MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

1967 420 restoration

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2022, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts
Default 1967 420 restoration

Hi All!

Been through many 1990s-2000s jags, but this will be my first classic. Any and ALL input very welcome- I intend to chronicle the restoration in this thread. It is my busy season at work, so I will be posting a few, then after November will start the resto in earnest.

1. California car as far as I can tell, little rust on the passenger wing and under the accelerator pedal. I expect to find more, but from my eyes, it never saw a damp climate. Engine looks as though it hasn't been torn down at any time (original clamps on some hoses) so I think the odometer reading (38K miles) may not be far off. We shall see. The seats wee recovered in vinyl, so looking where I can find leather at a reasonable price.

2. Current plan is pearl white with ? color interior. The original color was that metallic blue. I am *considering* metallic blue or gunmetal grey along with white.

3. idea is to get it to daily driver status, then chip away at one area at a time. I am shooting for a 1 year timeframe.

Here is the first pic:

The following users liked this post:
Don B (10-08-2022)
Old 09-26-2022, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

These cars were a very late (1966), re-iteration of the S-type that itself was a development of the Mark 2. Not many were made and the XJ6 came out very shortly afterwards in 1968. Replacing the seat covers with leather is likely to be quite expensive. You can buy them ready-made to fit from several UK suppliers, but I'm not sure about the US. The alternative is to get them made from scratch using the old covers as a pattern.
If it were me, I'd concentrate on getting the bodywork sorted out and any mechanical stuff done, as you say you want a daily driver. A brake overhaul looks an essential first step. The suspension is independent all-round and the parts are widely available as they were used on most of the Jaguar saloons. It also has the Marles Varamatic power steering which is probably the best power steering system using a steering box. The XJ6 and subsequent saloons used power racks. If you look at the front style of your car, and then at the XJ6, you can see the similarity.
I see your car has some additional side chrome that is not original.
The ride should be very close to the XJ6, i.e a Magic Carpet !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar...6%E2%80%931969)

https://www.classicandsportscar.com/...mler-sovereign

Best of luck with your "new" car.

Last edited by Fraser Mitchell; 09-26-2022 at 06:28 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Fraser Mitchell:
Don B (10-08-2022), Glyn M Ruck (09-28-2022), redtriangle (10-17-2022)
Old 09-26-2022, 10:22 PM
Received 1,040 Likes on 605 Posts

dsnyder586
I suspect you are in the wrong part of the forum.
The 420 actually belongs in the Mk1, MK2, S type area. The 420 is the ultimate form derived from these cars.
The 420G which is the outgrowth of the original MK10 belongs in this part of the forum. It is also a much larger car.
Cheers

The following users liked this post:
S-Type Owner (09-27-2022)
Old 09-27-2022, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member

Cheers Bill!

ADMIN: Can you move this to the appropriate forum? Thank you!

Old 09-28-2022, 12:40 PM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by dsnyder586
Cheers Bill!

ADMIN: Can you move this to the appropriate forum? Thank you!
DONE

Graham

Old 09-28-2022, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
DONE

Graham
THANK YOU!!!

Old 09-28-2022, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member

Ok- so I pulled plugs, removed the fan and am able to crank the motor over. No scary noises. oil is light brown and no sparkles that I can see. Totally sweet Earl Scheib paint job right over the old original paint. its soooooo bad.
The ignition switch is removed and the wires twisted together- anyone have a good pic of the wires plugged into the ignition switch?

5/6 cylinders above 120psi right away. one was low- 25. I poured in some seafoam, then oil and got 40. Next day, 70. Looks like maybe a stuck ring? I am optimistic. I have to be, right? I will try and get it running next week after new wires arrive and I sort out the ignition switch issue (ordered a new switch in case needed)

Ned distributer with electronic ignition coming, but I will wait to install until I know it runs. interior is vinyl (WHY????( and a little rough but all there. rust on the front and rear fender as expected.

Headlights and taillights/hazards all work. yay?

Any and all tips welcome....I am brand new at this classic Jag game.

More pic forthcoming as I tear down.

Old 09-28-2022, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 702 Likes on 507 Posts

Do you have the rear bumper, and that side chrome has to go, it's just that stuff you buy at the auto store that sticks on ?

Bit of a rare beasty with the steel sunroof.

For a California car it seems quite rusty, must have had a home on the coast.

A year is a bit optimistic, maybe for the body _ is it going to be a wheel barrel restoration, as in wheel barrel full of money, or are you doing most of it yourself ?

Last edited by JeffR1; 09-28-2022 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-28-2022, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,532 Likes on 661 Posts

For the compression issue, check what I did with my V12 XJS, posts 9 through 27. Long story short - a lot of Marvel Mystery Oil saved the day.

If it was my car, I'd buy some automotive grade leather and a walking-foot sewing machine and make my own. But I realize not everyone is as insane as I am.

I agree with the comments here - getting it stopping then running well first. The cosmetics should be near the end of the list.

Old 09-28-2022, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JeffR1
Do you have the rear bumper, and that side chrome has to go, it's just that stuff you buy at the auto store that sticks on ?

Bit of a rare beasty with the steel sunroof.

For a California car it seems quite rusty, must have had a home on the coast.

