MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

1960 MK2 not a restoration, not a rusto rod, just a Bonus Trap

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2022, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 311 Likes on 243 Posts

I think if you like any of the Austin Martin hoods you will need to either make the scoop yourself with fiberglass, or pay a body shop to do it in fiberglass or metal. I do not think anyone sells just the scoop and a used Austin hood when you can find them are often around $6,000 and then you would need to hack it up or make a mold from it and that would add thousands more...

I think a body shop could make that scoop and you would spend less and you could customize it exactly to how you want it.

Old 03-01-2022, 08:46 AM
Received 161 Likes on 120 Posts

As awful as this thing looks Clyde, it confirms that a scoop can work and look good in the process. Width is perfect as it plays off the scuttle vent and wipers. The rear edge needs to be flush with the hood/cowl so as not to disrupt that line. Picture it without the pointy side extensions at the front, and without the raised flange around the base - it works. Like the Astons, I think longer would also help - a more horizontal profile making it taller and more aggressive, or a curved line following the hood more in keeping with the elegance of the car. And forget Glyn - your preference is not all that matters. How about a couple of mockups sculpted out of foam boards and shot with primer?

Old 03-01-2022, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,339 Likes on 1,005 Posts

My approach to this type of question is to ask what Heynes, Sayer, Lyons and co would have done if given the problem. For sure, they had no difficulties with bonnet bulges. Just as sure, an Aston type forward facing scoop would be rejected for its aesthetics, effectiveness and not being Jaguar. I think they'd be looking at either something like that on the E-type, perhaps broadened and foreshortened, or that on the series XJ, tapering out to nothing at the leading and trailing edges of the hood panel. With something E-type style, it might be possible to smooth the bulge into the heater intake on the scuttle. I'd try mocking things up with cardboard, paper, lengths of wire, plasticine and foam, keeping in mind Glyn's point about making the curves consistent with the other curves of the car.

However, opinions are merely opinions. As Doug says, it's your car and you're the one who has to be happy with the result.

Old 03-01-2022, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,112 Likes on 720 Posts

Its not a Mk2 Jaguar anymore so what does it matter. Do what you think looks best for yourself although in my opinion I would try and change the air filter for something that sits under the original bonnet. Could you not build a RAM air induction system that sat on top of the carburettor and directed air from the front of the car via airducts and air filters to the top of the carb. Something low profile which sits below the level of the bonnet.

Old 03-01-2022, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,463 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Dooren
And forget Glyn - your preference is not all that matters. How about a couple of mockups sculpted out of foam boards and shot with primer?
The very reason I stated " It's your car so your preference is all that matters." & "It's your car and with a good metal worker you can pretty much shape it in as you prefer."

ps. The other thing I would do it in metal to prevent later cracking.

Astons were of course Aluminium.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 03-01-2022 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-01-2022, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member

Remember a lot of early Aston Zagato's had humps. As a hand-built car you could have a scoop if you wanted one.

Old 03-01-2022, 06:04 PM
Received 193 Likes on 126 Posts

Glyn,
Thanks for the pictures and great advice.
Glyn & Primaz
Metal does make the most sense. Off to Customs Unlimited.

The following users liked this post:
Glyn M Ruck (03-02-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 06:15 PM

Doug,
As always great eye on how to look as what there at the moment. Thanks.
There were only two at Summit Racing that were close to dimensions. Everything else is too wide or too long or to high. Or all of the previous.
I got most of what you said except the "horizontal" part.

Old 03-02-2022, 09:25 AM
Received 161 Likes on 120 Posts

The horizontal reference was to this view Clyde. The hood slopes continually downward from the cowl to the nose. A scoop with a relatively straight (i.e. horizontal) top surface would finish with a larger opening at the front and give a more aggressive profile. One with a curved top surface following the line of the hood (front to back) would suit the style of the car better but result in a lower opening. Either way it looks like clearance will be an issue if your starting point is the scuttle vs something that steps up at the rear like the scoop here, and that's why I was asking about lowering the mount for the element. One of the other aspects of the Aston scoops that's so appealing is their proportion/length relative to the overall bonnet. I'd probably add at least 6 or 8" to the length of the one pictured here, bringing the front edge to about 2 o'clock on the tire. Hope this makes sense.
Glyn, my humor is often lost on folks (sarcasm can be dangerous). Clyde needs to understand that whatever he decides will require the approval of a majority here (or me at least):0)

Old 03-02-2022, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 311 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Dooren
The horizontal reference was to this view Clyde. The hood slopes continually downward from the cowl to the nose. A scoop with a relatively straight (i.e. horizontal) top surface would finish with a larger opening at the front and give a more aggressive profile. One with a curved top surface following the line of the hood (front to back) would suit the style of the car better but result in a lower opening. Either way it looks like clearance will be an issue if your starting point is the scuttle vs something that steps up at the rear like the scoop here, and that's why I was asking about lowering the mount for the element. One of the other aspects of the Aston scoops that's so appealing is their proportion/length relative to the overall bonnet. I'd probably add at least 6 or 8" to the length of the one pictured here, bringing the front edge to about 2 o'clock on the tire. Hope this makes sense.
Glyn, my humor is often lost on folks (sarcasm can be dangerous). Clyde needs to understand that whatever he decides will require the approval of a majority here (or me at least):0)

