Marketplace Introducing our new Marketplace! Browse new listings, post your items for sale, or list a wanted ad.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scammers Trolling Classified Ads

Wanted

Miscellaneous

10-24-2021, 11:19 PM | Replies: 1 | Views: 646

• Price
    Any Price
  • Location Chula Vista, CA, 91913, USA
  • Condition Used
Description:

I posted a parts wanted ad some time ago.  A couple of legitimate contacts were made but the parts were not quite correct.  Then I got an email from someone named Chris Moore who asked it I found the part.  Let him know that I had not.  He said he had it and we agreed on a price.  I said I would pay through Paypal and he gave me a paypal address with someone else's name on it.  Paypal added what I thought was an "insurance" fee of $3.50 so I went ahead.  Moore then contacted me and said the person who got the money refused to give it to him and suggested I pay him again and he would ship the parts.  Yeah, right.
I attempted to open a case with PayPal but surprisingly their "Resolution Center" does not seem to have any category for this sort of issue.
Point is, the warning here should have been heeded.  Use an escrow.  Apparently scammers troll these want ads and use them to find suckers like me.  Lesson learned.

Old 10-24-2021, 11:58 PM
Received 362 Likes on 141 Posts
Default They're out there.....

That's been my experience too. I have a few wanted ads posted on some of the GM LS sites and I get some of those replies too. Often they'll send me a pic of the part that they found on the web, which you can do as well by doing a Google search yourself and look at the image results. And of course the pic they sent isn't of a part they own.,

One tactic some buyers use is to ask the seller to send a new picture of the part with a handwritten note on it with your name and the date. That usually trips up the scammers. A real seller would do that in a second. (assuming he actually has the part....). I've started asking for that and it works....

Hey, and don't be shy- pass along the user name of the guy who scammed you to the forum moderator- ask for his account to be closed....

Good luck

Andrew
Jaguar Specialties

Last edited by JaguarSpecialties; 10-25-2021 at 09:38 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JaguarSpecialties:
ralphwg (10-25-2021), Stuart S (11-22-2021)