Marketplace Introducing our new Marketplace! Browse new listings, post your items for sale, or list a wanted ad.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1960 Jaguar Mk II 2.4 right hand drive 4 speed manual originally from S. Africa

For Sale

1960 Jaguar 2.4

01-04-2020, 02:03 PM | Replies: 8 | Views: 2133
  • 1960 Jaguar 2.4 - 1960 Jaguar Mk II 2.4 right hand drive 4 speed manual originally from S. Africa - Used - VIN Chassis 100363 - 6 cyl - 2WD - Manual - Sedan - White - Oro Valley, AZ 85755, United States

• Price
    $14,000
  • Location Oro Valley, AZ, 85755, USA
  • Condition Used
  • VIN Chassis 100363
  • Engine 6 cyl
  • Drive Type 2WD
  • Transmission Manual
  • Vehicle Type Sedan
  • Exterior Color White
Description:

Hello all-

My father has asked me to sell his long term ownership, largely original, very early Mark 2, as he is now well into his 80's, and hasn't been able to do anything with the car for a long time. Sadly, this will be a 'bring a trailer' sale, as the car is not currently running, and may also have recently developed braking issues. The car hasn't driven on its own for about 2 or 3 years now.

That said, the car's 2.4 straight six can run fine with some help on the fueling, but this Jag needs a complete going over by a vintage Jaguar expert. It's just been sitting too long, and that damn E15 ethanol fuel kills everything. I installed some rebuilt carburetors we got from the UK probably almost 10 years ago now, but I think they need overhaul again. I've also replace the fuel pump once, which I believe is still OK. I do have some engine running videos I could post on YouTube if there are any interested parties; they are videos I took back in Sept. of 2018.

Recently, my father was in the car and pressed the brake pedal, and he said something loudly 'popped', and the pedal is now spongy. I'm guessing master cylinder issues. With unknown braking, a slippy clutch, the car not being able to be safely run and moved out of the garage, and as you can see from my father's amount of 'junk' around the car, it is impossible for myself or anyone to really be able to work on it now, and he just wants it rolled out and put onto a flat bed and taken away.

I will update this description as I get more information from my father, but I do know that this particular Mark 2 was originally sold to a lady in Port Elizabeth South Africa, and eventually made its way to Arizona USA where it's been ever since. I also know that this is a very early Mk II and has a bunch of rare features that were only employed in the very beginning of the production run. I believe the body number 100363 indicates that it was only the 363rd Mark 2 built. For better or worse, unlike some Mark 2's I've seen, this saloon retains a large portion of its original wiring and fitments, which I think is quite interesting, although we are talking Lucas electrics here

Although my dad has had some exhaust and gas tank work done on the car over his (13+ year?) ownership, the previous owners (also in Arizona) had repainted the car in Creme or Old English White, and had the interior redone in a nice light blue. I believe the original color of the car was Sherwood Green, just going by the engine bay hints. We do have a heritage certificate for the car, however it is currently gone missing. I believe he has a xerox copy for now, which I will post here when I get a copy.

For now, I will let the cellphone photos I took the other day do the rest of the talking, and as I stated before, I will continue to update this posting with new information as I get it from my father. I just wanted to start the for sale ad today, as it's long overdue. The car deserves a new loving home by a vintage Jaguar enthusiast, and I believe is worth being brought back to a show car state, due to its minimal rust, and highly original underpinnings.

If the photos don't show, it's 100% Photobucket's fault! Feel free to message me privately, and I'd be happy to email them to you.

Best regards,
Joe

Last edited by Chamberlin; 01-04-2020 at 02:13 PM. Reply
Old 01-04-2020, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,189 Likes on 690 Posts

You've got your self a Gem there. For the few things you listed to be wrong with it. The rest of it is down right Gorgeous for a car of it's age. Nice very nice. I don't see you having much trouble selling it. Good Luck

Jack

The following users liked this post:
SinF (01-06-2020)
Old 01-05-2020, 06:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the nice words Jack! We're hoping it finds the right buyer, maybe even overseas!

Old 01-11-2020, 07:34 PM

Got some more info today, including some of the service records from my dad. I also got his stash of older digital photos too, which I will post below.

His records show that he bought the car in May of 2003, when it had 76,081 miles. 17 years later, it now has 77,252 miles. Less than 1200 miles have been added by my father.

Also, all the body and engine serial numbers seem to match the placards, so this appears to be a matching numbers car. The Jaguar letter says the car's original color was "Mint", confirming my suspicions of green in the engine bay!

Last edited by Chamberlin; 01-11-2020 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:35 PM
Old 01-11-2020, 07:35 PM

Last edited by Chamberlin; 01-11-2020 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:50 PM

Also, I check the brake pedal today, and it is now flopping around with no-spring back. However if you slowly add pressure while at its lower limit, you can feel it still pushing something with resistance. The further you push it however, the further down low it stays (one way action, no return). I'm guessing something has to be wrong in the master cylinder.

Old 10-24-2020, 01:52 PM

Please contact me if anyone knows somebody interested in this Jaguar! We are accepting reasonable offers, we just need to have the car gone but we'd prefer it to go to an enthusiast. Please remember that this would need to be a true 'bring a trailer' sale.

Old 11-08-2020, 01:37 PM

We finally located the framed Jaguar certificate for this car! Accepting offers, so please let us know if you know anybody interested.

Last edited by Chamberlin; 11-08-2020 at 01:40 PM.