Marketplace Introducing our new Marketplace! Browse new listings, post your items for sale, or list a wanted ad.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'64 E=type FHC

For Sale

1964 Jaguar XKE

12-05-2020, 04:01 PM | Replies: 29 | Views: 3604
  • 1964 Jaguar XKE - '64 E=type FHC - Used - VIN JA889474 - 63,000 Miles - 6 cyl - 2WD - Manual - Coupe - Gray - Dfw, TX 76000, United States
  • 1964 Jaguar XKE - '64 E=type FHC - Used - VIN JA889474 - 63,000 Miles - 6 cyl - 2WD - Manual - Coupe - Gray - Dfw, TX 76000, United States

• Price
    $130,000
  • Location Dfw, TX, 76000, USA
  • Condition Used
  • VIN JA889474
  • Mileage 63,000
  • Engine 6 cyl
  • Drive Type 2WD
  • Transmission Manual
  • Vehicle Type Coupe
  • Exterior Color Gray
Description:

Twelve year nut and bolt rotisserie restoration to JCNA guidelines.  Less than 900 miles since completion about a year ago.   Bare metal respray in Opalescent Gunmetal with beige interior. (The very first E-type was OP Gunmetal.). Although the fit and finish are concours quality, the build spec was for a comfortable and ultra-reliable road car (not a trailer queen).  Carefully selected upgrades were incorporated to that end.  This car was originally sold in California.  I have owned it since 1984.  It was never a rust bucket.  Hundreds of  restoration photos document the pre-paint condition and build.

The comprehensive engine rebuild includes Teflon front crank seal and Terry's Jaguar Viton rear lip seal as well as valve guide seals on both intake and exhaust.  No leaks. Electronic ignition.   All synchro, close ratio EJ transmission replaces the Moss crash box.  The final drive was converted from 3.54 to 3.07 ratio.   New OSJI interior, instrument panel covering and dash pad.  Classic Auto Air conditioning kit mimics the look of the factory AC in the Series 2.  New 6x15 center laced wire wheels.  Complete suspension rebuild front and rear. Rebuilt steering rack and column. New chrome and CAD plating throughout.  Brass sleeved brake calipers .  Alternator conversion, Coolcat fan, modern in-tank fuel pump, geared starter, big radiator, LED panel lighting, extensive heat and sound shielding.  Jet hot coated exhaust system from manifolds to tail pipes. New windshield.  All new weather stripping and seals.  Original parts such as Moss gearbox, steering wheel, starter, generator, wire wheels included.  Several pieces of (re-plated) chrome trim that were left off due to owner aesthetics preference are included with the sale.

Too many details to list here.  Save the buyers fee on an auction site and buy it direct.  Hagerty lists the value of a number 2 Series one FHC at $147,000.  If this isn't a top quality #2, I'll eat it. I would deliver to Houston for overseas shipment.  No brokers or scammers, please. 

Feel free to ask  questions.

Last edited by sklimii; 12-30-2020 at 09:52 AM. Reply
Old 12-07-2020, 02:49 PM
Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Correction to the VIN. It's J64889474. California added the J64 when the vehicle was originally titled. That number carried over when the car was re-titled in Texas. (clear title)

Old 12-09-2020, 03:46 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Beautiful Car....Nicely done!

Old 12-14-2020, 01:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No brokers or scammers, please.

Hey easy on the brokers! We are not all scammers. Many of us have clients that love us for the service we provide. Like the client that asked me to find a car that matches this description. He would be most interested in considering this car.

Would love to have more information.

Kelly Dietrick
Exceptional Car Broker
Philadelphia, PA

Old 12-14-2020, 03:57 PM

Well, tell him or her to contact me. And if you want to buy it, ask away.

Old 12-14-2020, 04:01 PM

Thank you sir. I actually sent the information to my client and did a quick check on the XKE database. I was unsure if it was a 3.8 or a 4.2. It is indeed a 3.8. Very pretty and well sorted car. Perhaps he will change his mind about the engine size once he sees the car. I did send you a PM. Will wait to hear from him before I ask for more info.
Thanks.