A year is a bit optimistic, maybe for the body _ is it going to be a wheel barrel restoration, as in wheel barrel full of money, or are you doing most of it yourself ?
No, but I have a line on a rear bumper.

I'll be doing it myself, welding, paint and all. Interior will be the highest cost. leather aint cheap. I *may* be able to send it to another country to be done for less, working on that angle.

Also, and WOW- ELECTRIC sunroof

Old 09-28-2022, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,532 Likes on 661 Posts

I'll be doing it myself, welding, paint and all. Interior will be the highest cost. leather aint cheap. I *may* be able to send it to another country to be done for less, working on that angle.
43 sq ft for just over $200 isn't cheap but it's not that bad, either...

Old 09-28-2022, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Thorsen
43 sq ft for just over $200 isn't cheap but it's not that bad, either...
Sorry, meant the whole enchilada including stiching.

Got my first order in today, may look at the ignition tonight.

Old 09-28-2022, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,098 Likes on 713 Posts

Compression should be about 160 psi plus so keep pouring the seafoam in to the cylinders.
The vinyl is called Ambla and to be truthful although it was supposed to be a cheap alternative to leather fitted by Jaguar to save some money, (leather was an option but cost more) if you had a leather interior you would be throwing it away now. Judging by the condition of the car it does look as though it has been sat for a time and the leather untreated would have dried up and cracked by now. I have black Ambla in my S type and it still looks new 54 years on.

It took me 18 months (by myself) from purchase to back on the road with my S type but I took it back to bare metal and removed every nut and bolt, everything was cleaned, polished, refurbished and if needed bought new. I think a year to get a good running and driving car is doable but with all these things other things get in the way. Do not set a target date but if you do, say a year then add 9 months as a contingency. Same with the money budget. Either do not set a budget or if you do set a number and then double it plus add another 50% as a contingency. I thought I was done and then found I had to have the gearbox rebuilt as the car was not running when I bought it and I wrongly assumed the gearbox was OK.
Although there are not many 420s on this forum the 420 shared a lot of parts with the Mk2 and the S Type and there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum that you can tap into so don't be afraid of asking questions because we love to answer them. If you want a 420 service manual on a PDF file send me a PM with your e mail and I will send one to you as a present.

Old 09-28-2022, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cass3958
Compression should be about 160 psi plus so keep pouring the seafoam in to the cylinders.
The vinyl is called Ambla and to be truthful although it was supposed to be a cheap alternative to leather fitted by Jaguar to save some money, (leather was an option but cost more) if you had a leather interior you would be throwing it away now. Judging by the condition of the car it does look as though it has been sat for a time and the leather untreated would have dried up and cracked by now. I have black Ambla in my S type and it still looks new 54 years on.

It took me 18 months (by myself) from purchase to back on the road with my S type but I took it back to bare metal and removed every nut and bolt, everything was cleaned, polished, refurbished and if needed bought new. I think a year to get a good running and driving car is doable but with all these things other things get in the way. Do not set a target date but if you do, say a year then add 9 months as a contingency. Same with the money budget. Either do not set a budget or if you do set a number and then double it plus add another 50% as a contingency. I thought I was done and then found I had to have the gearbox rebuilt as the car was not running when I bought it and I wrongly assumed the gearbox was OK.
Although there are not many 420s on this forum the 420 shared a lot of parts with the Mk2 and the S Type and there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum that you can tap into so don't be afraid of asking questions because we love to answer them. If you want a 420 service manual on a PDF file send me a PM with your e mail and I will send one to you as a present.
Thank you Cass- sage words indeed. I would love the pdf if you do not mind- dsnyder586 at g m a il dot c om

I don't have a hard date it needs to be done, I'll make it a daily and then attack the more difficult problems (rust etc.) I can almost everything (motor, trans, bodywork, paint, welding) I am just not great at stitching. I should learn lol. I had no idea leather was an option... hmm. The covers are really not that bad of shape, but I think I will do leather.

Bare metal is probably my only option at this point- the paint is sooo bad. Did you replace all the fastners, or re- anodize them? I would love to be able to preserve as many as possible. At least the ones you can see.

Old 09-28-2022, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,443 Likes on 1,838 Posts

the 420 shares many parts with the S type before it, like the rear bumper. Actually, it is an S type from the windshield back, with a slightly different dash. The front clip has a 4.2 engine.

Old 09-28-2022, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jose
the 420 shares many parts with the S type before it, like the rear bumper. Actually, it is an S type from the windshield back, with a slightly different dash. The front clip has a 4.2 engine.
VERY good to know. Anyone holding a rear bumper in Socal? Wallets open.

Old 09-28-2022, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member

VERY good to know. Anyone holding a rear bumper in Socal? Wallets open.
I will send you info. via PM.
Also I have a website for S type parts just in case:
https://classicstypeparts.webstarts.com

Old 09-28-2022, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,437 Likes on 1,113 Posts

Buy a full upholstery kit from John Skinner. Makes the interior easy. Covers the entire interior. That's what I did & they use accurate materials unlike BAS.

https://john-skinner.co.uk/

Old 09-28-2022, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks chaps!

Dont see pricing on the sknner site..

D

Old 09-28-2022, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks chaps!