Memorial Section Please visit here to pay your respects to those forum members no longer with us.

Rip Riski..

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Please let's not go there... No better than the "speculative posters" on news sites.
He was a good guy that I poked at many times..
We were not there.
We don't know what was really involved and we probably won't.
Honor him as a friend and pay respect...
Honestly, that isn't the point, the point here is not to judge and get up on soap boxes but to remember a fallen comrade...

I read a little about it and this morning saw 08Z06's post and almost wrote something then... I was afraid this would start to go off the rails...
Please, I beg of all of you to just remember Riski for what he was.. A lover of fast cars...Leave the judgement for those in heaven and the courts....
You got it exactly right.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Mods,

Could you please combine all of Joe`s threads into the memorial one?

Old 01-30-2011, 11:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking a bit about the guy, in the comments section of that article, who claimed to have been 'there'. While it is highly likely that he was (at some point) at the site of impact...it is highly unlikely that he witnessed "drag racing for several miles" unless he was also racing.

Imagine how fast that STR was (top speed is 155 in stock configuration); for the witness to be 'there' sufficiently to claim to see several miles of drag racing, he has to both be racing and have a car fast enough to keep up.

So...given that he is probably a witness after the fact, try not to dwell too much on his moral judgments; they are likely driven by speculation (though I personally believe his recount of actual events to be accurate).

Old 01-30-2011, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Guys, you really should wait for the investigation results before you dismiss ANY of the potential causes of this horrible accident. AFAIK no one on this board was there. The police, attorneys for the inevitable civil lawsuit and the DA's office will probably get to the bottom of this. Until that happens let's not get upset with each other.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:34 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

http://legacy.suntimes.com/obituarie...4010&fhid=4146

Paliokaitis, Joe F. III age 32 of North Aurora. Loving son of Joe (Kathy) and Pat (Greg) Adams. Beloved brother of Tom, Mike, Tamara and Kayle. Loving nephew to many aunts and uncles. Many other relatives and friends. He was a paratrooper in the 82nd airborne in the United States Army. Joe was avid motorsports enthusiast. He was always there and ready to protect the ones he loved. Joe was also a man of his word and he was always organized. Funeral service will be Wednesday February 2 at 10 am at Brust Funeral Home 415 N. Gary Ave Carol Stream. Visitation will be Tuesday February 1 from 2-9p.m. at the funeral home. Interment will be at River Hills Cemetery Batavia, IL. For info cal (630)510-0044.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:51 PM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

I have mixed feelings about adding to this sad thread. Having said that I can tell you what we now know. Two people are dead and one a member of this forum. I am somewhat saddened by the publishing of a purported eye witness that in fact was not an eye witness to the actual collision.

Assuming Riski was street racing miles before the accident, as the eye witness stated, does not establish he was in fact racing at the time of the accident. He was either not wearing his seatbelt and/or the inborn seatbelt anchor failed. In a head on collision, assuming both vehicles were traveling 50mph plus or minus, is like hitting an immovable wall at 50mph plus or minus conditional upon the other vehicles speed. The force of impact will blow the front doors open concurrently with the air bag activation, the driver gets squirted/launched out the opening usually striking his head on the top of the door jamb as the rear of the car moves vertically. Sadly, usually a fatality as the Mechanics of Injury (MOI) dictate.

This accident could just as likely have been the fault of the oncoming vehicle swerving to miss an animal, inattention, medical factors and numerous other possibilities. We don't know and neither does the eye witness who was in fact not an eye witness to the actual collision.

As Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear has said a number of times when his time comes "he wants to go spinning out backwards in a fireball". Riski died as he lived - doing what he loved most - motoring.

And yes, I have attended many an MVA fatality as a paramedic trained in MV Accident Reconstruction. I am confident the Accident Reconstructionist Team, the attending Medical Examiner and the Coroner will determine the cause of the accident and accordingly assign blame. Whatever that outcome we all lost someone we never actually met. I would have liked him in person as I did online. He was at times abrasive, humorous and knew his sh*t when it came to anything motorized with rubber tires.

Rest in Peace Buddy

Last edited by searanch; 01-30-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:32 PM
tot
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by searanch
In a head on collision, assuming both vehicles were traveling 50mph, is like hitting an immovable wall at 100mph.
Not true. It is like hitting a wall at 50mph if the cars have identical mass.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:45 PM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by tot
Not true. It is like hitting a wall at 50mph if the cars have identical mass.
You are absolutely right - I stand corrected...