Kelly Dietrick

Old 12-14-2020, 04:33 PM

The 3,8 is generally regarded as the more sporting engine. Lighter flywheel, faster revs, higher red line, and the same horsepower. Coupled with the best four speed ever offered by Jaguar (the full synchro close ratio "EJ") this 3.8 car is unquestionably the superior driver's car. I rebuilt it with that in mind. The 4.2 was created primarily as Jaguar's sedan engine and it subtly changed the character of the E-type toward touring car. Likewise, the wide gear spacing available in most T5 based retrofits doesn't do the car any favors in the fun-to-drive category.

Last edited by 64etype; 12-14-2020 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-14-2020, 05:26 PM

Yes. Of this I am well aware. The 3.8 is certainly the more desirable of the two and will suit this clients purposes well. I sent him your comments to him for good measure.

Old 12-15-2020, 03:22 PM

We are interested in buying this car. Can you please contact me ASAP at 412-737-5593. Thank you.
Kelly Dietrick

Old 12-15-2020, 05:27 PM

Buyer beware on this car. I requested that the seller contact me several times as my buyer really liked the car. Seller refused to give me his name or location or additional information on the car. Finally I sent him this note:
I am not sure if these messages are reaching you but the buyer is calling me shortly and I do not feel comfortable talking about this car and how to close on it when I have never spoken to you in person. Would you please contact me as soon as possible at 412-737-5593 so we can discuss how to close on the car. I can write a BOS but I need your information to do that. I am assuming the car has a clean title.
Please contact me ASAP so we might be able to move forward.
Thank you.
Kelly Dietrick

To which he responded: What are you talking about...you write a Bill of Sale? You don't represent me and I don't want you to represent me. No, I won't contact you, but I will contact the site Administrators.

LOL I am guessing he is going to sell the car without a BOS? It is anyone's guess but I have been buying and selling high end cars for 15 years (I own two Jaguars too and have been a member here since 2018). One thing I have learned is if the seller is hard to work with the deal is not worth doing. Beware with this guy.

Old 12-15-2020, 06:05 PM

"Cargirl" has had zero questions about the vehicle....only requests for my personal information. Her assumption that I would want, or even permit her to write a Bill of Sale to a third party on my behalf is just bizarre. She is not my agent, nor do I wish for her to be my agent, nor do I wish to involve a broker in on the sale. The car will have a Bill of Sale, but not from a third party broker who attempts to insert herself into a sale...if in fact there even is a client. As I said in my original post....no brokers or scammers...I couldn't have been more clear. This "broker" is big trouble.

Last edited by 64etype; 12-15-2020 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-15-2020, 06:14 PM

You have my name. You would have had references and the buyer's name if you responded once to my questions. The seller wanted to see undercarriage pictures, who did the work on the car and has there been a compression test done. I found through the XK database (which Paul Sprulock keeps and which I contribute to) that the car was found in pieces and that the engine comes from another Jaguar. So I do my home work. We would have put down a deposit on an intent to purchase while we studied the photos you said you would supply. The car would be inspected by a local inspector. But we never got that far because you couldn't get past a competent broker requesting information. You can Google me all you like. Look for Cargirl (I am very active on many forums). Look for Exceptional Car Broker on Hemmings or Classic Cars or any number of advertising sites. I have been doing this for fifteen years and I have an excellent reputation. We dodged a bullet not dealing with you. I hope others take heed.

Old 12-15-2020, 07:25 PM

You get an "F-" on your homework. The car was purchased from a gentleman who had it in a shop that was doing work on the engine. The engine is absolutely not from another car. The original bonnet was at a paint shop waiting for the rest of the car before commencing paint. If you call that "in pieces, it's just a mean spirited attempt to discredit the vehicle and me. I bought it while still in the engine shop and asked them to finish the engine work. I then decided to completely disassemble the car, and after I did so circumstances forced me to pickle the project for about two decades. The engine work turned out to be slipshod when I opened it up, so it was completely rebuilt during my restoration. There is a paragraph on XKE data from the owner of another close serial number car, which refers to his vehicle being in pieces and having many parts missing. Go back to XKEDATA and read it again. This car was complete with original engine when I bought it.