Doug has a good eye and I agree. Clyde, if you absolutely know exactly how you want it then go straight to your metal fabricator BUT if you do not I would think about playing around with foam on that hood and experiment until you get it how you want and are 100% happy, then bring it to the metal fab whom can then can fabricate it out of metal. To me it sounds like you are not 100% sure so I would play around as you can adhere the foam, then shave, sand, etc. and repeat as many times until you get the right shape as it is easy to remove and costs next to nothing. I think there are a lot of possibilities to experiment with as the height does not seem huge and rather than being restricted by some scoop made for another car, going from scratch to me is best so that there is nothing restricting your creativity. It is all about your taste since it is your car

Old 03-02-2022, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

The BMW fraternity like what they call the power dome. The one on the car below is actually much deeper than it looks in the photo. And, on a Mk2, it might benefit from being more curvy.

Last edited by Peter3442; 03-02-2022 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-02-2022, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
lickahotskillet (03-03-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

White car ~ Always de-emphasizes that sort of detail.

Old 03-02-2022, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member

Why the hell not. I'll give my direct opinion. I would go this way suitably sized & curved for the Jag Bonnet/Hood & using typical Jag lines, curves & spacing's. This was a one - off for an Aston (very close to a DB4GT but fitted to a DB6). For the Jag it might have to be a little shorter because of the Mk2's narrower bonnet/hood nose. This customer wanted the scoop aperture a little higher than standard & the side pieces of the aperture to extend a little further forward than standard. (DB6 ~ to more like DB4GT)

A good metal worker could get that perfect as a finished piece in a day depending on the number of changes you want along the way. Ready for undercoating.

Criticism of this could well highlight Clyde's preferences. His likes & dislikes. His quiet thoughts that he does not have to share with us.

This is a standard DB6 MkII. The above has been made more DB4GT like sans longer chassis & Kamm tail.)

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 03-03-2022 at 06:21 AM.
Old 03-03-2022, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member

Note DB6 headlight.

Old 03-03-2022, 02:04 PM
Default Differing views

All,
I like direct.
I like sarcastic.
My humor can be a little or a lot on the antagonistic side.

Scoops
The car is getting a scoop. I like he DB4**'s. The MK2 hood is short and that presents some of the problem. I like the horizontal idea. I need to re-level the car. Front scoop has a better chance of "wrecking" the lines of the car the least. Cowl opening makes it more of a hot rod. Jag, BMW, Aston bubbles are a possibility, but lower on my list. Neither cowl or frontal scoops would or will be open to the outside. I just might come home in the rain.
I like Doug's eye that the plastic started at the outside edges of the cowl vent. Metal scoops will allow the scoop to be narrower. No flange or not much of a flange is necessary passing the hole in the hood.
A cowl induction scoop it on the way from Summit Racing. I know it will not pass muster, but may provoke more ideas. Maybe I'll do a cardboard mock-up DB without rounded edges for discussion.

Not on the table
Lower air filter - chokes off the air flow.
Lower manifold - the only manifold made for these heads is on the car, and they don't make it anymore. Any other manifold would be a hand made sheet metal one.
Elbow from the carb to inner fender opening - Elbow still sticks above the hood line and flows less than the carb.

Ford Windsor in name only
The only Ford part on this engine is used timing scale on the cam belt housing.

In the mean time
I'm buffing engine cases, valve covers, etc. for a '76 Yamaha XS 650, covering the wood from the top of the MK2 console in leather, working on the hood design for the MK2, finishing the interior wiring, and getting the '77 XJ12L ready for the summer driving season.

Thanks again for the design and engineering assistance.

Glyn M Ruck (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 02:10 PM
Default Back up the thread V8 Vantage

V8 Vantage open scoop is hot! Makes me ask the question.

Loose the leaper?

Glyn M Ruck (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 02:25 PM
Default Misc.

Cut the shifter hole in the wood - car was an automatic. Factory hole for stick was in the aluminum but not the wood. Carbon fiber project is done.

Carbon fiber wrap project complete

Shifter hole cut, covering the wood in leather. Will attempt a leather boot.

Old 03-03-2022, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member

I agree with rain/water management. Even if the scoop has a frontal opening of your choice there are many tricks to keep the water out of the engine compartment.

A bog standard Aston scoop allows no water into the engine compartment. It is channeled away.

Old 03-03-2022, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lickahotskillet
V8 Vantage open scoop is hot! Makes me ask the question.

Loose the leaper?
V8 Vantage scoop is hot. No reason for not having leaper in front of/ahead of scoop where the Jag narrows. The Jag nose shaping can take it and there is the alternative of the smaller 420 leaper. Closed "scoops" look odd to me. Let me shut up & have some alternative input.

Excuse my passion for Astons. I have 1000's of pics.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 03-03-2022 at 03:24 PM.

Quick Reply: 1960 MK2 not a restoration, not a rusto rod, just a Bonus Trap