get in touch with you. Sent u a private message and an email. Hope all is well. Contact me back ASAP please. Thx

Old 06-05-2020, 11:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default key for my 04 XJ8

Hi, I have one key for my 2004 XJ8. It was made by a locksmith by the previous owner and does not work in the trunk. I would like to get one which does work in the trunk and starter if possible.

Old 06-06-2020, 10:45 AM

If it works in the ignition but not the trunk, one or the other has been replaced. Ignition, trunk, doors and glovebox originally all worked with the same key.

Given the nature of Tibbe keys and locks, I would suggest that you shoot some WD-40 into the trunk lock, and gently work the key in and out a few times to see if you just have a stuck disc, then jiggle the key while trying to gently turn it.

If this doesn't work, then the only way to get it to work with the ignition key would be to take the lock out, and either replace it or take it apart and re-disc it -- which is probably going to cost more than it's worth.

I can cut you one that will be the same as the key you have. For the transponder, we have three options -- first, I can supply the key with an original TI transponder, and you will have to get a locksmith or dealer to program the car to accept it. Second, you will have to send the key you have so that I can clone the chip. Third, I can supply it with a chip that can be cloned using an XHorse programmer by a local locksmith.

Vanden Nate (06-11-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 01:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HI and thanks for getting back to me. On a similar forum (where they gave me your info) someone took a picture of the valet key and the driver's key and there was a slight difference. The driver key was narrower at the end. There valet key could not open the trunk as it would not go all the way in. So, I am hoping you can make the same key but with the narrower end of a driver's key. Is this possible?
Also, I just put the car back together after replacing a rear sway bar link and, when I drove it, I get the message that "Boot is Open".