I have no idea if you are competent (and I don't care). I do know that you just attempted to misrepresent my car, a decade of careful work, and me. I do know that you attempted to force yourself into the middle of a sale when I expressly said no brokers or scammers. I do know that you're telling us what your intentions would have been, but said no such things in your PMs. I do know that I suggested we stick to the PM venue for information exchange for the interim...you insisted on having my personal info. I really don't believe you have a buyer/client...and I really don't care. I don't like your tactics. I read the cautionary note at the top of Marketplace pages, and I'm dang glad I did. . Good riddance. "No brokers".

Old 12-15-2020, 07:39 PM

The car does not have the original engine. You keep calling it a series 2 (1968 to 70) which is big red flag since it is a 64. Let's agree to disagree.
XK Database

Besides lets leave the comments for the comment section on Bring A Trailer where you told me you were going to post it. Either way we will look elsewhere. Have yourself a Merry Christmas!! Also remember "Brokers are Bad. Brokers are Bad." LOL

Old 12-15-2020, 07:46 PM

You:: .you insisted on having my personal info. Do you mean your name and phone number so we could discuss the car like mature adults and not hide behind PM's? . Too funny. I was just getting you warmed up to ask for your bank information. It's almost Christmas and I have a new boat in my sights. You were too smart to be my mark - NEXT!

Old 12-15-2020, 08:05 PM

Wonders never cease. My client is still interested in the car. So you have a sale if you want one. If you decide to go forward we need your name and contact information so we can speak about the car like adults. We need undercarriage pictures, pictures of the car before the spray to check for rust and issues with the metal. Detailed pictures showing gaps. We have seen no interior or detailed engine pictures. The car will need an inspection and a compression test which we will of course pay for. You can of course write the Bill of Sale we would be happy to have you do it. We would also need a copy of the title front and back.
My name is Kelly Dietrick. My phone number is 412-737-5593 My email address is kelly@exceptionalcarbroker.com

The ball is in your court.

Old 12-15-2020, 08:12 PM

Also photos of the engine, data plate and chassis stamps. If I am wrong I would be the first to admit it. In cases like this I love being wrong.

Old 12-15-2020, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Cargirl
The car does not have the original engine. You keep calling it a series 2 (1968 to 70) which is big red flag since it is a 64. Let's agree to disagree.
XK Database

Besides lets leave the comments for the comment section on Bring A Trailer where you told me you were going to post it. Either way we will look elsewhere. Have yourself a Merry Christmas!! Also remember "Brokers are Bad. Brokers are Bad." LOL
What are you talking about? You're making things up. Where have I ever referred to the car as a Series 2? The engine listed on the XKEdata site is the correct engine for S/N 889474. No, I'm not letting this go...the site Administrators need to do something about this nonsense.

Rest assured If I list on BAT the site managers will have a heads up about you. I suspect you are known to them. Thank goodness I didn't give you any personal info...yikes!

Last edited by 64etype; 12-15-2020 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-15-2020, 08:43 PM

Save the buyers fee on an auction site and buy it direct. Hagerty lists the value of a number 2 Series one FHC at $147,000. If this isn't a top quality #2, I'll eat it.
Sir from the get go you have been combative. You can't take the joy out of my job because you don't like what I do. I have told you repeatedly that you have a beautiful car and that I had a serious buyer. You refused to exchange information so we can discuss the car over the phone. I buy and sell cars for a living. Every single solitary day. You simply refused to act in a professional manner. And yes I had a little fun with you. You are super cranky. But that has no bearing on the quality of your car.

As far as the engine goes you best go back to the XK Database and have them put in "original" instead of "other" in the engine section. For the record the XK database should not be considered the bible on any car's history since anyone can add comments and pictures about a car - even if they do not own it.

So step back. Take a breath. I am a legitimate broker that has a client that is interested in your car. We are not asking you to reduce the price of the car. We think it is fair given your description. The next step in the process is that you send the information requested above so he can decide how to proceed. Isn't that why we are all here? To find your car a new home?

One final thing. When I mentioned the BAT comments section. I am on there. I have 250 likes. Maybe more. I haven't checked in a while (I am more of a Barnfinds person). But if you put this car on BAT and they check the Jaguar database or they have any misgivings about your car at all they will kill the value from the peanut gallery with their comments - informed or not.

Last edited by Cargirl; 12-15-2020 at 08:47 PM. Reason: typos
Old 12-16-2020, 01:07 PM

Crickets Eric. I hear Crickets. Good luck with the sale of your car on BAT. You had a buyer.