Old 01-30-2011, 04:52 PM
Rae
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Life Is Short

What a nice idea to have this section. I wept as I read the threads relating to Riski's passing. I did not know him or read the S-Type Forum, and yet I was extremely moved by his passing. We're all in this journey together, and it is indeed a sad day when one's life is ended in such a tragic way. I'm sure he'll be missed by all.
Ralph
99xj8

Old 01-30-2011, 05:49 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I never had the pleasure to meet Riski...reading of this news tonight broke my heart. God Bless his family and friends.

SIXXDOGG

Attached Thumbnails Rip Riski..-car-summer-2010.jpg  
Old 01-30-2011, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Whatever the accident reconstruction case reveals as the causal agent, two people- two families are in shambles. Awesome idea to consolidate Riski's threads in to a "Memorial Thread". I cleared two feet of snow off my 03 STR at high noon and fired her up in Riski's honor...Revved her for a minute then shut her down. Anyone have the ability to invite Joe "Riski"'s brother Tom to this forum, so we may have a peek into his brothers life outside this forum? Wow, Riski was a paratrooper in the 82nd Airborne? They're a first line of defence for the U.S. Army...you don't mess with these guys. Let's see if we can learn more about this Jag, crotch rocket, Vette, and MILF enthusiast. You're ok with us Riski.

Last edited by bfsgross; 01-30-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:50 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I registered on the chicago forum and it almost makes me wish i lived there. So many car meets there its insane. From his posts and videos, he seemed like a really super cool dude. Its a shame really, i can see hanging out with that guy all the time since we are so similar...single, late 20's and living it up hard. Most people who drive Jags are not like that! What a cool guy, and a big shame. He was an avid xbox gamer, partier, fun and outgoing person from what i have seen. He died doing what he loved though...and it all came to an end too quick.

Last edited by 08Z06; 01-30-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:54 PM

I have a friend working in Cook County as an EMT, and I shot him an email (for what it's worth). Wondering if he knows anything...

Old 01-30-2011, 11:11 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is very sad news to hear about any person who lost his/her life in an auto accident. It just touches one that much more deeper when one is so close, yet so far away from where the tragedy took place. Riski will be missed by all, not just the forum members, his friends and family. A very gloomy day has come to all that knew him. I talked to him a few times on the forum and he was a very helpful individial indeed. I did not know him as a friend, but my heart feels very heavy with the news I heard. A very sad day indeed. Riski you will be missed.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:14 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

wow.. can't believe this is happen.
i was away on the weekend to read such an awful news. I was actually away on a family funeral, a friend funeral (both in Grand Isle Louisiana) and to hear Risky news....

this is a sad day for us in the forum...
he will be missed....

Old 01-31-2011, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Phil_Deeznuutz
Imagine how fast that STR was (top speed is 155 in stock configuration); for the witness to be 'there' sufficiently to claim to see several miles of drag racing, he has to both be racing and have a car fast enough to keep up.
I just happened to find this post by chance... I'm shopping XJR's for my wife and was doing some searching.

At any rate, it's very possible for someone to witness miles of racing in this area without racing themselves. It's a two lane highway that opens up to 4 lanes for stoplights and then merges right back to two lanes after the lights. If they were racing, it's quite likely that they were drag racing to the merge and would have had several opportunities to do so within a few miles.

Unfortunately I can't say that given the opportunity, I wouldn't race in that area. I certainly won't now but it's unfortunate that someone had to lose their life for that to sink in...

Old 01-31-2011, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mike_K
It's a two lane highway that opens up to 4 lanes for stoplights and then merges right back to two lanes after the lights. If they were racing, it's quite likely that they were drag racing to the merge and would have had several opportunities to do so within a few miles.
I think I understand now...is it sort of set up where there is a light every...say...2000 or 3000 meters, and they could have been racing from light to light (while a non-racing motorist could have caught up to them every light or two while it was red)?

Old 01-31-2011, 07:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of us only knew Riski from this very forum and yet this tragic news still hurts. So sorry to see him gone although. like one poster said - Riski went the way he lived. And that's really all we could ask for. RIP.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:54 AM
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

RIP Riski, very sad news.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:13 PM
Received 61 Likes on 7 Posts

May God bless his family and bring them peace from this tragedy. I didn't get a chance to meet or talk to Riski but I read a few of his posts and admired his car quite a bit. It is certainly evident he will be missed and was appreciated not only here in the states, but in the UK on their forums also.

This really is sad news. I believe that Riski has left us with great memories and will be remembered as a fun loving, heavy on the throttle, helpful, friend to everyone here.

Quick Reply: Rip Riski..