MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

1966 3.8S what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,463 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeSantana
I found this, Jose, and I think it adheres to your suggestion about not overdoing it.
<REFINISHING EARLY JAGUAR WOODWORK
I think I will follow this as a guide for DIYers.
I am lucky to have an original unrestored dash in my '65 S type, in beautiful shape with a beautiful patina, so I haven't had to deal with refinishing. here's partial pictures.

Attached Thumbnails 1966 3.8S what to look for?-jaguarinterior.jpg   1966 3.8S what to look for?-lamp-switch.jpg  
Old 09-29-2012, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 311 Likes on 243 Posts
Default I hope those are the before pictures?

I don't doubt it's a tricky business refinishing the wood in a Jag. But I have to say that I met a fellow a couple of years ago at the Forest Grove Concours here in Oregon who refinished the wood himself. Had never done it before. It was a beautiful job.

My only related experience is with my Packard, recreating the simulated wood on metal. I'd never done that before either. I'm kind of fussy about authenticity, so I chose the original woodgrain that a few months after introduction of the 1940s the dealers rejected. They didn't like the mottled aspen grain. But recreating woodgrain can be done by an amateur. It will be a few months before I start on the wood this 3.8, but this is what the starting point will look like for me, in the attached photos.

I guess what I'm saying is It's worth a try to do it yourself, if you get support from others who have done it. You learn a new skill and you have the satisfaction of saying Yes I restored it myself. If you mess up badly, then you can still pay the big bucks and have the satisfaction of saying that I paid for this myself.
I hope those pictures you posted where his before pictures or your before pictures as that dash and wood definately needs restoration as it does not look very good at all.

Madera Concepts is a company I would recommend to provide a high quality wood restoration or repairs. Here is what a high quality wood restored should look like: Madera Concepts - Jaguars

Old 09-30-2012, 03:46 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, those are before pix. No, I haven't started on the wood yet. I don't have photos of the wood interior that was D-I-Y finished. Jose and I agree that the over-urethaned super gloss that some restorers produce is not an original look. I'm not sure I would go so far as to not varnish, just stain and min wax, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, which is a ways away, if you're following the 1961 MK2 3.8 Sedan project thread.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, those are before pix. No, I haven't started on the wood yet. I don't have photos of the wood interior that was D-I-Y finished. Jose and I agree that the over-urethaned super gloss that some restorers produce is not an original look. I'm not sure I would go so far as to not varnish, just stain and min wax, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, which is a ways away, if you're following the 1961 MK2 3.8 Sedan project thread.
I think the hard part is really making the grain, color, pattern perfect so it looks like the orginal book matched pattern. As far as super gloss versus the factory I really think you should decide that for yourself. The factory did have more than a stain/wax look but are you really going to show the car in a concourse situation? If you look at nationally respected shops like Madera (often ranked as the #1 restoration for factory wood) they often restore them to a close to high gloss look, or high gloss but that might be customer driven? I personally like the more high gloss look but the stain/color/grain is what to me separates jobs from the DIY look. Also the newer vaneers that we have today even if you do not go overboard on the coats are better than the old technology as they will hold up to more wear from UV, etc. To me it is that Jag sports cars will always command the big dollars versus sedans so why not make the car what you want as you will not make big dollars on the sedans.

Last edited by primaz; 10-01-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,463 Likes on 1,852 Posts

here's the real thing, a totally original dash except for a smaller steering wheel which I prefer to the 17" extra-large original pizza. No refinishing here, original grain and lacquer and even lacquer checking!!

the steering wheel is a "Tourist Trophy" from Moss Motors I got in 2005, black leather, black anonized spokes, and super thick grip. I fabricated the horn-push myself, the growler emblem is one of two Jaguar emblems that came with my XJ-6 Momo steering wheel purchased in 1991 (a growler and a leaper), when Momo was still making Jaguar emblems, but Ford stopped all aftermarket vendors from reproducing Jaguar emblems or get sued.

Attached Thumbnails 1966 3.8S what to look for?-s-type-interior.jpg   1966 3.8S what to look for?-s-type-steering-wheel.jpg  
Old 10-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Todat I went in to a local classic car body repairer, (he did a small job on my MG Midget early this year - excellent !). He had a bare S-type shell in for repair. Whow, what rust, it was really, really bad !! This is a big job, but he knows exactly what to do. I was quite surprised at the number of panels he had obtained from Martin Robey, a well-know Jaguar metal panels supplier. Much is common to the Mark 2. So job should be finished in a month then its off to the paint shop. The owner must have a very large budget !!

Old 10-04-2013, 05:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '66 Mk X with refinished wood work

Here's the dash of my '66 Mk X I refinished over 20 years ago. Took it out, stripped it, put many, many coats of tung oil rubbed down with steel wool and finished with paste wax when I thought the finish looked right.

Attached Thumbnails 1966 3.8S what to look for?-dash1_zpsef21dbde.jpg   1966 3.8S what to look for?-dash2_zps25d0c1f4.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
lickahotskillet (10-28-2015)
Old 10-05-2013, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member

Curtpen,

the wood looks nice you must take a lot of care and/or not drive the car much